Quote That Bothers Me

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by HoustonFrog, Dec 18, 2006.

1. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I know I have been harsh on Carr and all but this quote about yesterday makes me see even more why he doesn't belong here. From the Houston Chronicle today

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/4409045.html

...."I'm past the point of worrying about what's said about me."

"I'd rather just do nothing, just hand the ball off and make a couple of plays and praise every one of my teammates, because they deserve it. If we're winning football games, championships, that would be the best thing going."

Sorry but to me that is saying he has lost faith in his ability and he'd rather not lead but be lead and sit in the background. That is my take on it.

Add to that that Dunta almost called him out and I'm thinking everyone is about ready for this season to end.

2. MrMeToo

MrMeToo All Pro

I agree.

3. Blake

Blake MMQB

I disagree. What he is saying is that he is above personal stats, and that all that matters is the W.

Dunta isnt bashing Carr alone. He is bashing the Texans, and Carr is part of it.

4. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

If he says he needs to play well, he is slammed for worrying about stats. If he says he just wants wins, he's slammed for losing confidence.

I think Carr needs to go, but I still respect him for even addressing the reporters.

5. Rightnow

Rightnow Veteran

I think that Carr is at a loss of what to do anymore. I heard it in his voice this morning on the radio, he is a "broken" man.

The five years of sacks, offensive styles, pressure, losses, hatred, being compared to VY every day, his wife being spit upon, has taken its toll.

I think he wants this season to be over and if they don't invite him back he won't be heart broken. He sounded to me like he is doing some soul searching about if he even wants to keep playing here. Frankly, I don't blame him.

I hope that he catches on with another team and does well. What an indictment that would be against this organization if Carr went down the road and became what people expected here. It's not out of the question as Harrington is doing much better in Miami than he ever did in Detroit.

6. Marcus

Marcus Ruthless pragmatist

Whenever you want some expert advise on how to take a quote completely, and thoroughly out of context . . .

. . . go to an NFL football message board.

7. Cjeremy635

Cjeremy635 Overtraining

Sorry guys, but that's how I took it too. I think Carr's confidence is rattled, as it should be at this point. but there are problems with this franchise from the top down. Attitudes, game play & planning, and whatever else you can possibly think of are the root of this problem and I don't have the slightest idea what they can do at this point to fix it.

8. bckey

bckey Hall of Fame

Carr said his confidence remains intact despite his struggles.

"It's not my confidence I'm worried about," he said. "I know what I can do. I know the kind of person I am. I know the kind of husband and father I am. That stuff is all taken care of. The stuff that bothers me is the football stuff.

Wow. The football stuff is what bothers the rest of us.

9. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

How is it out of context?I see a broken QB who knows he is getting ripped and making bad plays. I see this frustration spilling over to the point where he would rather be in the background and not taking abuse. Honestly, and I said this yesterday, I'd rather have a guy say he trying and would get better to lead the team to Ws, whatever that takes then say he'd rather just hand off to guys. At some point everyone has to make plays. I think seeing it on the news was even more telling. He looked beat.

The guy is a good guy outside the game but it is best served if both parties split ways and get a fresh start. This will never go away.

10. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

No matter what side of the fence you are on, this post is pretty funny (and true).

11. TreWardTxn

TreWardTxn Veteran

The quote is not taken completely out of context. The guy is saying that he would rather just hand the ball off then actually have to go out there thinking it will be his performance that will determine the outcome of the game. That shows what people have being saying about him for years; he is not a leader, he does not want to be at the forefront, he does not want to be the focal point of this team which is what McNair is jamming down all our throats, even to Carr's displeasure apparently. The QB has to go out on the field with the mindset that the outcome of the game weighs on his shoulders; some answer the bell, others fold (for various reasons). Carr is ready to pack up and move on himself...

12. TexansFan99

TexansFan99 Rookie

Another post-game quote from Carr http://blogs.chron.com/sportsjustice/archives/2006/12/weve_got_a_prob.html

"I tried to force the issue. A couple of times, I was kind of getting hit and throwing it. I tried to do too much. I should have just checked the ball down. When we're down like that, I'm trying to win a football game. I'm tired of being close. I'm tired of playing good and losing by 20. It doesn't matter what the score was. We lost... I know I can play the game. How we've lost these games is frustrating."

I think David's perception of how he has been playing is off...."playing good"...

13. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

This quote is total garbage. David, we dont give a flying fart about what kind of husband or family man you are. We could care less. You are a crappy QB. That is all we care about. David is total garbage and this quote tells me all I need to know about how much he cares about football....he is a freakin joke

14. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I agree. It is like his quote last week before the game how they were going to have smiles on their faces and fling the ball around and surprise some people. People eat that crud up yet when the uniform was put on all that was thrown out the window..except fliging it around to the other team.

15. Second Honeymoon

Second Honeymoon Hall of Fame

yup he is a total joke. worst QB in the league besides Aaron Brooks....after all Carr proved he was better than Brooks with his -5 yards passing in Oak

16. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

This is a man who is down and out . If Bob truly liked him he would trade him .

17. mganz

mganz Rookie

I think that is hat he was saying. anything to win. beyond stats and popularity, he wants to win

18. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

Quite frankly, I don't care what Carr has to say now. "He is dead to me."

19. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Agree. I don't think it is an "anything to win" attitude, I think it is "I'll just sit back and you guys can leave me alone" attitude. Parting ways is best.

20. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I think this is a case of you guys missing his point. It's about winning regardless of whether he personally lights it up or not. I'm not calling you guys haters or getting into any of that so please understand me when I say that I just think you're missing his point.

I'd also like to add that David Carr is absolutely lousy at making statements like this clear and understood. This isn't a criticism of him as much as an observation. His body language, tone of voice, and facial expression when he makes statements like this is usually all wrong and it tends to cloud his meaning or at the very least provide an opening for misunderstanding. This isn't about his heart, desire, or ability. It's an interpersonal communications thing.

He's not a good public speaker and he never has been. I think we've all seen and heard enough from him in interviews to agree that generally David's a very dry, bland interview. He comes off kind of vauge and a little disinterested. I think it's a lot like the way Warren Moon used to be criticized for being laid back and not-particularly vocal. It's mostly a non-factor to the people he works with but it gives us on the outside something to point to.