Quinn to safety (?)

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Yankee_In_TX, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Yankee_In_TX

Yankee_In_TX Dance Lindsay!

(Please merge, I am sure there must be a thread some where)

Interview with Vance Joseph, article from AJ:

http://www.examiner.com/houston-texans-in-houston/quin-move-to-safety-appears-to-be-a-done-deal

2. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Well that sounds like Quinn to safety is a done deal.

3. adboy

adboy Rookie

"being an ex-corner" it's a done deal. also means that we are probably getting a vet corner

4. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

It's hard enough to find a safety that can do one of those duties consistently well. Finding 2 that can do "everything??" Maybe, you rethink the system.....at least for now.

b0ng likes this.
  5. PockyAF

PockyAF Site Contributor

What do you guys think of Quin at SS and Carmichael at FS? Carmichael is apparently a huge ballhawk (10 Ints in 2 seasons), but a bit unreliable as a tackler. He does give good effort in run support though.

I highly doubt that Carmichael is going to be our CB, unless we purge our current core (Allen, McCain, Molden, McMannis). And we have always been blessed with having our 4th round picks play like 2nd round pick. I wouldn't be surprise if our next 4th rounder fall in line with the others; just based on history.

BTW, Vance Joesph was saying that he thinks our safety combos should have similar skill sets. So don't think because Quin isn't 210-220, means he can't play SS for us.

6. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'd rather let Dominque Barber @6' 215lbs play the strong and keep RC @corner. He has everything he needs to develop into a good corner so coach him up. We have McMannis and Carmichael in reserve and both should develop well.

7. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

I hate the idea of "Two Safeties Who Do The Same Thing", especially when both of the safeties can't cover to save their lives. If moving Quinn to FS will make the secondary as a whole better then I'm all for it, but they need to get experienced help back there. I'm not totally in love with the idea of moving around a sophomore to a different position but whatever.

8. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

They better, Quinn is our best corner. That's my only problem with all the talk of moving him to FS. Are we going to march Allen and Kjax out there to start? Doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy.

9. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

Having Quinn and KJax/Allen out there with rookies safeties sounds even worse to me... moving Quinn to FS is a good move - we need a veteran CB either way.

10. Hardcore Texan

Hardcore Texan Magnet Man

We do need a veteran CB either way. Aso or Taylor would be ideal then yes we have flexibility to move Quinn. But we still won't have experienced safeties even if Quinn moves, it's going to take him some time. And I guess that leaves Barber at SS?

11. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Quin is the teams top corner on the Texans roster, and they really want to move him to safety ? When's the last time you heard of a team moving it's best tackle to guard, becuase I can't think of an example ? And I do think that's a valid analogy.

12. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Over the years, there have been corners who've bumped inside (Woodson, for example) and there have been tackles who've bumped inside (Tony Mandarich, lol)... but granted you usually don't do it to your BEST CB/OT.

The idea, though, is to make Quin NOT be our best CB. Pick up somebody like Aso, and moving Quin to FS is an excellent idea. :)

13. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

I never really understood, why CB is rated that much higher than S. Is Reevis and Aso really helping their team that much more than Polamalu or Reed? Safeties are in on a lot of plays, while CBs take away the other teams WR...

I think, this team desperately needs saftey help for those corners. I don`t see that much of a difference between Allen, Quinn or Jackson, so I´m really fine with Quinn moving to FS, where he can get those other guys some real help, that they were missing whole of last year.

badboy likes this.
  14. Blake

Blake MMQB

So what is Pollards future? What is in the Texans future for SS?

15. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    Well, Bernard got cut loose so my guess is he finds/attempts to find employment elsewhere.

Regarding SS, FA perhaps. I won't be surprised to see Shilo Keo there before it's all said and done. JMO

I'm sure folks more knowlegeable than myself will discuss it further.

16. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Dear Texans Front Office,

You know we want Namdi Asomuagh (sp). You've pretty much have told us no and we are trying to understand. However, getting Eric Weddle would be awesome too and we would be okay even if he's the only FA we get this year. Would it really kill us to put some money up for this guy?

17. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

In what way has the FO indicated they aren't interested in Aso? I can't see moving Quin to safety as an indicator. Rather the opposite.
    FA wish list:
    Aso CB
    Weddle S
    Breaston WR
    Leach FB
    Butler OT

18. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I'm sure Pollard ends up somewhere, I just don't know if he'll be a starter unless someone gets injured.

I think we'll get another safety in FA. I think we may get one of the upper tier safeties on the market. Hopefully, we get one of the better CBs in FA, too.

I think that it's important that we don't get too much younger in the defensive backfield. We need more experienced players back there. If we're starting all our rookie DBs along with 2nd and 3rd year DBs... well... I have a bad feeling about that.

19. Blake

Blake MMQB

Thanks. Shiloh Keo as our starting SS? Playing next to our brand new FS Quinn? With 2nd year CB Jackson, and rookie Harris? Good God can we get anymore inexperienced? Is Jason Allen being considered for a starting CB spot? Is he even signed right now?

20. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
    SM, I didn't intend to come across as stating that Keo would be our starter on opening day. I really think the FO will be very active in FA once it occurs and aquire a starting calibur safety and CB. I was saying rather that I can forsee him coming along with coaching and practice to be able to work himself into the line up "before it's all said and done" meaning seeing time on the field mid to late season.

RE Jason Allen, I believe seeing in another post that he has one year remaining on his contract IIRC.

Blake likes this.