Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Ragone traded

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
This is not good at all and it makes the Texans look like a team of foolish
spendthrifts ! As I recall, Kubiak wanted to give Ragone a jump on the market
to find a team to play for, but the Texans are one of the last teams in the
NFL that should be making a gift to another organization.
My guess would be that McNair will be seriuosly steamed when he gets wind
of this event.

nunusguy said:
This is not good at all and it makes the Texans look like a team of foolish
spendthrifts ! As I recall, Kubiak wanted to give Ragone a jump on the market
to find a team to play for, but the Texans are one of the last teams in the
NFL that should be making a gift to another organization.
My guess would be that McNair will be seriuosly steamed when he gets wind
of this event.
It could have just been an issue with timing. Wouldn't the Rams have rights of first refusal over Cincinnati. If that is the case, then they (and a bunch of other teams) obviously passed on him.

TexanFan881

All Pro
Hopefully it's only a 7th round pick so we don't look as bad...but with that pick this year we could have gotten Andre Hall...:hmmm:

nunusguy

Hall of Fame
the wonger need food said:
It could have just been an issue with timing. Wouldn't the Rams have rights of first refusal over Cincinnati. If that is the case, then they (and a bunch of other teams) obviously passed on him.
There may be logic in what you say, but I've been uncomfortable about this ever since we released Ragone and got nothing in exchange. This only tends to reinforce my concern that we did not even make a luke-warm effort to shop him round for trade value, let alone a thorough, exhaustive attempt to
work a deal out for a QB who was being released basically because he was
simply not suited for the new offensive schemes.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
TexanFan881 said:
Hopefully it's a 7th rounder so we don't look like idiots :brickwall
As stated above, the Rams could have nabbed Ragone in front of the Bengals off the waiver wire. They didn't so obviously they wouldn't have given up a pick to get him.

Hulk75

Veteran
Good for Rags that is were he wanted to be anyways, back with his old coach from college.

Bet he is happy to have the 2 towers on each side of him, with Jackson, Maybe Faulk, Bruce and Holt..............Good for him.

"Rams acquired Dave Ragone from the Bengals for an undisclosed draft pick.
It's probably a conditional late-round pick. Ragone, just claimed by the Bengals last month, played under Rams coach Scott Linehan while they were both at Louisville. This should bump Jeff Smoker off the Rams' roster, while Ragone competes with Ryan Fitzpatrick for the No. 3 quarterback job."

Jun. 20 - 10:48 am et

Granted it's probably not a high pick, but nice to see we DUMPED this guy for nothing while the Bengals claim him and turn him into a draft pick in a month.

Did I mention how happy I am that Casserly is gone?????

srstex

Waterboy
This one I had to question, with no NFL game experience to speak of we let go a young sharp eyed quaterback, and go and get Rosenfeld from Miami. I trust our coaching staff but this one stumps me.

Texans start the regular season 1 - 0 .

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I think at the time nobody was trying to trade with us for QBs. We still could've got something out of it.

Hervoyel

BUENO!
TexansFanatic said:
"You can't have enough quarterbacks."

What an atrocious waste of a pick....
Yes it was. One of the stupidest moves this team made in it's first four years. It's just impossible to ignore things like this and it explains clearly why our first coach and our first GM are no longer here.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
TexanFan881 said:
Casserly probably got greedy and tried to get lucky and pull another Henson deal :rolleyes:
Ragone was taken in the same draft, 3 rounds earlier. And yes, Casserly thought Ragone would become a valuable commodity. That did not transpire. The Henson deal did reel in a 3rd round pick. Charley's foray into the '03 QB stock market netted a sum total of zilch.

TexanFan881

All Pro
nice sig Lucky :heh:

But yes Henson worked out but Ragone didn't...even though it might have been able to work out if we just gave him some playing time last year. Why not experiment and try new things when your down to try and find ways to win the next year?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
TexanFan881 said:
Why not experiment and try new things when your down to try and find ways to win the next year?
Because if you are the head coach, there might not be a next year.

Bobo

Veteran
texan279 said:
He's going to be battling for the #3 spot with the Rams? I guess Kubiak made the right decision.
So you are judging a move based on where he fits on the depth chart on another team? Corey Bradford says, "Hi!"

Bobo

Veteran
Hervoyel said:
Yes it was. One of the stupidest moves this team made in it's first four years. It's just impossible to ignore things like this and it explains clearly why our first coach and our first GM are no longer here.
Umm, ever think that perhaps it will go down as one of the current regime's stupidest moves? Remember, Ragone will be an unrestricted FA next year. It will be interesting to see what happens with him in 2007.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
Hutch13 said:
i wish him the best of luck and hopefully he will be 3rd string QB
I suspect he'll be given a real opportunity to compete in St. Louis and move up the depth chart.

texan279

Hall of Fame
from www.kffl.com

Bengals | Ragone trade has little effect on Bengals
Tue, 20 Jun 2006 19:49:16 -0700

Bengals.com reports the Cincinnati Bengals trade of St. Louis Rams QB Dave Ragone will have little effect on the team. The trade will allow the team to focus on QB Anthony Wright or QB Doug Johnson in training camp as the backup quarterback and possible opening day starter, if QB Carson Palmer (knee) is not healthy enough to start the season. The move will also give the team a better look at rookie free agent QB Erik Meyer as he attempts to make the practice squad.

So basically Cincy's people didn't think Ragone was good enough to be their #3 QB and was traded so they could take a better look at their rookie free agent QB?

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
And to think, Chris Simms was on the board when we drafted Ragone. It worked out better for Simms because he is now a starter but it would have been nice having him behind Carr or even there to take Carr's job if he continues to flop.

Edit: Just saw that someone else mentioned Simms. Guess I should read the whole thread before I reply. :)

TexanFan881

All Pro
Just to let you guys know after reading the Bengals message boards and articles it sounds that if Ragone makes the team the Bengals will recieve a 6th or 7th round pick in compensation otherwise no pick will be rewarded. Basically the trade is along the lines of the Joey Harrington deal.

texan279

Hall of Fame
TexanFan881 said:
Just to let you guys know after reading the Bengals message boards and articles it sounds that if Ragone makes the team the Bengals will recieve a 6th or 7th round pick in compensation otherwise no pick will be rewarded. Basically the trade is along the lines of the Joey Harrington deal.
So basically he has little to no value at all, which is probably why we just released him.

Hookem Horns said:
And to think, Chris Simms was on the board when we drafted Ragone. It worked out better for Simms because he is now a starter but it would have been nice having him behind Carr or even there to take Carr's job if he continues to flop.
Worked out best for Carr. He probably wouldn't have that extra $8 million in his pocket if we would have drafted Simms.

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
I don't understand why the Rams didn't pick Ragone up off waivers before the Bengals rather than wait a couple of weeks and then trade to get him from the Bengals. Is there a subtlety in the waiver process somewhere? I'm sure Ragone has remained on Linehan's radar through all this, so I doubt the Rams just missed the first opportunity.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
Hutch13 said:
i wish him the best of luck and hopefully he will be 3rd string QB
WIth the Rams, I am not sure he isn't competing for the 2nd string job. Noone is really behind Bulger to my knowledge.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
El Tejano said:
WIth the Rams, I am not sure he isn't competing for the 2nd string job. Noone is really behind Bulger to my knowledge.
Gus Frerotte is the backup.

jerek

Pro Hobbyist
texan279 said:
So basically he has little to no value at all, which is probably why we just released him.
Try telling that to a minor but loud contingent of this board just six months ago, back when Carr was "struggling" and we had Mr. NFL Europe MVP on our bench. Which, incidentally, was right where he belonged, but according to a few people on here, Ragone was the sweetest thing since sliced bread and it was only blind Carr love that prevented him from getting his go.

Ragone is terrible. Was, and is. Funny to see all of these voices now happy that we cut him loose.

David's Busted Carr said:
"This should bump Jeff Smoker off the Rams' roster, while Ragone competes with Ryan Fitzpatrick for the No. 3 quarterback job."
So if Ragone beats out Fitzpatrick we should definitely pick this guy up. In our game against St. Louis last season he made David Carr look like Dave Ragone.

TexanFan881

All Pro
Runner said:
I don't understand why the Rams didn't pick Ragone up off waivers before the Bengals rather than wait a couple of weeks and then trade to get him from the Bengals. Is there a subtlety in the waiver process somewhere? I'm sure Ragone has remained on Linehan's radar through all this, so I doubt the Rams just missed the first opportunity.
The Rams obviously must have thought the QB position was stronger than it is...if he doesn't make the team they don't lose anything so why not?

Runner

Hubcap Diamond
Staff member
jerek said:
Try telling that to a minor but loud contingent of this board just six months ago, back when Carr was "struggling" and we had Mr. NFL Europe MVP on our bench. Which, incidentally, was right where he belonged, but according to a few people on here, Ragone was the sweetest thing since sliced bread and it was only blind Carr love that prevented him from getting his go.

Ragone is terrible. Was, and is. Funny to see all of these voices now happy that we cut him loose.
On the other hand, it may have made been a good football decision to let him play a couple of games to see his performance on the field rather than in everyone's "mind's eye". This may have:

1) Shown the team that he has some skill and we kept him
2) Possibly increased his trade value
3) Saved some wear and tear on our franchise QB and his confidence in an offense that had totally fallen apart for myriad reasons
4) Proved that Ragone wasn't worth anything

Since he never played outside of a couple of games his rookie year, as a team we were only left with the assumption of option 4. That seems unwise in an already lost season.

mexican_texan

Furry Tractors
jerek said:

Don't you know? The second-string QB is the best QB on the team. :yahoo:

Isn't there a policy of the Texans to cut guys loose so they can find other jobs quickly? Maybe that is why people weren't interested because they knew he was gone from the Texans roster.