Random thoughts from reading the OTA quotes

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by kiwitexansfan, Jun 1, 2009.

1. kiwitexansfan

kiwitexansfan Site Contributor

Just be reading through the OTA quotes over at HT.com and had some thoughts on them to share with the group.

We better be prepared to give up some big plays this year. One thing with the aggressive defense its high risk, high reward, high cost. Hope I don't see people complaining about giving up big plays after everyone complained about being too conservative.

I love this, when Caldwell first came in it was all "strictly depth, happy with our starters blah blah, now it is he is pushing very quickly, I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the TC process it will be "couldn't keep him out of the lineup".

I'm drinking the Orlovsky kool-aid. The one thing that intrigues me is that Kubiak says they are going to work on the intangibles... I always thought they were intangible because you couldn't teach them/coach them, I always thought they were innate. I find this fascinating.

WooHoo! The first Okam mention of the off-season. I still really want to see Okam emerge this offseason.. hope this is only the first of many comments about him.

How much do you believe this sort of thing? Do players get into a practice situation with a player e.g. Diles and say wow this guy is good, teams are going to have to account for him, or is Diles just repeating the hype that coaches and media have been saying? Surely they would know once they have played along someone if they are for real or not.......

dc_txtech likes this.
  2. Old School

Old School Site Contributor

I don't mind giving up some big plays as long as it isnt the same person giving up the same play all the time.

I really hope he can help out in the C position. I think it is by far the weakest point on the line

I am not ready for the O kool-aid yet. Although after seeing what he can do with their Johnson, I can't help but wonder what he could do with ours!!!

The DT position worries me more than the DB position. A good push from up front can help cover for a bad secondary. I expected better things from Okam, maybe I overestimated his abilities thus far.

I believe it a great deal. Even back in high school you could always tell when someone was a "player" and had more skill or intensity than everyone else on the team.This level is no different but I am sure that it is not as easily detected as all the players at this level was the "player" at some point in their lives.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  3. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This article speaks for "intangibles" that coaches look for........and how you could see that they could be supported/developed. [The Importance of Intangibles in Recruiting]

Well, you can just keep on wondering...........'cause he ain't touchin' MY Johnson!!!!:foottap:

4. da Bull

da Bull Rookie

Another CLASSIC!

5. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    Glover Quin highlighted another OTA video at HT.com/tv ....did we steal a playmaker in the 4th round? Again!? Hey, I'm not one to hold a young guy back just because of age...where is his play really at? Kubiak and Gibbs seem pretty stoked about him, the guy exudes confidence in the interviews...it's too early to call for him to be a starter but damn, he sure is making noise REALLY early.

Dunta/Reeves/Bennett/Molden/Quin sounds like a hell of a group. Certainly does compared to what we had 2 years ago with the likes of Von Hutchins, Faggins and Fletcher rounding out the depth.

6. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

I saw that as a poke to Dunta.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

It is very nice seeing the guy's out on the field again, but it's still just OTA's. They're running around in shorts. I'm looking forward to Camp, when the pads start poppin.

A little over a month and a half to go. :gun:

8. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

of course its early but at least it would seem, the game plan is coming together :doot:

Cushing will be that impact player Smith talked about before the draft-

Barwin remains under the radar, Caldwell will start sometime because of injury's then becomes entrenched as permanent starter-

Quin so far is the biggest surprise, lets hope he keeps it going when pads are included?

DL rotation is going to be one of the most interesting story lines of the year-

Free-Agent Dan Orlovsky is > than David Carr

:specnatz:

9. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

Question being is Orlovsky better the Sage?

10. beerlover

beerlover Site Contributor

that question remains to be seen, hopefully the Texans don't need him except end of game mop up duties :)

also Sage was traded for a 4th rd. pick (#122) which they used to replace in-line blocking TE Mark Brunner with TE Anthony Hill who's body type reminds people of Mario Williams :mario2:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d80f2e3f9/2009-Combine-workout-Anthony-Hill

11. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Giving up big plays is OK when you're getting big plays on defense to compensate. If we're to have a good defense, then those risks have to translate to greater reward than what is given up. If not, that's when you'll see complaints.

My prediction at the time of the draft, today,and tomorrow is that Caldwell will be our starting Center no later than Game Three. And I'll be surprised if Myers can hold him off that long. Caldwell is going to be a big upgrade.

Nothing against Orlovsky, but I sincerely hope I see him take zero snaps this year. That can only lead to good things.

Okam's chances are running dry, IMO. He has to show something this year, especially when this team has always had guys off the street show more than what he has. Think about guys like Maddox, Cochran, Deljuan Robinson, Bulman, and even Thomas Johnson a few years ago. Those guys haven't been starter quality, but they've shown better than Okam. Okam better show something.

12. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

running dry? He is in his second year and is in much better shape. Wright was glowing about him in the weight room and mentioned that he was probably the strongest player on the team and is in much superior shape than he was last year. I think we have only seen the beginning of a career of a run stuffing DT. It usually takes a good 3 seasons to get them up to speed and he has only been through one camp...going on two this season.

13. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Yeah, a lot of rookies come into camp at the wrong size for that particular team because they didn't know who was going to draft them. Some teams like their bodies wider than others.

Duane Brown had some of the same issues.

14. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

From your lips to God's ears!

15. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Whoops! I'm sorry. For some reason, I thought this was his 3rd season. My bad.

16. Spike

Spike Veteran

All in all, you have to feel as good about this team as we have ever felt in the history of the organization. The offense returns completely intact, with another year under their belts. The OTAs seem to support the moves made to fill the defensive holes in the off-season.

I think there are interesting story lines coming out of camp:

(1) Contract negotiations - What is going to happen with Dunta, Dameco and Daniels? It would be huge for the franchise to get some of these guys lined up before the start of the season. I hope we can get all three tied up, but will be satisfied if we take care of Dameco and Daniels.

(2) Competition - Depending on who you ask, you might get a response that DT and DB are the weakest positions. Although I don't think there are any clear-cut answers at this time, I am encouraged by the competition:

DT - Amobi ties up one spot and should improve in his third season. Remember - with two seasons under his belt, he is the same age as most rookies coming into the league. TJ, Robinson and Okam should push each other.

DB - Dunta will make it back, but I think a lot of us are already thinking about who will replace him next season. Reeves should be more comfortable in his second season and is a head swivel away from being elite. Bennet, Molden and now Glover are close behind.

(3) LB - I think one of the weakest positions on the team has become one of the strongest. I think Cushing and Dameco are sure fire starters, with good competition at the other spot. Not sure what the starting line-up will be - but it should be stout. No matter who wins out, should have real quality depth - all of whom can make an impact on special teams.

(4) Can the offense stay out of its own way? What will the offense do different this year to avoid the killer TOs and to get more points in the red zone?

17. RipTraxx

RipTraxx Free Agent

This kid i dont get. Had he come out junior year he'dve been a 1st rounder, maybe even top 10. He stays, then he becomes a 5th rd pick that barely plays.

What the hell happened to him?

18. CloakNNNdagger

When we drafted him, there was a great deal of thought by all teams evidently that pursuing a medical degree was more important to him than becoming totally focused on football.

[LINK]

Or law school:

[LINK]http://grfx.cstv.com/schools/tex/graphics/newsstand/082307_usa_okam.pdf

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  19. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

That seems to still be a concern. LZ has said that people inside the Texans' organization feel that Okam might be "too smart for football" and realize that he has a better future outside of it.

20. CloakNNNdagger

The Second Link has the most in depth story about Okam's past, upbringing and insights to who he is I've ever read.

I will say that the fact that he has come to camp so much more in shape may say something for his plans.................at least for the next few years.