Rate Eric Winston's play in 2007

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Dallas_Texan, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Dallas_Texan

Dallas_Texan Veteran

I am really curious. How would you rate Winston as an RT in 2007? Do you feel he was worth the 3rd round pick, and if so, is he the RT of the future still for this team?

2. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Panned out as equally a early 2nd round pick.....just wish the run game would step up.

3. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I think he's been playing pretty well. I think we're set at RT for a while and I think it was a good pick.

4. CharloTex

CharloTex All Pro

Yeah, what he said.:thumbup :thumbup

5. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Before his injury I had Winston as the top Otackle of his draft class. Since he did get injured, we knew it would be about 2 seasons before he regained the strength and flexibility he exhibited his junior year at The U. Prior to his draft I graded Winston as a second round prospect with first round talent. I was thrilled to grab him with the second pick of the third round. He has preformed as well a I would have hoped and expected. I believe next year he will be joined by my "I can't believe he fell lineman" for last year's draft: Kasey Studdard.

6. barberman

barberman Rookie

I believe Winston is very steady in his performance and will continue to improve with more experience. I just hope Spencer can make it back this year, but I`ve got a feeling that won`t happen. It`s been too quiet on the "Spencer front" since he has been on PUP list.

7. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Solid

8. LORK 88

LORK 88 Wreck'em Ŧech!

To be honest, I haven't really noticed how he's been playing, but I know he's been doing well because every time I'm worried about a pass rush, I always worried about the left side and Salaam.

9. YellerLotYeller

YellerLotYeller nice marmot

That's the best compliment you can give a lineman.

Topher likes this.
  10. Leahmic223

Leahmic223 Hall of Fame

Yep I agree.

The fact that some people haven't noticed him is a good thing, I think he will be there for a long time at that spot personally.

I don't want to mess with Salaam, because I think he's such a team leader vocally but he needs to step up.

11. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

Oh I've noticed him. During pass plays his blocking has improved from the senior bowl 1,000%. He finally seems comfortable, OK finally is a bit much for a 3rd rounder, to have him starting before the end of his 2nd year is a bonus. Him starting at the end of last year was huge for his play this season.

Also he comes across as football smart in interviews, something some of our other draft picks do not always show.

Run blocking is a little harder to follow, but I think the team going right most of the time is a result of the job he and Weary do on the RT side. I find him to be a steal at the 66th pick.

12. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

He had a whale of a game against Carolina. I didn't pay as much attention in Atlanta. I was really focused on Schaub all game. I wanted to see how he personally would handle the situation given to him, and he passed with flying colors. As for Winston, he gets an A for draft value, and a B+ and improving as an overall grade without regard to draft position.

13. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

for a 3rd rounder in his 2nd year after a big injury in high school? he's been great. and remember, he's still learning the position, as he was recruited to miami to be a TE, and he didn't play tackle till his sophomore year. he's only going to get better.

but he's not a LT. so keep him at RT.

14. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

He tore his ACL his Junior season at Miami. Which in turn, lowered his draft stock.:cool:

15. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

why did i write high school? i meant college. weird.

16. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

This guy went from basically Eric who? to a solid RT starter for us. He might not be a starter for others but he does not play for others. He is only going to get better. I remember being furious when team went with some guy named Jacoby Jones from Podunk U. in 2nd when we just had to have a left tackle. And then Spencer was selected first in 3rd. Man, I went ballistic. Ricky Smith, I love you man! I have offered my insight into next season's draft to 31 other teams. I may be made an honorary team captain by Kubes if I pull that off.

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

The Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Forget it, he's rolling.

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

You rolled two different drafts into one. Speaking of rolling, have you been hanging in the Ricky Williams thread too long?

LOL! I kid, I kid :cool:

19. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

No, that's not right because I know better. Badboy informed me that Mussolini & the Italians bombed Pearl.

20. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Winston is our best LT as well. I honestly believe that he could play LT and a very solid level, and we could leave him there. I was very big on Winston in college, and graded him as a top 20 talent overall. I thought he would fall to about our second round pick. I guess his injury didn't test as well as I expected, but he fell to us anyways. Spencer is a prototypical RG/RT if you ever saw one. I think IF Spencer ever makes it back, it would be stupid to put him at LT, but he is decent enough to play on the line. I would slide him to RG so he can get a little extra help initially, and look to potentially work him into the RT role as he progressed. I think Winston, fully healthy as he is now, is our best LT and should be playing there.