Question about offense

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texflex513, Jun 29, 2006.

1. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

Im not really an x's and o's guy so tell me Is it a requirement for our wideouts to be superior blockers for our running game to flourish? And how good are AJ and EM at blocking?

2. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

I'm not a brilliant Xs and Os guy either, but I do know that long runs are usually a function of WRs blocking DBs. Typically you want your RB to be able to outrun LBs and D-linemen, but the DBs catch them from behind if the WRs don't block. I would assume that WR blocking on the playside is pretty important in this Zone Scheme because it is about blocking an area and operating in space, but we should probably get Texans Chick or somebody to give us a better answer.

(Welcome to the board, by the way)

quicksilver likes this.
  3. michaelm

michaelm vox nihili

I'm not sure that its necessary to have good blockers at WR for us to 'flourish' in the running game, but to maximize the potential of any running game it is obviously better to have good blocking at that position.
    I believe that we will have exceptional blocking from our wideouts this year from WR1 to WR3.
    I don't have a hard time at all imagining that we will have among the very best blocking receiver corps in the league.

4. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

I wouldn't say superior but I would say they'd need to be decent in order for us to get that break away run. Once the RB get's past the line and LB's the only D that's left is the secondary. So with that being said the WR's would have to be decent if not good blockers in order to get that long run for a TD.

Our WR's are most definetly big enough to be good blockers. IMO

5. wrestler4life

wrestler4life Veteran

Yes. For the running game to flourish, you must have good blocking recievers. DB's are responsible for turning the run back to the inside where the bigger guys are, and safeties are big run stoppers as well. Without good blocking on those guys, most runs would have to go through the middle, which is the heart of the defense.

6. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

Yes they are, if they have the attitude to block. That has as much to do with it as size.

7. jerek

jerek Pro Hobbyist

True. All you're really expected to do as a WR is just go get in the way. That's more than a lot of WR's do on most plays. That's attitude more than it is physical specifications.

8. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Yea, I've even seen Randy Moss get in the way of (block) a couple DB's.:hunter:

9. real

real Guest

In the Zone offense especially, the WR's won't always be blocking the DB's...Alot of times they will just be simply running them out of the play...The reason for this is to make the zone play actions, and bootlegs look the same as the runs...But of course once the DB's recognize run it would help if the WR's could put a body on someone...

10. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

It's important if your looking for more than a 5-7 yard run and fortunatly both our starting WR are pretty solid blockers. In fact, AJ said a year or two ago, that he really likes to slam it to a DB.

11. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Rookie

deleted

12. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

thanks for the feedback guys

13. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

They are both good at blocking, Dre comming out of college they said loved to block.

14. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

I definitely agree, Andre Johnson, Eric Moulds, and Kevin Walter should all be good blockers for us, they are all big and pretty strong, although WRs blocking is mainly important on runs to the outside (not sure how many of those we'll see) or else on runs that end up breaking downfield.

15. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

16. MorKnolle

MorKnolle Hall of Fame

17. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

read somewhere that chris taylor is pretty fast from indy not sure if he will make the roster though.

18. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

What do you think the odds are of Lundy getting PT? IMO, DD might not be ready to go 100%. I would think we'd want to have the quicker of the backs in the game for the cutback then North/South speed.

19. texflex513

texflex513 All Pro

The way it looks now lundy would be our guy if DD is not ready with smith being used for short yardage situations

20. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Rhodes has impressed with his break out speed.