Raiders to file relocation papers to move from Oakland to Vegas

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Heath Shuler, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Sigma

Sigma Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

PapaL likes this.
  2. pirbroke

pirbroke Hall of Fame

Perfect team for the city

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

That looks like a logo straight out of Any Given Sunday lol.

ChampionTexan and thunderkyss like this.
  4. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I realize there are secondary logos and all that, but if they change their primary logo for this (or really for anything else), it will be a mistake of monumental proportions.

thunderkyss likes this.
  5. Sigma

Sigma Hall of Fame

if you are referring to my previous post, that's just some silly person on the internet taking a shot at the chargers

http://www.si.com/nfl/2017/01/12/chargers-logo-change

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Yep. The Oilers only played one season in Houston after they announced their plans to move. I would not be surprised to see the Raiders move to a temp stadium in 2018 if things get bad in Oakland next season. While Houston fans acted with indifference and apathy (and the '96 team was crappy), Oakland fans might be a bit more aggressive with their attitudes. Preliminary talks are already happening with UNLV to use Sam Boyd Stadium if they need it, since the Raiders are already planning 2018 preseason games there. I think this is a contingency plan in the event that Oakland becomes a hostile environment for home games.

At least the Raiders get to keep the name and logo, unlike Bud when he basically murdered the Oilers.

All of it really sucks as a football fan, but the reality is profits over fans in this day and age. It is what it is.

steelbtexan likes this.
  7. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

8. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

Perhaps, but there's some differences between this and the Oilers too.

With a city like Houston, there was never a doubt in my mind that an attempt to get another NFL team was forthcoming. In reality, it happened far more quickly than even I had guessed. That's not gonna happen in Oakland, and everybody knows it. Also, for reasons I can't really put a finger on, a team relocating to Las Vegas (who many folks - including me - view as a positive destination) seems less distasteful than a small (by NFL standards) city in Tennessee that I've never visited, and frankly have no desire to. Bottom line is I see more incentive to continue being a Raider fan than I ever did in continuing to support the team that became the Titans.

It may be that the Oakland fan base rebel in a way that only they could, but it also wouldn't shock me to see them stay far more loyal to the franchise than the Oilers could have ever hoped to see. Maybe they get chased out of town after a year, maybe they re-up for a third year before their LV home is ready. It probably doesn't hurt their cause that the Raiders are widely considered a Super Bowl contender, as to the Oilers who'd gone 9-23 the two seasons prior to their lame duck season.

9. Sigma

Sigma Hall of Fame

It's basically a meme. I'm sure it's just someone making fun of the chargers

Wolf likes this.
  10. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Oilers fans would have been much more loyal if the Oilers ever achieved anything significant. Championships breed loyalty. That's just the way it is, and that's why teams like the Yankees, Cowboys, Patriots, Bulls, Steelers, etc., have fans all over the place. Everyone loves a winner.

Huge, heartbreaking chokes - and I mean historically epic here *cough*35-3*cough* - breed a discontent that really tests the limits of being a fan. You will never understand if you were not an Oiler fan.

That said, I didn't make the story up. Mark Davis is already negotiating with UNLV for contingency plans. I just reported it on the forum.

11. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

Hey look on the plus side... They won't have to bus in the prostitutes. :)

12. Sigma

Sigma Hall of Fame

hmmmm and what does this say about a foreigner rooting for the texans? :\

13. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I don't know... You're a masochist? :thinking:

Sigma likes this.
  14. gs27

gs27 Hall of Fame

Raiders are going to have to look into their draft prospects personal history with a fine tooth comb. It will be a hard place to live during the season and stay 100% focused on football for all but the most dedicated players. Their regional scouts should spend more time questioning the strip clubs around the campuses to eliminate the usual patrons.

15. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

Makes me wonder if publuc money is used to pay 53 million to each of the other owners for relocation fee or is public money used just for the stadium..

16. TexasCowboy

TexasCowboy Straight Talker

The more I think about this..the more I feel Vegas is to glitzy for a organization
    that was built on being the extreme hard asses of the NFL, Raiders, black hole,
    just the whole persona of that doesn't fit what Vegas is about

just my 2 cents

Wolf likes this.
  17. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

With that strategy they are likely to see an increase in scout applications. I know I just applied.

bah007 likes this.
  18. OzzO

OzzO .. and then?

May move em faster than they want to....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl...snt-want-raiders-to-return-in-2019/ar-BByZ358

19. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

Sure wish they could have gone to SA as they would have been perfect for the Raiders organization.

This is just another tourist item to make Vegas even more expensive that it has already become. It aint what it used to be.

20. infantrycak

infantrycak Admin & Mod Staff Member

There was an article today that San Antonio might host them for all/part of the time while the LV stadium is built.

pirbroke likes this.