Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Quarterback Quandary?

What do the Texans need to do?:-

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I think OB is still learning how to be a HC and I am OK with that as long as he is learning and improving. I think he has improved the "toughness" of this team and that is a big factor in winning the games we lead at halftime. If we can solve the problems on the offense, we can become a real juggernaut. I do not want to make a HC change at the moment - it would set us back too far and I have haven't come to the conclusion that OB is not/can't be the HC we need. We have yet to see the coach that OB can become. I don't want to cut him loose and let another team find out he is a gem.

I agree with you that I think he will make a great head coach one day.

I think this is definitely a more mentally tough team than the one he took over.

However, if he's not getting along with the powers that be, the sooner we move on, the better we'll be.

Not fake news. There are legitament arguments for believing that Weeden could execute our offense as well, or superior to, both Oz and Savage. The big knock on him is his age. But this is a non-issue now at the end of the season. We will never know how he would have performed.

I don't think you draft a guy in the first round because you think he can operate your offense, or be a decent starter in this league. You draft a guy in the first, or pay big FA money to him because you think he's got that something special.

I have no doubt that both Savage & Weeden could have operated this offense better than Osweiler when the season started. But starting Osweiler was the right thing to do, being that the Texans felt he had that something special.

I know you've got people here criticizing the Texans because they started the guy making a lot of money a lot longer than most would have. But they paid him a lot of money for a reason. Part of that reason was beating New England in a game that mattered.

Yeah, he had the #1 defense to help him. & a pretty good rushing attack...

Fair enough.
And he's also responsible for the 3 lopsided losses this year (again) in which his team never had a chance from the start.

Where's the toughness in those?

yep, I agree. This team beats the teams they are supposed to beat, but then turtles against the 'elite' teams of the NFL. That's on coaching and the players themselves. They are professionals after all.

This Saturday will be interesting in that regard. I do not expect them to win, but I am curious if they show up and compete. There is no shame in losing to the Patriots, but how they lose also tells us a lot, too.

Would he be able to check his ego enough to change OCs and philosophies to keep the HC job or is so egotistical that he'll try his luck elsewhere, base on MSM perceptions?

I don't think he has to make changes to keep his job based on what we've heard from McNair. If he wants to leave to try elsewhere, I don't think he would have any trouble getting a job. Lots of franchises would love to have won 2 of 3 Division Championships and be in the playoffs 2 of 3 years. Texans are 1 of 4 teams in the AFC with a chance for the SB. He's a success no matter how much we would like to see more and believe the team could do better. And he's done it without a QB. Some of which has to be on him, but other teams won't put a lot of weight on that, especially if they have a QB already

I don't think you draft a guy in the first round because you think he can operate your offense, or be a decent starter in this league. You draft a guy in the first, or pay big FA money to him because you think he's got that something special.

I have no doubt that both Savage & Weeden could have operated this offense better than Osweiler when the season started. But starting Osweiler was the right thing to do, being that the Texans felt he had that something special.

I know you've got people here criticizing the Texans because they started the guy making a lot of money a lot longer than most would have. But they paid him a lot of money for a reason. Part of that reason was beating New England in a game that mattered.

Yeah, he had the #1 defense to help him. & a pretty good rushing attack...
Something Special?

Now, that's a good one. :ahhaha:

Yep, but Belichick is still in on it according to his own words:

From an interview in 2011 when O'Brien was OC (source article linked above):

Well I knew that, but BB trusts Josh tremendously. Josh has done an exceptional job over there through the years considering the constant flow of difference faces in that offense unlike other teams. I think that Josh will do well at his next destination.

If the Houston Texans end up winning Super Bowl 51 and Brock Osweiler starts and wins all four playoff games (1-0 so far with the big game at Foxborough tomorrow night), I'm more than okay having a quarterback in his prime with two Super Bowl rings heading into 2017 as our "franchise QB".

I would have held off with a thread like this until after the playoffs.
People like to predict things way too fast. Let's see what happens first.

If the Houston Texans end up winning Super Bowl 51 and Brock Osweiler starts and wins all four playoff games (1-0 so far with the big game at Foxborough tomorrow night), I'm more than okay having a quarterback in his prime with two Super Bowl rings heading into 2017 as our "franchise QB".

I would have held off with a thread like this until after the playoffs.
People like to predict things way too fast. Let's see what happens first.

A Dallas/Texans matchup in Houston with Houston winning would have me smiling till my grave. We can only dream, this may be the closet chance of that happening for the next 100 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: ROO
A Dallas/Texans matchup in Houston with Houston winning would have me smiling till my grave. We can only dream, this may be the closet chance of that happening for the next 100 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The chance for Texans v Cowboys playoff games is high for the next several years as I see both teams as PO teams for a while.

Well I knew that, but BB trusts Josh tremendously. Josh has done an exceptional job over there through the years considering the constant flow of difference faces in that offense unlike other teams. I think that Josh will do well at his next destination.

I figured you already knew it, but a lot of folks seem to be under the impression that Belichick is hands off with the offense, both in terms of pre-game strategy and in-game play calling. The truth is that there is not an aspect of football operations that he does not have a hand in. His success is truly amazing in this day and age of salary caps and free agency.

I figured you already knew it, but a lot of folks seem to be under the impression that Belichick is hands off with the offense, both in terms of pre-game strategy and in-game play calling. The truth is that there is not an aspect of football operations that he does not have a hand in. His success is truly amazing in this day and age of salary caps and free agency.

You'd think more HCs would be that way.

I can understand first time HCs focusing on their side of the football for the first few years... like O'Brien. He needs to be learning as much as he can from RAC, while trying to fix our offense, so when RAC decides to leave he can ensure RAC's method & systems stay intact. Actually he needs to install those methods & systems into his offense.

Bring in new ideas (which I think McDaniels does for Belichick) but the process of teaching, coaching, demanding & delivering excellence stays intact.

I can understand first time HCs focusing on their side of the football for the first few years... like O'Brien. He needs to be learning as much as he can from RAC, while trying to fix our offense, so when RAC decides to leave he can ensure RAC's method & systems stay intact. Actually he needs to install those methods & systems into his offense.

Bring in new ideas (which I think McDaniels does for Belichick) but the process of teaching, coaching, demanding & delivering excellence stays intact.
Demand and deliver Excellence?

You've had a ton of far-fetched posts before, but this one is the best.

Excellent.

:barman::brando:

I think a lot of hc's are involved on both sides of the ball. Hence the failure rate. Ob needs to be involved LESS on offense and learn to delegate. I think it might be time to show us ob is more mature/wise then what we realize. What he's doing isnt working. Bring in a legitimate oc and grant him the authority to make things work. This is a "grass growing paint drying offense" - frankly, he should be embarrassed. I am.

I agree; but, and someone might verify this, I believe Weeden is currently under a 1 year contract and would need to resign. If I were Weeden, I wouldn't. I'd want to go to a team where I might start or at least be #2.

If this is the case, we might have to draft a low round QB to be #3, or sign another FA.

The Texans should let Weeden go and draft a QB for the future. Weeden is not the future.

I've been mistaken. Weeden is under contract for 2017. $1,550,000 salary/$600,00 roster bonus/$2,150,000 cap hit.

Belichick is a great coach and deserves all the acclaim that he can get, but let's not forget he has maybe the best QB of all time leading the offense. After Brady retires if he keeps coaching the Patriots will be on a level with Pittsburgh and the other teams to contend... Balt., Den, Indy, KC and yeah US

Back