Raiders Release DeAngelo Hall - Texans rumored to be in mix

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Mike Kerns, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

This guy must be just a jerk or something...

Raiders to release CB Hall

Posted: November 4th, 2008 | Adam Schefter | Tags: DeAngelo Hall, Oakland Raiders

Oakland captured the NFL’s attention when it fired Lane Kiffin and hired Tom Cable. Now it is about to do it again — in a far more stunning fashion.

The Raiders are on the verge of releasing Pro Bowl cornerback DeAngelo Hall on Wednesday, according to multiple NFL sources.

If they do — and the team was planning on doing it Tuesday before it held off — Oakland will have paid Hall $8 million for eight games and Atlanta a second-round pick for the cornerback’s services.

Oakland is planning to waive him now so as to avoid paying Hall the $16 million worth of injury-guaranteed bonuses in his contract. It is too much of a risk for a Raiders team that still needs to do more rebuilding.

If Oakland follows through, Hall would be placed on waivers, leaving playoff contenders with the question of whether they should put in a claim for him. If Hall goes unclaimed, he would be free to sign with any team.

Last off-season, when the Falcons shopped Hall, the teams most interested in the cornerback were the Dallas Cowboys, New York Giants and Washington Redskins. The New England Patriots also have been in search of cornerback help.

Any one of those teams could put in a waiver claim for Hall, but it would be obligated to pick up his contract. If no one claims Hall, he could sign with the team of his choosing.

But this much is known: Hall’s time in Oakland has been brief and looks to be coming to a close. The curtain could drop Wednesday, if not Tuesday night.

2. Mike Kerns

Mike Kerns LYSB Podcast

3. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Wow. That franchise is so screwed up - no news there. I know the Raiders pull chicken crap moves to save a couple hundred thousand dollars with vets. Watching them then throw away millions on "big name" free agents makes me hate the business side of football. (If a can use that term in this case).

4. stingray

stingray Hall of Fame

Worst run organization in Pro sports. Even worse than the Clippers.

5. Hagar

Hagar Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Since I haven't seen the Raider's play all year, I wonder if Hall is playing badly or if Al's realized how ridiculous that contract was?

Also, I wonder how much dead weight the Raiders are carrying on their cap number?

Bang Cartoons presents "Al Heimer"

6. Chicagotexan1

Chicagotexan1 Hall of Fame

In a van down by the river next to another van dow
    Those ahole fans deserve this team and it's deranged owner. Maybe we should shop Weaver, Reeves and Green.

7. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

Was just going to post this. Wow Atlanta just 'Phillip Buchannoned' the Raiders. Lawllll. What's next? JaMarcus on the trade block for a 5th rounder?

8. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

That is a stunner. Hall, taken #8 overall and the first CB picked in the 2004 Draft just aheah of D-Rob who was the 10th pick, was a real prospect coming out of Virginia and early in his career he produced but dunno for sure what went wrong ?
    I can't help but be reminded how disposing of the troublesome Hall and receiving a high Draft pick for that trade with Oakland was one of a batch of smart moves made by ATL that has quickly turned around that franchise from an NFL organization that was badly listing at the end of the Micahel Vick era into one that's now on the fast track to success and the playoffs again.

9. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Hall took the league by storm early in his career because of his Deion-like speed.

He has poor route awareness, and almost always falls for double moves.

He has the speed to cover up his mistakes against decent WR's, but gets schooled every time he faces a #1.

The guy was overrated in ATL & they traded him when his value was still high. Great move by the Falcons.

By trading for Hall, the Raiders again proved that they are the worst-run organization in the NFL (as if we needed any more proof).

RTP2110 likes this.
  10. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

Heard Huff is going to be released as well, maybe some more guys. This could be our chance to grab that FS we be needing for some times now.

11. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

In the wake of the news that the Raiders soon will release cornerback DeAngelo Hall, a league source tells us that as many as 15 other current members of the team could be gone before next year.

The source believes that the purge will include receiver Javon Walker and defensive tackle Tommy Kelly.

As to Hall, we’re told that the reasons given for the move include a desire to devote the money that Hall would receive over the next year ($16.5 million) to inking cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha to a long-term deal, and to sign other players.

Also, don’t be shocked if someone makes a waivers claim on Hall. We’re told that interested teams include the Patriots, Texans, Giants, Redskins, Rams, and Saints. Several teams have the money to pay Hall — and getting him for $16 million in guaranteed money could be regarded as a bargain.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/04/hall-the-first-step-of-a-silver-and-black-purge/

12. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

dammit...just posted same in Texans Talk. Ooops.

13. The1ApplePie

The1ApplePie Hall of Fame

Hall's passion and mean streak would be great for our defense

His idiocy and jackassery would not be welcomed though

14. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I have never been a fan. It has nothing to with him having flare, in fact I believe that of all of the positions I do not mind a cornerback on the island to beat his chest and talk smack. I just think he is all show and no flow.

15. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

I am merging into Texan Talk since it is a tasty morsel and the Texans are quoted in the rumor piece. If we drop off the radar we will move it back to the NFL forum.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2008
  16. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

They are going to release Tommy Kelly DT whom they just gave a big contract .

17. BSofA04

BSofA04 Hall of Fame

Incredibly dumb on the Raiders organization. But to hell with them, if they drop anyone playing CB or S that's worth a damn, let's bring them in!

18. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

I am not sure he really has passion and mean streak, more ego and lack of football smarts. While better, he has some Jacques Reeves to him. Can run and stay with anybody, but does he really make the amount of plays his physical skills dictate. Overall, though if the texans claim (get) him I have nothing to complain about, just not sold that he is as good as his reputation.

19. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

I don't know how many teams would want to pick up Hall's through the wire, with his huge contract. I wonder if Rick Smith is willing to, or if he rather just battle it out with other teams and try to win in via UFA. Is he even worth his contract with Oakland? I been hearing mix things from peoples saying he was one of the top 5 CB last year with Falcons and other times he get burn much more then he make plays.

20. Htownsportsfan

Htownsportsfan All Pro

Where did you hear this? I just watched A. Schefter on the NFLN and he only mentioned Hall. Stated they did not want to take the risk on his contract since he had a guarentee. However you gotta think the fact he has a tendency to be a cancer in the locker room when his teams are playing badly. They paid him 8 million for 8 games thats a hell of a payday.