Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

RB Problems....

Stampede

Waterboy
If or when our offensive line improves, people will say gee, Carr is really looking good out there, wow, did you see how Dayne ran the ball today?...jeepers, look at Gado go go go. You can have the best transmission in the world but you wont go very far if the engine breaks down.

My only thought on this is that we will be about 5-11 and out of the running for Peterson.
Before the season started and I thought we had a decent Defense, I predicted 4/12. Now that I have seen our D play in "real" games, that may be a little high. Yes we beat Miami, but so will allot of other teams. Our hopes lies in the Titans and Raiders. Maybe the Browns. We are still in for a long season and another high draft pick. It may not be the 1st one, but definately in the top 5. I hope I am wrong though.

But until we can field a team that can compete with Indy for the Division, I would rather keep on drafting key players high in the draft and then one day, BAM, we will be right where we want to be. A Contender and not a pretender...

R

real

I still think Gado can have a impact, but the holes just don't seem to be opening up right now. I miss the s##t out of DD.
The thing I don't like about Gado is that if the hole isn't there, he gets stopped...there is a such thing as a cutback....none of our backs seem to know this...

Running back problems start with no push from the o-line . Sherman needs to think about building an o-line for the future not run a retirement camp for Green Bay left overs!! Brad Bedell was horrible when he subed for Salaam. He got got beat every play by Taylor and the fumble caused by his lack of blocking almost cost us the game.
Sherman needs to get over his rookie hang up and get Winston in the game. Watched this kid in preseason enough to know he should be starting. He is more talented than Spencer and Spencer is going to be real good. He definately is better than Bedell. Sherman needs to build our young draft picks and quite this home for aging lineman that are his buds!!!!

HeartofHouston

Waterboy
We could be looking for a RB in april and I don't have a problem with that at all.. it's a couple of backs that could drop from the first round and some even out of the first day..

Tony Hunt (Penn St)
Germaine Race (Pitt St)
Courtney Lewis (Texas A&M)

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
Running back problems start with no push from the o-line . Sherman needs to think about building an o-line for the future not run a retirement camp for Green Bay left overs!! Brad Bedell was horrible when he subed for Salaam. He got got beat every play by Taylor and the fumble caused by his lack of blocking almost cost us the game.
Sherman needs to get over his rookie hang up and get Winston in the game. Watched this kid in preseason enough to know he should be starting. He is more talented than Spencer and Spencer is going to be real good. He definately is better than Bedell. Sherman needs to build our young draft picks and quite this home for aging lineman that are his buds!!!!
I think Kubiak has more control of the offensive personnel than you think. You may be barking at the wrong coach.

R

real

Running back problems start with no push from the o-line .
How do "running back problems" stem from the line ?? please explain....

What do you mean by more talented exactly??? When Spencer was healthy he was EASILY better than Winston...

texan279

Hall of Fame
So many here thought Gado would be the saviour of the running game. I am still miffed about trading Morency.

R

real

So many here thought Gado would be the saviour of the running game. I am still miffed about trading Morency.
I understand what they were trying to do...but I agree...having Morency as a change of pace guy would be nice right now...

Running back problems are attached to the o-line because even Reggie Bush wouldn't run far without blocking. We get little or no push from our 0-line and sustaining a block seems to be a novel idea at best. Why is it Weigert is always one of the first one to help the running backs up off the ground, if you are blocking and sustaining it then you should not be watching the play.
As far as Spencer and Winston go I hope you watched at least 90% of preseason practices and all the preseason games. Winston is quicker off the ball, more experienced in the position(left tackle) and now can handle either side, and has worn Mario into the dirt on many occations. Now I must admit that alot of people have done that too.
My point is that Bedell doesn't hold a candle to either of these guys, and having seen almost all the preseason practices it was very obvious to many of us that Sherman plays favorites all over the field. All you have to do is watch the way he handles the same mistake by two different players.
Bottom line is,without good drive off the line a running game is hard to establish and we aren't getting much push from Sherman's retirement sqad!

O.G.

Waterboy
Can't be the saviour if you only get 10 carries in 3 games. As for Morency, he had a hard time picking up the block, anticipation wise. That is one of the reasons Lundy isn't playing.

PapaL

Loose Screw
There have been cut back lanes, but for one reason our backs can not get to them. Be it penetration, lack of speed, fatigue, or flat out not seeing them (much easier to see them from my sofa). Our newfound passing game needs a descent running to keep the D honest. If we don't fix it this week, its going to get ugly on offense. Who knows, maybe if the D starting thinking we're going to keep passing like we have it'll open the run game. Here's to them out thinking themselves. :texflag:

JDizzle

I'm a dude
We should see Morency in action tonight against Philly. Ahman Green is listed as questionable at GB's official site.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Can't be the saviour if you only get 10 carries in 3 games. As for Morency, he had a hard time picking up the block, anticipation wise. That is one of the reasons Lundy isn't playing.
My point exactly. If he was as great as some here claimed he was or anticipated he would be, he would have more than 10 carries, and surely would be able to beat out Ron Dayne for the starting job.

"As a season ticketholder for 5 years, I think I deserve that."

Look I have been a season ticket holder since day one as well. I had Oiler tickets from 77' up until they split for Tennesse! Dont be fooled the only thing you have a RIGHT to and or for is to go see the team they put on the field. I dont say it to be rude but look at the draft and look around the league. Owners do what they want when they want and how they want, sure we can dump our seats but that really does not happen very often. Evedn during the Ed Biles days with the Oilers people have a tendency to kkep their seats and just not go.

"My point is, the offense is being coddled, just like what Capers did. Call the best play and if someone screws up, let's go from there."

I would disagree to a point, Kubiak does take the blame for some of the play calling and saying he did not put David in a good position to win, but he also says stats are deceivng and Carr does not play well in all 4 quarters. Capers would never say that! I think their is much more accountability for the offense under Kubiak.

Yes man Irons would be a perfect fit in this system. I mean I would love Peterson if we were in a position to get him. Having said that though Irons has great vision. He allows blocks to develop and finds the holes and hits them. Thing is he's a first rd. talent and with all our needs I don't know if our staff would trade up to get him or get him with our pick. I guess it would all depend on where we picked, but Irons is perfect for this team. Also you gotta keep in mind he's piling up all his stats against the SEC.

Peterson is great I just hope Stoops doesn't wear all the traed off him before he can escape from their program! He is all they have right now and they sure are putting a lot of mileage of him. He will probably be picked before we draft, it would have been nice if we could have made out trade at the end of the first round last year for Maroney. That is unless one of the picks we were offering was Ryans! We can get a back later but Ryans is a rare find.

Cupps

Waterboy
Texans' RBs: 3.2 yards per carry
Reggie Bush: 3.3 yards per carry

Texans' RBs: 0 TDs
Reggie Bush: 0 TDs

Just think, we could be enjoying a whole tenth yard more per carry right now. Oh, if only... :stirpot:

And, for what it's worth, Morency put up 99 yards on 26 carries tonight and added six catches for 19 more. Heh.

I may be playing the homer card here, but I say give it just a little more team. Realize that neither of our top two backs were on the roster until after preseason. :twocents:

Lastly, who had Super Mario getting his first sack before Bush's first touchdown? C'mon now...