Raider fan with a question about Carr...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by OTF, Mar 16, 2007.

1. OTF

OTF Rookie

There have been rumors we would trade for Carr and I remember that he was due a $4 mil bonus on March 15th according to the link below. Has he in fact received that bonus? Just curious because I'm thinking that if he has we can put that rumor to rest...

http://www.houstonprofootball.com/scout/scout143.html

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

In what was considered the 2005 league year, the Texans exercised a 3 year buy back option (he had satisfied a performance option to void the last 3 years of the deal) by paying him an $8 mil bonus. By exercising it when they did, they were able to prorate it over the 2005-2008 seasons at $2 mil per year. In other words, he has received everything, but the Texans still have to account for $4 mil of signing bonus if he is traded or cut.

3. freedoggy77

freedoggy77 Veteran

i feel bad for Carr everyone hates him lol

4. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

not everyone hates...i personally think he has been dealt such a bad hand here in houston that the decent thing to do is to trade him to a team that can give him a fresh start...i think the sooner we do that the better...and if we can trade him to a team with a decent o-line the better his chances are of rebounding his career

5. freedoggy77

freedoggy77 Veteran

i know. casserly and capers pretty much ruined him, and now he's gonna go for a low price to someone else and shine like he did at fresno state

6. texun

texun Rookie

Despite all the negatives you will here about Carr on this message board, he is still better than any QB the raiders currently have on their roster. He would be a good QB with a better O line - I just don't think the Raiders line is any better than the Texans. However, it's kind of hard to tell what kind of talent the Raiders really had last year since your O coordinator was awful.

7. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I'm all for recapturing my Collegiate glory years.

signed,
    Andre Ware

8. afcman

afcman Veteran

Yep. Better for both sides.

9. A Texan

A Texan Veteran

How can they prorate a portion over 2005 when he didn't sign the extension until 2006?

10. infantrycak

The league year doesn't follow the calendar year--something like March 1 is the start of the league year. They exercised the option in 2006 but because it was still during the 2005 league year they were able to put $2 mil on that cap. Pretty slick actually.

11. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Arguably Casserly and Ferens' only wise cap move in 5 years.

Carr's option was exercised on Feb. 9, 2006 which is still in the '05 league year. Think fiscal years.

12. infantrycak

I was thinking that as I typed it. Henson was almost a slick move until Casserly went with the--well now, see, we got that 3rd with a 6th so it was basically free--and used it on P-Buc. Actually, tying up Pitts was probably a good move given the $49 mil contracts for non-probowl G's this year.

13. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I met Andre Ware at a business conference. I got to talking to him because my uncle was the defensive coordinator at a school that played him every year. My uncle would talk about next week's opponent and the quality of the players. Andre's name came up a few times several years in a row.

Anyway, I got to talking to Andre about his days as a Houston Cougar and just about life in general. He was a really cool guy, actually just a regular guy that you can kick back a drink a beer with.

I was very impressed.

TEXANRED likes this.
  14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

He does a good job as the color commentator with the Texans radio network.

15. rascous

rascous Rookie

Watch him go another team and excel. It happens. Then Texan fans will hate him even more.

16. dirty steve

dirty steve Hall of Fame

i could care less if he goes somewhere else and gets off. it is just in the best interests of both entities to part ways.

17. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Or watch him go to another team and be just as bad. That happens even more often. Then the Texan fans will look back at these days with a certain wistfulness.

Guys like Plunkett, Steve Young, Brad Johnson, Gannon, and Trent Green are pretty rare. Most guys end up like Ryan Leaf, Tim Couch, and all those nameless guys that bounce around all over the place.

18. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

The only thing that worries me about carr on another team is his sack history. I'm afraid that he's been hit so many times that he's pretty much expecting it every play and if it doesn't happen, he's confused.

I thing he could really excel on a different team. Raiders unfortunately don't have a great o-line though. Give him some time to throw and let him get used to that time and he'll be great. I'd personally like to see him on the Bears.

19. OTF

OTF Rookie

So the article was wrong?

20. NFLforher

NFLforher All Pro

Then the haters will get what they deserve.