Ravens' Pitta dislocates hip

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by texan279, Jul 27, 2013.

1. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

Baltimore Ravens tight end Dennis Pitta dislocated his hip in practice and is expected to remain sidelined throughout the preseason and for the Sept. 5 regular season opener against Denver.

A source told FOXSports.com reporter Mike Garafolo that Pitta is undergoing more testing to determine how long he will be out, but the expectation is it will be for at least a few months.

The injury occurred during Saturday's practice session when Pitta collided with safety James Ihedigbo in the back of the end zone vying for a pass from Joe Flacco.

Pitta lay prone for several minutes before being carted off the field.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/baltimore-ravens-dennis-pitta-dislocates-hip-out-for-opener-072713

TejasTom likes this.
  2. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

3. MEGA SWATT

MEGA SWATT Hall of Fame

Sux for them

4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

5. Showtime100

Showtime100 Got JJ?

I don't know why, but the thought of a dislocated hip gives me the heebies.

Here's to a speedy recovery, Dennis.

TejasTom likes this.
  6. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

Ouch. That has to hurt like hell.

I broke a femur once, child birth was nothing compared to that. The bigger the bone, the worse the pain.

7. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

I looked into this further, and the actual injury was a dislocation (the ball pops out of the socket of the hip joint) and fracture of the femoral head (the ball). Femoral head fractures are very rare injuries, almost always caused by hip dislocation itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Most of these can be treated by closed reduction (non-surgically) both of the dislocation and fracture. When closed reduction fails or there are loose fracture segments left floating in the joint, they must be removed, or if they are large enough surgically reattached with wire or screws, etc.

This is not a cue ball. It is a femoral head with large fracture fragment being reduced and secured with a screw.:

[​IMG]

This is a very serious injury in that the femoral head circulation is commonly disrupted, especially if there is a large fracture segment as seems to be the case with Pitta. If this is disrupted, there is a high risk of a condition called avascular necrosis, which is basically the counterpart in bone to "gangrene" that occurs in soft tissues.

In summary, this is a very unfortunate injury for this young man........one that is very likely career-ending.........and very likely to ultimately lead to the need for hip joint replacement

mattieuk likes this.
  8. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Little early in the morning for that image Cloak. I'm normally not easily made queasy but for some reason that one caught me off guard. Yuck!

9. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Is this pretty much the same injury that ended Bo Jackson's football career?

10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I could have done without the graphic images... a little warning would be nice.

Yes, I'm a wuss.

11. CloakNNNdagger

You are correct. Bo Jackson also suffered a fracture dislocation of the hip.

The fact is that a dislocation of the hip is bad enough as far potential for leading to avascular necrosis.

In the picture below, you can see on the (apparent) right all the major blood vessels feeding the femoral head (mostly from the medial femoral circumflex artery of the femoral artery). When the hip is pulled out of the socket (dislocation) these vessels are torn to various extents, decreasing the blood circulation to the head. If a large fragment of the head is fractured (totally separated from its circulation), this situation essentially almost delivers a final "coup de gras."

[​IMG]

There are articles out there debating what the Ravens should do because the Raven are worried that he hits the FA market next year, and since there would be so much interest, will they need to "franchise" him in order to maintain his services next year...................I seriously doubt that this will be the real problem for Ravens. :kitten:

12. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Read more: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/...e-says-20130728,0,3210587.story#ixzz2aMTXB9dx

13. CloakNNNdagger

The ligaments holding the hip joint head (ball) in place are extremely heavy and strong. Extreme force that is required to dislocate the hip to begin with. All anterior dislocations involve significant tears of the ligaments. And most all of the posterior dislocations suffer the same. Also there is commonly associated cartilage damage. Besides, it is the later post-traumatic problems (not known for weeks or months) that end up being the ultimately debilitating factors. This injury is a much greater career concern than is being described in the "report."

14. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

15. Norg

Norg -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

man the elite AFC teams u thought that were going to be there this year might flip flop

obvs the ravens wont be has good but I think Denver and the pats wont be has good either

and the 2nd teir teams will obvs fill that void

16. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Gronk, Hernandez, Pitta all out/gone. OD should be a shoe in for ProBowl.

Too bad he'll be headed to the Super Bowl and won't be able to play.

The Pencil Neck and MEGA SWATT like this.
  17. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

:bravo:

I see what you did there and I agree.

:fans:

18. revan

revan Veteran

Going to have to jump early in Fantasy Football for a good TE with all these guys dropping like flies.

19. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

Yeah man! Jimmy Graham's stock is sky high right now.

20. CloakNNNdagger

Dallas Clark has now signed with the Ravens.