Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Question on Lions being charged with a time out

Hookem Horns

Texans Talk Bartender
Staff member
I was at the game yesterday so I didn't have any TV commentary going on. Here is what I didn't understand. The Lions challenged the spot on Schaub's 4th and 1 sneak up the middle. The review indicated that the call on the field was incorrect and the ball had to be respotted. However even after the respot the Texans still had enough for the 1st down.

While the Lions didn't get the outcome they wanted (being short of the 1st down marker) the call on the field was still changed showing the Lions were right for challenging the spot. With that in mind why were the Lions charged a time out for challenging a play that was changed after review? Technically they only challenged the spot.

I think it depends on if they challened the ball spot or the 1st down. It might be 2 seperate things. Just guessin, tho.

I think it depends on if they challened the ball spot or the 1st down. It might be 2 seperate things. Just guessin, tho.

All the ref announced in the stadium is "the Lions are challenging the spot on the field". However I don't know if there is some rule that states to challenge the spot something else must occur, like the other team being short of a first down as a result of the challenge.

Everything I heard was that they challenged the 1st down and not the spot of the ball. Since the 1st down didn't change, they lost the timeout. Had the challenged the actual spot, they would've won the challenge.

All the ref announced in the stadium is "the Lions are challenging the spot on the field". However I don't know if there is some rule that states to challenge the spot something else must occur, like the other team being short of a first down as a result of the challenge.
They challenged whether the spot on the field resulted in a first down.

Everything I heard was that they challenged the 1st down and not the spot of the ball. Since the 1st down didn't change, they lost the timeout. Had the challenged the actual spot, they would've won the challenge.

First of all welcome to the board!

Well, you have to challenge the spot in that situation. There is no other basis to challenge the first down. I was just wondering if someone watching the game on TV heard any other commentary on that.

Well, you have to challenge the spot in that situation. There is no other basis to challenge the first down. I was just wondering if someone watching the game on TV heard any other commentary on that.

Thx!

TV commentary more or less kept saying what you just said, the challenge should've been the spot of the ball. However, they did state that the actual challenge was for the 1st down. The only thing I can think of is that Detroit figured by challenging the 1st down, they expected the ball to be moved back in order to win the challenge. Unfortunately for them they worded the challenge wrong resulting in a loss of a challenge while the ball was also moved. One of those by the letter of the law scenarios.

The only time you can challenge a spot is if there is a first down involved. That means that challenging the spot and challenging the first down is one and the same.

Here's a link to a similar circumstance that explains it:

LINK

The only time you can challenge a spot is if there is a first down involved. That means that challenging the spot and challenging the first down is one and the same.

Here's a link to a similar circumstance that explains it:

LINK

Thanks, that sums it up and answers the question. It makes sense because coaches would be challenging spots in all sorts of situations.

I haven't heard much press about it, which is surprising. I expect the league to give a big apology to the Lions soon, especially since that timeout could have influenced the outcome of the game.

They explained it on the radio today, Mark V came on with Matt Jackson and Rich Lord. Basically If you challange the spot of a ball, the result has to be a change of down or you lose a timeout. The reason being so that coaches arnt throwing red flags all game to challenege 4 inches to 2 feet of field without it beinng a dire situation(I.E. when a 3rd and 15 spot should have been 3rd and 16).

Two more gears clanked in my tired, distracted mind and I realize that they truly should've lost the timeout.

Carry on.

Prediction:

Next game, Kubiak throws the red flag over 4 inches regarding spot of ball on about 2nd and 8. :cool:

Off the subject some, but not entirely. I think we got a real break on the interferance call on AJ in the EZ vs. the non-call on our DB when he ran into the Lions WR deep into our end of the field because I thought that was closer to interance than the call on the guy defending against AJ ?

Back