Questions I have. Anybody have the answers?

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by GP, Aug 13, 2006.

1. GP

GP Go Texans!

OK, forgive me if these are boneheaded questions. But I was wondering...

Did Eric Winston play? If so, how did he do? I cannot recall seeing him or hearing his name called. Of course, it was the Chiefs' broadcast team and they hardly mentioned our players in the second half.

Did it seem that we were moving our defensive linemen all around the line, a lot? I noticed Mario moving further inside the line on a few plays. Is it just an in-game playcalling maneuver that Kubiak uses and they mix it up on-the-fly as to who plays wher on each play, or is there a set rotation where you know if you see Mario on the end then you got x-player at guard and y-player at tackle or if Mario slides into the tackle spot then you know where other linemen are at, etc.? I had a hard time keeping up with who was at each position all game long.

Wong didn't specifically mention when he might be back, he just said that it's looking better every day blah-blah-blah. Does anyone know the most recent timeframe for his return?

How many roster spots does Denver typically utilize for running backs? Just wondering if we can gauge how many Kubiak will carry this season.

2. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Winston played most of (if not all) the 2nd half at RT. I thought he did well, as the entire line did. Bigs ups to the O-line!

Mario played strong side end (where the TE lined up) on the base defense, and LDT in the nickel. I think Mario would have played better just staying at LDE. But this is about getting better, not how well you play in the preseason.

I had heard Wong was trying to get back by the opener. That may be overly optimisic.

Denver kept 4 RBs and 2 FBs last season. I don't know if that is typical or not. If I were to guess, I'd say Davis, Morency, Smith, and Lundy are in. Taylor on the practice squad. Cook the fullback, with one of the TEs backing up Cook.

3. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

When they interviewed him on the sidelines he danced on the head of the pin about when he would be back. I doubt he thinks he will be back at the start of the season. I suspect he would have said that he was expecting to, if he really was. IMO, I would not be very surprised to see both he and DD puped/IR at the start of the season and then not be available until I think it's the 6th week of the season or something by the rule.

threetoedpete likes this.
  4. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

That's great news! If he can dance on the head of a pin, his knee must be fine! :tease:

5. TK_Gamer

TK_Gamer Hall of Fame

lol thats great!

6. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Personally, I wasn't impressed with either Winston, or Spencer. I mean with the hype we'd been getting here, that they would be starting this year...... I don't see that happening, not unless someone gets hurt.

In theory, moving Mario inside, and putting Babin & Peek on the ends would be an awesome lineup...... explosive, and unstoppable.

In practice, I think it may slow Mario's development. Of course, this is after one preseason game.... I'd be willing to continue with this experiment, to see how it works out, but right now, I'm skeptical to say the least.

Again, this is after one preseason game, but I would like to see Weaver out on passing downs..... Mario, TJ, Payne, and Babin That would be our starting line up.

7. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

:challenge I think Spencer had a nice game and it also appears his coach thought he did fairly well too. Winston wasn't really noticed, which IMO, is a good thing for a line man.
    http://www.houstontexans.com/news/detail.php?PRKey=2748&section=N Latest News

8. Spoda

Spoda Veteran

man either i was drunk ..or you were thunder...i watched spencer and he crushed that scrub he was lined up against..nearly every play he blew him up..and i remember at least twice he was all the way down field when the receiver was tackled....and he's a big man....maybe i was drunk

9. HJam72

HJam72 Hall of Fame

I don't thing he's supposed to beat the receivers downfield, but I guess it's OK to shove your guy into the stands. :ok:

10. Spoda

Spoda Veteran

well when i say "all the way down the field" i mean 5 yards past the line of scrimmage...we didn't exactly air it out....but he would maul his guy and look for someone else to hit...i like this guy

11. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I like him too! He was all over the place the few times I pin-pointed his play. He's unbeleivably quick for his size as well.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I agree, as a prospect, his athleticism is something else..... he's got all the tools to be a really great LT.

I'm just saying I don't believe he is ready to start in the NFL. he should definitely take a few snaps..... but I don't see him competing for a starting job anytime soon.

13. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

14. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

In one quote I see you say you only watched the highlights then you say you aren't impressed with Spencer...which one is it?

Kubiak praised Spencer pretty highly fwiw

15. Roughnecks

Roughnecks Veteran

Hey no sacks and the qb really did not look like they were in danger and that has me geeked. And as far as it just being preseason the way we played last year I think it is important that we win at lease 3 of these games going in to the real season because these guys have seen nothing but losing so they need to play to win reguardless of preseason. Overall they played great and no injurys.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

They're both true...... the one where I said I only watched the highlights, were the day of the game.... I'm sure I didn't even mention spencer in my posts on Saturday.

my other posts, starting last night....... I posted saying I had watched the whole game.

Kubiak's words were vague enough.... I don't know where Spencer stood with him before the game, or what Kubiak expected from him.

but I was not impressed by the kid....... sorry. I doubt Wand is in any danger of loosing his job soon.

17. nunusguy

nunusguy Hall of Fame

I dunno, but maybe Thunder was the one who was drunk, because drunk or
    sober, you're take is right on about Spencer, IMO.
    Wand looked pretty descent to, but he's definitely more of a finesse guy
    compared to the brute powerhouse that Spencer is.

18. texan279

texan279 Hall of Fame

IMO, from after watching the game twice, to me, Wand looks much better against the run than the pass, but that is just from what I saw watching the game and might have missed some things, tomorrow I plan to take a closer look at the game.

19. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Spencer plays like Erik Williams of the Cowboys used to play . He has the hardest hand punch (I think thats what its called ) a lot of scouts have seen and he likes to use it . He pops the DE and gets him off balance and then tries to knock him down . I slow motioned several of the plays he was in .

20. Vinny

Vinny shiny happy fan Staff Member

I can't trust your judgment then. Spencer destroyed his man on one of the TD runs...just pure dominance. He had several 'take out' blocks...he looks like the real deal to me. I'll point you to some of the plays later when I go over all the possessions.