Random thought: Do you think Hopkins could net us a 1 in trade?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Hervoyel, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'm just curious. Just asking what you think but Carolina needs a WR now that Smith is gone. Hopkins showed us something this year but didn't blow any of us away I don't believe. Could he fetch a 1 from Carolina or really anyone?

If he did and we had a pair of 1's would you consider taking Sammy Watkins first overall and coming back later in the round to get a LB or your QB before grabbing a defender at the top of the second?

Could be the wrong forum for this. Move as needed mods. Just the thought occurred to me and wondered if anyone was enamored with Hopkins enough to not be interested in trading him in that scenario.

2. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

This is considered a deep draft @ WR where team may be able to get a Hopkins level talent into the 2nd round.

3. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

Agreed, only way something like trading him works is in a wr STARVED class, this is the deepest in a long time.

4. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I could see Carolina giving up their 2nd (#60). I don't think they would give up their first though. I don't think any team would.

5. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Doubtful. This is a really deep draft at WR.

6. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I like him enough to keep him and not trade him for a first. At the same time, I think there is enough potential with the WRs in this draft, as ArlingtonTexan said, that we may not even be able to net that.

People always talk about WRs having a difficult job acclimating to the NFL, so Hopkins actually had a pretty damn good year last year with poor QB play.

7. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

He was a late first round pick a year ago, and barring some compelling reason to the contrary, draft picks are like cars - as soon as you drive them home from the dealership, they lose value.

Hopkins had a reasonably promising first year, but not enough to overcome being driven home from the dealership. At least not yet.

8. kingtexan

kingtexan Hall of Fame

Sure, lets trade away our future #1 WR ... that would be smart.

Sigma and hot pickle like this.

9. deucetx

deucetx All Pro

Eh, I doubt it but you never know. I could see why Carolina would. Yes, the draft is deep at receiver but look what they have. They aren't just lacking Smith. They lost LaFell too. So they have no #1 or #2 receiver. On top of this they lost their left tackle to retirement as well. To say they are in need is an understatement. Granted doesn't help that Newton is now shelved for four months.

10. _King_

_King_ Guest

Deep draft at WR...But they have very, very little at WR...And then you are still talking about rookike WR's coming in to be targets for a team that wants to contend.

Probably couldn't get a 1st for Hopkins straight up, but maybe package him with something.

11. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

And consequently an instrcutive lesson in why teams should draft on the basis of talent available rather than need.

12. Porky

Porky Hall of Fame

I doubt he would fetch more than a #3 if anything at all.

13. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

True

This makes me sad.

Another example of reaching for need.

When will the Texans org ever learn?

14. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

I had considered this trading Hopkins thing just a few days ago. If we could somehow net a 1st which seems unlikely, but if we could, we'd be free to use our #1 pick on perhaps the best player on the board in Sammy Watkins and have the same result.

But i like Nuk too much to part with him for anything less than a 1st.

15. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I bet we could get a 1 if we give them Hopkins & Foster.

16. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Keep yer hands offa my NUK...

[IMGwidthsize=400]http://images.buzzillions.com/images_customers/00/54/35397673_271942_full.jpg[/IMG]

17. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

It was just a thought that briefly skipped across my mind. Having that second 1 would be what made it work. I regard Watkins as much better than Hopkins and so I'd let Hopkins go, possibly even Hopkins and Foster as thunderkyss mentioned. We're drawing to the close of Foster's prime anyway and it's not like RB's are all that hard to find anyway.

I guess the same thing that makes many of us not all that worried about letting go of Hopkins for a deal like this keeps him from being worth what we'd need to get out of him to do a deal like this. He wasn't bad at all but he didn't really knock anyone out with his 2013 performance. The way the season went I have trouble holding that against him but I guess if I was planning on parting with a 1 to get him then I'd want to see better than what he's shown so far.

Still Porky that's just ridiculous. a 3rd if anything? Come on!

18. AngryNateFTW

AngryNateFTW Veteran

Hopkins had over 800 yards receiving during a pretty inconsistent year. He works on his consistency and he's a 1200+ WR for a long time.

19. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I think the idea of need vs BPA is really not really the case. It is normally a combination and teams lean one direction versus the other, but in the perfect these meet up. Well, the Texans don't draft in a perfect world like we don't live in one.

I agree that more mistakes are made overdrafting for need than best player , but based on the draft board of 2013 Hopkins was not over drafted in any way. He played okay enough overall and was better than the other number 2 WR the Texans ran out in previous years. Just because this years draft has more similar level players does not mean that the 2013 pick was wrong. Teams have enough trouble getting the current year's board right, if you think some team has a true feel for the 2015 draft enough not to take ------ player or ---- position in 2014, I had those lottery numbers for tonight also.

There are other examples of need drafting from last year (see both 3rd round picks) way worth more criticism than Hopkins.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

A little "consistency" from the QB position wouldn't hurt either.