Randy Bullock vs Shayne Graham

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by TexanSam, Aug 19, 2012.

1. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

Graham made field goals from 48 and 49 yards tonight while Bullock missed from 51. He did make a 52 yarder last week though. It's hard to imagine the Texans cutting Bullock since they drafted him in the 5th round, but if Graham kicks better in the preseason then they'll have a touch choice to make. Anyone have any thoughts about the kicking battle?

2. Rey

Rey Guest

Need to see more.

A close battle goes to the youngster....despite his ps eligibility. :tease:

3. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

Randy Bullock will have a mysterious injury coming in a couple weeks, I think.

4. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

In Preseason here is what we have seen:

Bullock: make 21, 52, miss 51, 3/4 on fgs, and 3/3 on epa.
    Graham: make 20, 37, 48, 49. 4/4 on fgs.

Bullock has been 3/4 on fgs and the miss was a 51 yarder. That is not exactly a gimmie. There is no shame in missing a 51 yarder. Graham is 4/4 but has also been given 2 gimmies (20 and 37) along with 2 challenging 48/49.

I think this is still Bullock's job to lose. For Graham to win this job, Bullock has to miss a few in the 30 yard range and I don't see that happening.

FosterGreatness and cbs1507 like this.
  5. Rey

Rey Guest

What was the distance on grahms 4th fg? You have him 3/4 but I only see 3 listed.

6. FosterGreatness

FosterGreatness Rookie

Good Post. :bravo:

Edit: I also see Bullock winning the job. I think Graham is there just to pressure him and see what he's made of.

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

Graham should win the job.

In no way should we trust a rookie kicker with what's on the line this season.

Graham looks calm out there, no freaky action on his kicks. He's making the kicks.

This is one of those Maynard-Hartmann situations where it's plain to see which guy is doing better...so therefore Kubiak will cut the wrong person, IMO.

8. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

I subscribe to this. To this point, Graham is ahead.

9. kingh99

kingh99 Guest

If Graham keeps making his goals, this.

10. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Sorry it was a typo.

Graham has attempted 4 fgs and has made all 4(20, 37, 48, 49)
    Bullock has attempted 3 and has made 2(21 and 52) and missed a 51.
    Bullock is also 4/4 on epas.

50+ fgs are tough tough kicks to make. I would like to see Bullock attempt some 40 yarders. All he has had is really easy(epas, 20) and really hard(51/52). Graham has gotten the more reasonable assignment thus far. If Bullock can nail those 40 yarders(as I think he can), its his job. If he cant hit his 40s he may develop an "injury" and need to go on IR.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

This kicker battle is wide open ... I have no idea who wins it.

One thing that concerns me about both is the lack of depth on KO's.

12. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Graham has a good track record int he NFL. I think he had some injury issues the last couple years, but not sure about that. Looks healthy now, at any rate. He's a vet that won't let the big moments get to him. I thought when they brought him in that he was washed up and was just here to provide some light competition and maybe a little pro advice for the youngster. Now I'm thinking Graham didn't get that memo. He wants this job. I'm torn right now.

13. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

My exact feelings on this.

Bullock I thought was going to be our long-term solution at kicker but Graham has made it too close to call. We can't assume anything.

Anyone ever put a kicker on the practice squad?

14. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Honestly, I'm not crazy about either of these guys. The ball comes off low from both guys. Neither can kick it through the end zone on kickoffs. Graham looks better, now. But there's nothing on his resume that screams greatness. I was hoping to see something from Bullock, but he looks like just another guy.

15. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Graham's kickoffs overall have been better as well. I think I trust him a little more with the job right now. Man, I hate even typing that.

16. dream_team

dream_team Hall of Fame

Keep in mind, after seven seasons with the Bengals, even being an All Pro/Pro Bowler one season, and breaking many of the Bengals franchise records... he wasn't re-signed by the Bengals after missing two field goals in a playoff game against the Jets. He even missed a 27-yarder.

If the Bengals don't trust Graham in the playoffs, why should we?

17. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Mainly because the Texans don't have anyone better.

18. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

I can't believe Randy Bullock missed a 51-yarder. That should be easy money for him. What a nice luxury it must be for the 49ers to have 6-time pro bowler and a future Hall of Famer, David Akers on their team. He made a 55-yarder last night and didn't even blink. I wish Houston had a kicker like that even though they don't come cheap.

19. Bulls on Parade

Bulls on Parade Hall of Fame

Let's just hope we don't settle for too many FGs during the big games. We will have arguably the worst kicker out of all the playoff teams.

20. BullBlitz

BullBlitz Section 331

Agree. If he let's the fact that they drafted Bullock (thanks Rick) get in the way of his decision to keep the better performer, then I hope he ends up paying for it with critical missed kicks.

Would be funny to see Graham get cut and go to the Colts, Titans or Jaguars.