Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Question on Reggie Bush

Tex-fan0604 said:
I just dont get it?If Bush is so good and one of the best coming out in a long time why arent other teams fighting to try to get him.Every one talks about him being the total package but nobody is even talking about trading to get him.I know yall think some teams arent in need of a rb but if he's that good as everyone makes him out to be why arent they getting him.Besides we dont need a rb either but we are going to be dumb enough to get him and pass up on our real needs.

Because everyone knows its a forgone conclusion around the league that Reggie Bush is not gonna be passed on by the Texans. A team would have to sell there souls and more to get Bush away from the Texans and in this years draft the Texans feel that there is not a lot of value from other teams with the amount of picks to give up Bush, and in the era of the game we are in with the cap and everything it is just reasonable to accept the fact that you may have to face this guy(bush) and just add players to your team to combat the process of having to defend him or out score the team cause he is such an dangerous weapon.

Rumor has it the Saints are holding off on dealing down (but are working on having options in place) until the draft just in case we don't take Bush (or someone deals up for a certain qb). And, they have more depth and quality at RB than we do.

As far as dollars go, I agree that first round picks contracts are expensive - all of them. And, the top ten are really high. But, stars sell tickets.

As far as trading down goes - I think the majority agree to do it for fair value. But, since they have made it clear that they won't drop below the 5 or 6 area, they want a star to sell tickets.

If we could trade the pick for 8 2nd round picks (fair value according to the chart is between 6 and 12 2nd rounders), I would do it. I agree that phiosophy can build a great team (New England had a bunch of 2nds and 3rds from trades as the base of their run - but they also needed a start qb out of nowhere to do it). 16 3rd rounders would work also - but it just isn't doable.

As far as the pick a different position other than RB argument goes; Would I trade LaDainian (or a young Faulk or TDavis) for Ogden (or Pace) and a 2nd round pick? No. For arguments sake, we have to compare them to the best at their position if you want to talk trade values, except for QBs which are harder to guesstimate and have a higher bust factor (common sense we take into account their rankings also but to keep it simple for here assume close to the best at their position). So, we can compare Mario to Peppers, Hawk to Urlacher, VDavis to Gates - - because that is what is expected (at least by us fans of whatever team drafts them who will blissfully ignore the "bust factor"). Which would you take?
Which would you prefer to have to build a team around?

I would take a young MFaulk over Peppers/Gates//Urlacher.
(I admit I would take a young Ray Lewis over anybody, but I don't think Hawk is comparable - with Peyton in a distant 2nd but QBs have to be evaluated differently)

Back