QBs Probably Won't Believe Mercilus to be a One-Hit Wonder

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Jun 20, 2012.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This is a cross that Mercilus will have to bear until he shows that he can unleash on the NFL level.

2. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

[​IMG]

In Wade We Trust!

pbat488 likes this.
  3. GP

GP Go Texans!

This is why I say that Mercilus is possibly a contingency plan for IF Antonio Smith has to walk due to salary and/or cap space issues.

Folks, this Mercilus kid is every bit as athletic and driven as JJ Watt is.

When the coach says they put him down in the tackle spot...then that says they know he can play there if needed.

I don't think Wade wants him there. He wants him at LB. But it's a bonus that we have a guy who can play on the line or behind it. Period.

4. The Medic01

The Medic01 Veteran

I think Jared Crick if he plays well in his limited time this year will be Antonio's replacement. I think Mercilus was drafted for rotational/depth purposes this year and if necessary to replace Barwin if he is allowed to walk next year.

5. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I agree. We have 3 important guys with expiring contracts in Brown, Schaub and Barwin. I think we can only re-sign 2 of them, and it seems that Barwin will be the odd man out. Mercilus will hopefully be able to replace him in 2013.

6. The Medic01

The Medic01 Veteran

Too bad they are at three premier positions. LT QB and pass rusher. I really think we might be drafting another pass rusher next year in the first round if we lose Barwin.

7. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    If Crick replaces Smith by next year, I'll replace Vince McMahon as the most stunned person of all times. I'm a Crick fan too but that's some :koolaid: talk.

If nothing else, why wouldn't they at least try to trade Smith and get something back instead of letting him walk for nothing?

8. The Medic01

The Medic01 Veteran

Not really. He was a projected second rounder before his injury so it's not unlikely he could perform well enough to replace Antonio.

9. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

He would get killed playing 3-4 DE on a regular basis.

It was college and again it was situational.

10. GP

GP Go Texans!

Most definitely.

But it's good to know Mercilus The Destroyer has played some DT and the coaches didn't flinch in putting him there from time to time.

His bread is buttered on the LB side, though. No doubt.

11. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I mocked 2013 with a 3rd going for OLB Devin Taylor South Carolina 6'7" 267
    http://www.gamecocksonline.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/taylor_devin00.html

I do think Mercilus will be a one hit wonder. He will hit the QB one time and the QB will wonder where his momma is.

12. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

13. The Cush

The Cush All Pro

My thoughts exactly. Illinois ran a 4-3 I believe, you can get away with putting smaller guys at the tackle in that scheme. Mercilus is around 260 while Jared Crick is around 280 (going off wikipedia here). Kubiak said in an interview during OTA's that Crick needed to get bigger and he definitely will be playing a lot of 3-4 end and maybe some nose. If Whitney is going to play Antonio's spot he's going to have to get wayy bigger. I think he's perfect at OLB

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

This guy is too small to play inside in the NFL. He can get away with it in college, but not in the NFL. He'd have to put on 30 lbs of muscle just to get into the conversation.

Besides, we've got Antonio Smith replacements in training already. Tim Jamison has been coming on the last couple of years & now Jared Crick looks promising.

15. Rey

Rey Guest

Tim Jamison.

Glad you mentioned him because I think people are sleeping on him as a possible Antonio replacement down the line if we even look to replace Antonio. A lot of people looking at crick and saying he is key, but I think Jamison is at least in the discussion.

Regarding merci, I want to see him more than any other rookie. I was not blown away with his college film so I'm anxious to see him in person and with this group of guys.