Rashad Carmichael- What do you think?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by rmartin65, Apr 30, 2011.

?

Thoughts on the pick

1. I like the pick

47.6%
  2. I dislike the pick

3.2%
  3. On the fence

49.2%
  1. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

2. texans90

texans90 Rookie

I like it because I got to watch him play numerous times at VT but I know people won't like it cuz we took another CB

3. Brandon420tx

Brandon420tx Flounder

I'm on the fence because we do need secondary help, and we need to run some of our old CBs out of town, But I was hoping for a different position. At least it wasn't TE though

4. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

Burton was rated slightly higher, but knew Carmichael was one of the few Texans where interested in, think they interviewed him one on one @ the combine. I do like the position addressed, think they killed it on CB's.

5. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

His draft video on nfl.com makes him look awesome! Probably just like every other video on there. Haha... But they said he ran a 4.39 in his pro day, and he's a film junkie. He canceled his cable subscription so that he'll watch more game tape. It also said he was a 3rd round projections. Seems like a solid pick.

6. nytexan

nytexan Veteran

Special teams player, possible fit as a safety. I don't think he has the speed to be a CB

Profootball weekly report:

Positives: Plays the ball well in front of him and will jump routes. Smooth mover with good fluidity and can ride the hip of receivers. Good production on the ball — notched 10 interceptions the past two seasons and has good hands and body control to adjust in air. Attacks the ball like a receiver. Competitive run-support defender. Has a blue-collar mentality. Lines up as a jammer. Cares about the game and puts the time in to work on his craft.

Negatives: Lacks elite long speed to carry receivers down the field. Not explosive out of his breaks and has average recovery speed and burst to function outside a short area. Not a physical tackler — gives up yards after contact and takes some questionable angles. Has a 31-inch vertical jump.

Summary: Can contribute right away on special teams. Has the toughness, competitiveness and short-area burst to step into a bigger role in a defense that features predominantly zone coverage.

NFL projection: Fourth- to fifth-round pick.

7. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

Bah, just realized I made a typo on his name in the title. If a mod could fix it, I would be much obliged. Rashad, not Rasdad.

8. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

4.39 in 40 isn't cb speed to you??

9. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

I just don't know anything about this guy.

I did look up some information:

I also notice this on Brandon Harris
    We might be looking to change our coverage philosophy.

10. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

There is playing speed and track speed. I think he has more track speed.

This is the first pick this year I dont love. I dont dislike it, I just think we could have gone elsewhere. NT, FS, ILB, OL, WR, QB, are all positions I would have preferred to pick here.

11. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I'm on the fence with this guy. Could be good, could be bad.

12. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I'm on the fence only because I know nothing of this player and I was hoping for a safety. I'm not going to complain about them adding bodies to the secondary. I like the idea of switching to man coverage if that is what they are trying to do.

13. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

I aint twan to be moldin' my pick with an eye towards getting rid of any particular player, but that doesn't mean the Texans might not force Herr Rick to mc man up on the issue.

14. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

More than anything this pick tells me the Texans are moving Quinn to FS. That's #1. It relieves some of the pressure off Brandon Harris creating more competition, hence depth @ CB. I also did not realize that Carmichael ran that fast (4.39) @ his pro day, my draft guide (ourlads) had him listed with his combine time of 4.56. I like his interception production too, having 10 during the past two seasons puts him into elite company. I understand the pick, think its solid, Texans have two 5th rd. picks to address safety & nose tackle :logo:

15. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

That sounds good.

16. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

i agree. Everyone is on notice in the secondary with these 2 picks..as they should be.

17. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Rather have had a DT or another LB but he seems like a solid enough prospect.

18. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

This is the first pick I'm not emphatically clapping my hands for. I think it's a fine selection and I like that we've addressed our DB needs with two quality prospects.

I've obviously overvalued my guy Carter whose still on the board. Guess Wade doesn't like him as much as me. I like te trade down getting us two 5ths though!!!

19. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

You're funny!

You have to have a philosophy to change it.

Hagar likes this.
  20. nytexan

nytexan Veteran

Thanks for answering that, everything I saw on him was above 4.5 on the 40

Not a bad pick just everything past the 3rd round you have your fingers crossed on them. A bit surprised they went defense again and they are definitely setting up competition for the secondary, I'm just hoping they don't give up on bring in some vets to help school all these kids.

By the way, whenever your 40 time gets cut by over .1 seconds and almost .2, you have to check to see who's holding the timer especially when its the schools pro day.