Question about Kevin Kolb

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Hervoyel, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

I'd like to know how many of you feel like Kolb might be a fit for the Texans and/or why he wouldn't be. It's just something I'm wondering about and I'd like to know what the rest of the posters on the board think about it. Is he a physical "fit" for what Kubiak does? Is there anything about him that would not work well here?

2. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

he'd be a good fit. good size, good mobility, throws just as well outside of the pocket as inside, good arm, good instincts...

3. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

Allow me.

At 6'-3" and 225 pounds, Kevin Kolb has the size to be an NFL QB. He is the smartest QB I have ever seen and is cool as a cucumber under pressure. Rarely makes bad decisions. He has 22 TDS this season and only 3 ints. The three interceptions have all been tipped balls off his receivers.

Not necessarily a fleet footed QB but avoids pressure and is a master at getting rid of the ball with a quick release. He also has a strong arm that will rifle the ball downfield.

He has outstanding character to boot.

http://uhcougars.cstv.com/kevinkolb/

4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

I think Kolb will be a 1st round pick (late teens-early 20's). Here are a couple of big time throws from Kolb.

Threading the needle

Deep across the field

Kolb is in a typical gimmick college offense, so a smart team will sit him for a year or two. Physically, he has the tools NFL teams look for in a QB.

5. Kaiser Toro

Kaiser Toro Native Mod

Never underestimate the coolness of a cucumber. :)

I do need to give him a look see.

6. gwallaia

And another point about KK.

When the Coogs are on defense I will observe Kolb on the sidelines. He is very respectful of the coaches and his fellow teammates. Each time I see him on the sidelines he is going over details with the coaching staff and offensive team. If he and the receiver are not on the same page during a play, you will never see Kolb yelling at the receiver. It is always a two-way conversation trying to determine what went wrong, not who is to blame.

Kevin Kolb has what all quarterbacks should have,...leadership skills.

7. gwallaia

This Saturday will be Kevin's last home game at Robertson Stadium.
    If you want to see him, kick-off is at 2:30 against #27 Tulsa.

8. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

I really don't think Kolb will be a 1st round pick at all, and I'm not even sure he will be a first-day pick. That has nothing to do with him as a QB, more of he plays for UofH.

I like Kolb, and wouldn't mind drafting him in the 4th to groom him. I think he will be a very good QB if allowed to develop.

9. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

the fact that he plays for houston is a moot point; scouts know how good he is. besides, it's not like he plays at some small technical school in montana. i imagine he'll be the first QB taken in the 2nd round.

10. YoungTexanFan

I wouldn't be so generous with your projections. This year there are a lot of top talent QB's including Kolb. Unfortunatly for Kolb, he plays in a spread offense and will need to sit a year or two. Think Omar Jacobs when you think Kolb. Great size, great presence, great arm, great accuracy, quick release, great numbers, consistant...but they both are not ready for the NFL at draft time. Look for Kolb to go close to where Jacobs went.

11. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

that's not a good comparison at all. omar jacobs was a FIRST ROUNDER before he stunk it up during his injury-filled junior season. kolb's stock has only gotten higher this season. if jacobs played as well as he did during his sophomore compaign he would've been a 1st/2nd rounder.

12. D-Vizzl

D-Vizzl Veteran

Not counting juniors Kolb is in the top 5 of QB's coming out next year, that's at the most middle of the second round right now. It's about more than his playing ability, supply and demand if you will, and he won't make it to the third round undrafted.

13. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I don't think he'll be a first round pick. I see him as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. I think we have bigger holes than QB to spend a 1st day draft pick on him (or any other QB). But heck, if we decide to go in a different direction, then I wouldn't mind seeing him drafted by us.

14. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

For the record I tend to agree with you TexanSam. My question was more of a "what if things go badly downhill with Carr from here on out?" kind of thing.

Also I have watched him a couple of times and I think Kolb could turn into a really good NFL QB. I just wondered what the rest of you thought.

15. real

real Guest

I watched Kolb play once, and I came away impressed...

Good Size, Good arm, Poised....Good mobility....

I think he's successful at the next level...

16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Other than Brady Quinn, who are these top talent QBs? Stanton and Brohm have been disappointments. I think Kolb's athleticism & arm will put him in the top 3 or 4 QBs after the all star games, combine, and pro days. And 3 or 4 QBs are usually taken in the 1st round.

17. YoungTexanFan

Some of the top QB's in no order:

Quinn, Brohm, Stanton, Henne, Leak, T Smith, Ainge if he comes out, Kolb. Thats just a quick, off the top of my head, list without actually looking for info.

18. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

From what I have seen from Kevin Kolb he seems like a QB who knows how to read defenses pretty well. He has the ability to make what seems like every throw and he also has the ability to run a little bit. Seems like a good fit with our rollouts and Kubiaks open mind in offensive playcalling. IMO he is a top QB prospect behind only Brady Quinn and Troy Smith. I think he would fit in well with our team but I don't think he will fit in well with our draft. He is likely to go off in the first 2 rounds, and I doubt we would take him in the 1st or even 2nd round unless we had completely given up on Carr at that point.

19. GanadoUHCoog

GanadoUHCoog Rookie

Kolb has been great in Briles' system. He would excel in a play-action....hey what do you know? Kubiak! system.

However he has yet to prove he can consistently play great in a pro system with a lot of pocket passing.

He has the size, arm strength, and is an underated athlete.

The only question is if his true talent is a little overated because he has been in Briles' system for 8 years....I don't think so.

20. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

brohm hasn't disappointed at all.