Question for everyone...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Tailgate, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Honest answers apply. If someone was to tell you before the season that the Texans would be without DD of course, Mathis for most of the season, 3-4 offensive line starters for much of the season, etc,etc... basically 13-15 players on the IR total for the year.... with a totally new scheme, coaching,etc... How many wins would you have guessed we were going to win??? Coming off a 2-14 season, especially with our schedule and how tough it looked?

I probably wouldn't have gone higher than 4-5 wins myself.

2. ib4texans

ib4texans Veteran

If management new it would be without DD, they would have drafted Reggie Bush without hesitation. Hindsight is 20/20

3. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

I said I'd be happy with a 6-10 season. Looks like we may fall one short of my goal, but heck, what can you do as fans?

4. Janus3

Janus3 Veteran

if tthe texans drafted reggie bush we'd still have about 4-5 wins. MAYBE 6, big whoop.

5. Bamaborn-Texasbred

Bamaborn-Texasbred All Pro

I agree.

6. humbleone

humbleone Veteran

You may be right but I did not see the team giving up on DC Sunday and do not believe that they have. What I saw both before and after the game was a team that played its guts out on both sides of the ball and hurt together (like a team does) when they did not get the result they fought so hard for.

Go Texans...beat the Patriots into the ground!!! :marionaner:

7. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

Yeah, if I remember correctly... the Doctors said DD was healthy prior to the draft,etc.

8. ib4texans

ib4texans Veteran

Sorry Tailgate.

I wasn't trying to criticize the thread, just meant that alot was riding on him as the returning TB. 5-11, 6-12 tops going into pre season.

9. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

I honestly thought after the draft that we would finish 6-10.

That can still happen but it is looking grim.

10. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

No problem. But I think you simply helped my point. Taking him out as you say plenty was riding on him and everyone else I mentioned due to injuries,etc.... 4 wins at this point would not have seemed crazy, but logical. Even with all the changes and hope from last year, injuries would have seemed too much to overcome.

Just trying to be optimistic. Getting everyone healthy, hopefully a draft close to as good as this recent one, and some more offseason moves for depth.... I am thinking there is a great chance that next year could help us forget about this year.

11. ib4texans

ib4texans Veteran

If we get another good draft class next year we're 9-7 or 10-6.

12. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

"We are what I thought we were....."

Seriously, we are about where I thought we would be 5-11 or 6-10. The frustrating part is not so much that, but some of the games we lost and how we lost them...

13. Insideop

Insideop Hall of Fame

Yep! Before all that happened, I was thinking we were a at least a 6 to 8 win team, 9 to 10 if the ball bounced our way. But after the linemen (on both sides of the ball) started to drop like flies, I knew we were in trouble just like last year. I'm still hoping for at least 5 wins. Who knows, if we beat the Browns in the last game of the season, maybe that will reverse the bad luck we've been having since the last time we played them! LOL!

14. Tailgate

Tailgate Fall of Hame

yeah, the good ole curse of the Browns! :)

15. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

how about a starting D-Line of

Weaver......,C Killings,......a.Maddox......,Babin
    Kalu.............................Dalton...........Peek..

(that would be due to TJ and payne injured and drafting someone other than Mario)

http://www.nfl.com/teams/depthcharts/HOU

of course we probably would have kept Robaire if we didn't draft Mario.

16. HomeBred_Texan

HomeBred_Texan Hall of Fame

I guessed we would go 4/12. I am right on track until we play Cleveland. But I didn't blow my expectations out of the water because we got a new coach. Now next year I expect to be at worst, a 6/10 season. If we don't get that. then someone will have to answer dearly...

If by some strange way we do get Adrian Peterson next year in the draft, then I would even go 8/8...

17. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

I just had visions of Peterson running some plays and just imagining how different it would look compared to Dayne running them :drool:

18. Texizgreat

Texizgreat Veteran

this is my exact quote from b4 the season started..........

I feel our Win Loss ratio will be directly linked...

I feel our Win Loss ratio will be directly linked to the Carr to Turf Ratio

60+ sacks 2-3 win
    40-50 sacs 4-5 wins
    30-40 sacs 5-6 wins
    > 30 sacs 7+ wins

Just a thought

I think we are getting near the 40-50 sack range

19. jdog

jdog All Pro

I thought we could go 10-6 during the preseason. It was a hopeful expectation. I would have been happy with any improvement from last year, and we have had significant improvement in my opinion.

We've had a lot of injuries, but, honestly, the folks filling in for those players have played better than I expected. I like how the team as a whole is playing. It doesn't feel like a DD is doing everything on offense, and the defense is better than I expected, although I wish we could have kept more DL players from preseason.

In my opinion, we could be on our way to a 10-6 season right now if we played 60 minutes of football like a team laser focused on winning. Maybe we would have been playing beyond our ability, but, for part of this year, I think we played a lot of games below our ability.

The greatest challenge besides getting the personnel in place is getting the culture in place. Right now, no one feels like we have earned our seat at the table. We are the new guys on the block. We're a young team in a young franchise. We're still finding our identity. It makes it difficult to believe in yourself when the time is running out.

I have a positive attitude toward this season because I see the team as a whole heading in the right direction under the direction of capable leadership. They say it takes three years to turn a team around, and I see us being on schedule.

20. srstex

srstex Veteran

I'd have to say where we are is where I would have put us 5-6 wins. At the beginning of the season I said 8-8 would be a good season. But I agree with some others here, the play calling, IMO, cost us at least one game, and Jameel Cook two.