Rate the Texans rookies

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Danish Texan, Oct 20, 2005.

1. Danish Texan

Danish Texan Rookie

Hi

How would you rate the rookies performances this season?

I think they have been rather disapointing so far, especially if you include the two picks given up to aquire Philip Buchanon.

Please give your comments on our rookies so far. :goodbad:

2. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Best draft ever and Morence needs a heck of a lot more carries. He's proven he can break the long one and we can make our WMD to Atlanta's DVD

3. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Travis Johnson--Improving and is good for a rookie
    CC Brown---Steal, good tackler, always around the play
    Morency---Severely underused
    Mathis---same as above, but whats new (Armstrong)
    Pettway---Too early

4. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

TJ-C Nuthin real impressive, but playing 3-4 DE is tough
    Morency-C Has not run much, but did decent on kickoffs
    Mathis-B Injured a lot but good KR and gets open when in at WR
    Hogden-C Has not played a lot, but seemed okay in the 1 game he played
    Brown-A Really amazing forf a 6th round pick. 3-4th on the team on tackles(i forget)
    Pettway-N/A Practice Squad, cant tell whats gonna happen

That being said, trading the 2 picks for Pburnt was stupid, ungodly stupid!!! We could have gotten Kirk Morrison, whos leading rookies in tackles(i think)

5. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Brown is actually the 2nd leading tackler on the Texans. My bad.

6. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

TJ-D- He is the prototypical #2 DT in a 4-3 and a less than adequate 3-4 DE. I think he has just not learned the ins and outs of how to create pressure.
    Morency-C- I just have not seen enough of him, but I still feel a TE or OL prospect would have been better
    Mathis-C- The kid is explosive, but until he makes DC throw it his way I am not impressed
    Hodgon-F- He was clearly overmatched and is a project that is a career backup.
    Brown-C- The kid is a good tackler, but seems more suited as a FS, plus he needs to learn how to cover
    Pettway-F- Not much is expected and not much has been given.

7. Ibar_Harry

Ibar_Harry Hall of Fame

How can you possibly judge these young men. They've had no decent coaching and their playing opportunities have been limited at times. TJ was wanted by Capers and his defensive staff and Casserly gave that too him. I say that because Casserly traded down to get another pick and still produced TJ for Capers. I do not believe Casserly wanted TJ. That's my opinion based on how the drafting went.

8. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

TJ-C playing out of postion is a classic 3 technique not a 3-4 end
    Morency- C he is underused and but still hasn't done anything special
    Mathis- C been injuried and still hasn't shown me anything worthy of the hype
    Hodgdon- C played in last weeks game and did ok...only problem is when your 32nd in the league in pass protection it's hard to tell when someone is doing worse that the guy ahead of him
    CC brown- B for a 6th round pick starting is something special...but got abused by seattle
    pettway- N/A time will tell

9. Malloy

Malloy Site Contributor

Pretty much my view too. And.. YES please, let's see more of Morency. At least we should be able to keep the steam up for 4 quarters on the running game.

10. Gunbuny

Gunbuny Rookie

I like TJ but I was thorougly pissed when I heard the Commish announce The Houston Texans have selected Travis Johnson. I wanted to hear Alex Barron. He is starting in ST Louis now. I still do.

11. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

Any judgement now is strictly FWIW...of course opinions might change. These opinions aren't what may become of these players 3 years down the road.

But yea, I agree that we really don't know how these guys could best be used with Capers lame philosophy.

12. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

My grandmother used to say "Many a mickle makes a muckle." With that in mind, I agree with a lot of people who have diatribed that it takes a lot of smaller pieces (players) to complete the puzzle (a cohesive, winning football team). Whether or not you can actually debate the abilities of these players at this point is hard to say (but it's fun so let's do it anyway).

TJ - Too hard to tell. Done nothing, but expected nothing. (Remember this line - it will be used next year to describe the new LT.)
    CC - Seemed like he was getting beat up bad at Seattle (oh, wait, that was everybody).
    Morency - Not the answer to the problem
    Mathis - The most prolific rookie. He's making things happen and I look forward to more from him as the season goes on.
    Pettway - Who?

These aren't mickle players in the sense of great, but mickle players in the sense of little, and it's going to take a muckle to turn this mickle into anything.

13. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Good grief man - I'm in a bit of a pickle trying to make a nickel's worth of sense out of this. Maybe I need to buckle down and chop through it with a sickle.

Or would that be a scythe? Chuckle Chuckle.

14. Texans Horror

Texans Horror Hall of Fame

Knucklehead. Why I oughtta...

15. They all have contributed very little. You'd like to see at least 1 player make some plays so far, but we got nada. This is a direct reflection on Casserly.

16. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

too early, but CC Brown has to be the biggest surprise so far :texans:

17. Ahh maybe you are right, we are only 5 games into it but it sure seems a lot longer than that. MAybe your rookies will need more time as most do, let's give them the benefit of doubt. I'd love to see Morency in for a full game to see if he can do as good or better than DD and pick up the freaking blitz.

18. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

well it looks like it took only one more week to validate the biggest surprise & best rookie performance to date by a Mr. Jerome Mathis:)

19. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

Jerome Mathis makes this team fun to watch again. I find myself rooting for the defense to give up scores so that we can see a kickoff return.

He reminds me of Carl Roaches.

20. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

I was thinking the same thing yesterday during the game, just let the other team score so they can kick it off to Mathis. :texans: But seriously, as of now, Mathis is definitely our steal of the draft. I didn't pay much attention directly to Hodgdon yesterday, but he seemd solid from what I did see.