Ravens trade for Jax OT Monroe

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Texian, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m

Pending a physical, Jacksonville has agreed in principle to trade OT Eugene Monroe to Baltimore, per league sources.

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 4m

Ravens have agreed to a trade with the Jaguars, acquiring offensive tackle Eugene Monroe, according to three league sources

Ozzie being Ozzie, please Bob McNair hire Oliver Luck for GM before Texas does.

2. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 7m

Update: Ravens are sending multiple third-day draft picks to Jacksonville in exchange for OT Eugene Monroe.

3. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

JJ Watt just got a couple of extra sacks.

4. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Yep

Ozzie sees a weakness at OT and makes a move. You can do that when you dont spend all of your $$$$ on the Reed/Ellerbe/Johnson/Boldins of the world.

Ozzie is a risk taker, who does what's best for the franchises future. Rick could learn a thing or 2 from Ozzie.

The Texans and Ravens have diametrically opposite philosophies. Which one would the MB as a whole say is the better philosophy? I know BoB would never let Rick make a trade in season, even if Rick was smart enough to save some extra cap room. Why, because in season trades would be too traumatic.

Meanwhile, tell me more about the Texans current OL situation?

5. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

If the Jags are only getting a couple of 3rd day selections, doesn't speak very highly of their opinion of Monroe.

6. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Monroe is only 26, was a top 10 draft pick and he ranks a tad better than Brown and Harris with PFF. Sounds cheap to me and a long term upgrade to McKinnie who isn't playing all to well this year.

7. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

After Monroe's performance against the Colts, I'm surprised he wasn't cut on the spot. Like most of the Jags, this guy sucks. Ozzie is an outstanding GM. But not everything he touches turns to gold. This turd won't flush.

8. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame

Agree steelb, I don't think a Monroe trade is a thought that even crossed the Smubiak mind. Hard to criticize a Ozzie deal, he doesn't miss very often.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

What it should be is a giant red flag that PFF isn't to be trusted if a top 10 pick is getting punted on his rookie contract off a suck team even though he is better than All Pro Duane Brown who was considered by many as the best LT in the NFL last year.

10. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

Monroe has been a pretty darn good Tackle. Looks like the Jags are getting worse on just about every level since their new ownership. The FO had a feud with their star player year 1 (worse PR). They changed the logo a year ago and I think it was immediately one of the worst ones in the league. Changed Uniforms to something way too busy...another 'worst'. The helmet is just embarrassing. I feel like a rubbernecker watching this franchise develop (for lack of a better term) under Khan. It's like watching a bad wreck on the other side of the freeway.

11. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Don't forget cheap.

12. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

What is for cheap? Multiple picks plus he is getting like $4.2 mil this year. That is without the signing bonus which stays with the Jags.

13. STEEL BLUE TEXANS

STEEL BLUE TEXANS Hall of Fame

Monroe is a better player than Trent Richardson and plays a premium position and all the Jags got were 3rd day picks lol.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Baltimore is giving up 3rd day picks for a former first rounder. That's cheap. Like the Jags couldn't get rid of him fast enough.

15. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

I've seen some Jaguar fans on their board claim he's been somewhat of a bust since being the 8th overall pick in 2009. They are very pleased he's gone and are happy that rookie Luke Joeckel, the No. 2 overall pick in the 2013 draft, now will switch from right tackle to left tackle.

16. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

JAX is a complete dumpster fire obviously but I think this is a good trade. They need help everywhere so they need multiple picks like they got. Not like they were going to hold onto Monroe who is a UFA after this season so they got something of value for him while they could.

17. dc_txtech

dc_txtech Subscribed Contributor

18. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Monroe is rated 55th out of 72 OTs by ProFootballFocus for 2013 (>25% teams snaps), which is below Duane Brown and Ryan Harris. Party animal/rap mogul Bryant McKinnie is rated 61st/72.

Monroe, who has been a top 15 OT in 2011 & 2012, should be a very good replacement for the erratic McKinnie. My impression is that he planned to leave J-ville as a free agent, and that the team wanted Joeckel to be moved to his natural LT position where he should excel.

19. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

20. Texian

Texian Hall of Fame