Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fitzpatrick + Keenum

• Fitzpatrick + Keenum + Yates

• Total voters

Sigma

Veteran
I was wondering how many QBs will be on our 53 men roster this year...

what do you think is the most likely scenario?

(PS: with "NEW_QB" I mean the one we will acquire via draft or FA/Trade)

I was wondering how many QBs will be on our 53 men roster this year...

what do you think is the most likely scenario?

(PS: with "NEW_QB" I mean the one we will acquire via draft or FA/Trade)
Probably three and maybe a fourth on the practice squad.

Probably three and maybe a fourth on the practice squad.

that would be my guess too, I don't think they will put on practice squad the #1 overall pick, (if he is a QB of course) but at the same I don't think TJ or case will go from active roster to practice squad, so if we go QB at 1-1 we'll lose one of them...

I really don't know what to expect

I don't believe Yates or Keenum will be PS eligible. Likely both or at least one of them is gone. Depending if they carry 2 or 3 QB's on the 53 man roster.

I think the trade for Mallet deal is gone... won't happen. But if it does, I would think Mallet & Fitz would make the roster & Yates & Keenum are out.

& even though there apears to be some kind of attachment to Keenum from high up in the organization... I think the game is too fast for him. I've yet to see Tj run backwards & take a 20 yard sack (I've also never seen him drop back 20 yards & throw a 70+ yard TD either, but...)

So I think it will be Fitz, Yates, rookie

I think the trade for Mallet deal is gone... won't happen. But if it does, I would think Mallet & Fitz would make the roster & Yates & Keenum are out.

& even though there apears to be some kind of attachment to Keenum from high up in the organization... I think the game is too fast for him. I've yet to see Tj run backwards & take a 20 yard sack (I've also never seen him drop back 20 yards & throw a 70+ yard TD either, but...)

So I think it will be Fitz, Yates, rookie

I think that you may be right about Keenum but O'Brien will tell us that. If that's the case then he'll part with Keenum without hesitation and make management understand why that has to happen. If he looks at him and decides that the game isn't too fast for him but rather that those kinds of plays resulted from something else (what that would be I won't speculate) then he'll keep him and I think that we'll be able to say that he kept him because he thought he could do something with him. Same goes for Yates. Regardless of who we keep (if anyone) I'm looking forward to seeing that player in another system behind an improved offensive line.

Cant see Yates still being here, and think Keenum may find a home as a back-up in Philly, or another location where his skill-set matches the scheme more closely. Seattle maybe?

I think it will be Fitz, plus draft-choice, plus either another draftee or FA.

How upset would you be if the Texans decide they don't like any of the QBs in this draft?

If they decide to have a QB battle in camp & Case or Tj wins (whoever you like more, let's not get into a Case vs Tj thing)?

I can't imagine that happening, but if it does... I'm upset. It will be difficult for me to believe the Texans are trying to win in 2014 & it's going to make it very difficult for me to want to make that two hour drive to Houston.

Cant see Yates still being here, and think Keenum may find a home as a back-up in Philly, or another location where his skill-set matches the scheme more closely. Seattle maybe?

Much will be decided on whether Yates decides to improve or is satisfied to maintain like last year.

How upset would you be if the Texans decide they don't like any of the QBs in this draft?

If they decide to have a QB battle in camp & Case or Tj wins (whoever you like more, let's not get into a Case vs Tj thing)?

I can't imagine that happening, but if it does... I'm upset. It will be difficult for me to believe the Texans are trying to win in 2014 & it's going to make it very difficult for me to want to make that two hour drive to Houston.

I think if they don't like any of the QBs in the draft, as in likely 2015 starter, that is exactly what they should do.

What you want to waste a 3rd or 4th to salve your feelings on whether they are trying? You really think that is a good indication - spending a pick on a QB they don't believe will add to the chance of success this year or in the future either.

I think if they don't like any of the QBs in the draft, as in likely 2015 starter, that is exactly what they should do.

What you want to waste a 3rd or 4th to salve your feelings on whether they are trying? You really think that is a good indication - spending a pick on a QB they don't believe will add to the chance of success this year or in the future either.

I don't want them to waste a pick on a QB they don't believe in. There are too many holes to fill for that luxury.

I wouldn't be upset as much as I'd be confused. If they didn't draft any QB's at all I'd be watching for the upcoming trade or free agent signing.

If that then didn't happen I guess I'd be wondering if O'Brien really saw something in either of them or if he was just treading water for a year. I'd assume that would be with the Texans front office approval.

Then I'd do the only thing I could do. Hope the guy who got picked to start lit it up. That wouldn't make it any more likely to happen but what else can I do?

:turtle:

You can't just draft any old quarterback if you need one. If you get to a certain pick and the QBs you have remaining aren't at the top of your board at that point, you draft what's at the top of your board.

If you get through the entire draft without drafting a QB, so be it.

That given, I expect us to target a QB later in the draft. (I know it kills Lucky to use the word "target" and "later in the draft", but that's the way I think it works.)

Other than the same generic stuff every coach says about preferring size what is there that makes you or anyone think he is size obsessed?

Well, I don't really see either of them impacting the team, so whoever gets the 3rd QB spot it won't matter too much in regard to football. I can only assume they are equally attractive as 3rd string practice QBs, but Yates is a more prototypical 6'4, and Keenum is 5'11.

However, Keenum was an UDFA, so cutting him costs us nothing in the way of salary or compensatory picks. TJ Yates was a 5th round pick, who is not making considerably more money than Keenum (+150k), and could potentially give the Texans a compensatory pick next offeseason if a team signs him. So if I were Rick, I'd shop around after the draft to see if Keenum can fetch a late round pick, or maybe package him with a current pick to swap up a round in this year's draft. It's a cheap price to pay for potentially a 6th or 7th next year, or more importantly, it could protect a higher compensatory pick from being nullified through free agency.

Well, I don't really see either of them impacting the team, so whoever gets the 3rd QB spot it won't matter too much in regard to football. I can only assume they are equally attractive as 3rd string practice QBs, but Yates is a more prototypical 6'4, and Keenum is 5'11.

However, Keenum was an UDFA, so cutting him costs us nothing in the way of salary or compensatory picks. TJ Yates was a 5th round pick, who is not making considerably more money than Keenum (+150k), and could potentially give the Texans a compensatory pick next offeseason if a team signs him. So if I were Rick, I'd shop around after the draft to see if Keenum can fetch a late round pick, or maybe package him with a current pick to swap up a round in this year's draft. It's a cheap price to pay for potentially a 6th or 7th next year, or more importantly, it could protect a higher compensatory pick from being nullified through free agency.

OK. I misread your post then. Seems like quite a few people are predicting Bortles now basically off of size. Figured you would explain better than most.

If they don't take one of the top three this year, it's slim pickings after that. This is not a good year for QBs unless you got a top 5 draft pick. This draft is going to be interesting for the Texans. No matter what they do, this board will totally destroy itself that Thursday night. LOL

If they don't take one of the top three this year, it's slim pickings after that. This is not a good year for QBs unless you got a top 5 draft pick. This draft is going to be interesting for the Texans. No matter what they do, this board will totally destroy itself that Thursday night. LOL

Thorn, it's not that much better if you're in the top 5 picks either. This just isn't a particularly great year for QB's period.

Thorn, it's not that much better if you're in the top 5 picks either. This just isn't a particularly great year for QB's period.

Exactly.

There is no QB worth the #1 pick this year.

Take a flyer on one in a later round and hope Brady lightning strikes.

They are about to sign ButtFumble to be the third QB in Philly...

Could see Keenum giving it a go in Cleveland with Lil Shanny...

They are about to sign ButtFumble to be the third QB in Philly...

Could see Keenum giving it a go in Cleveland with Lil Shanny...

I think Lil Shanny will eventually be a better O coordinator than Kubiak (hell, he might be better already), and I think he has the ability to implement a game plan that's more dynamic than the typical Kubiak game plan, and more in line with Keenum's abilities.

Dang, when since the Combine did Keenum shrink 2 inches?:)

Hmmm...My take is that this is a pretty dang good QB draft unless you're in the top 5.

If OB really does find the top 5-6 QB prospects very close, in terms of talent and upside in the NFL, I wouldn't be butt hurt with alternative scenarios. There are some very good QB's in this draft. Just not 1 or 2 great ones.

EDIT: I voted Fitz+Keenum+ new QB. I'm torn on the Keenum vote, though. Due to fanbase pressure, keeping him or cutting him makes sense.

Dang, when since the Combine did Keenum shrink 2 inches?:)

1 and 5/8 inches.
2014_whistling_and_rolling_eyes.gif

Been watching Keenum again on Game Rewind, and I wouldn't let him go anywhere. He's got some things to learn, no doubt, but the ability is there. Not saying go with him as a starter again so soon at all, but I'd keep that guy around.

Been watching Keenum again on Game Rewind, and I wouldn't let him go anywhere. He's got some things to learn, no doubt, but the ability is there. Not saying go with him as a starter again so soon at all, but I'd keep that guy around.

If Keenum stays then I guess we are going to carry 3 QB's on the 53 man roster.

If Keenum stays then I guess we are going to carry 3 QB's on the 53 man roster.

I'd say that's right in a year where we really have no clear cut starter to begin the season and a new HC with an all new system. You never know what can happen and it's better to have 3 QB's with you from the start that learn your system early on than to try to sign one mid-season and bring up to speed in case of an emergency.

I honestly think it will be Fitz/Keenum/Rookie, and the starter will be decided in camp. I think any 3 of those have a legit shot at starting. Yates will find his way to the Ravens.

Other than the same generic stuff every coach says about preferring size what is there that makes you or anyone think he is size obsessed?

confirmed interest in osweiler (6'7"), mallett (6'6"), bortles (6'5"), mettenberger (6'5"), and savage (6'5")

confirmed interest in osweiler (6'7"), mallett (6'6"), bortles (6'5"), mettenberger (6'5"), and savage (6'5")
Call me crazy, but it seems to me that BOB has expressed interest in pretty much every QB available that's not named Freeman, Vick, Gabbert, Ponder and the like. I wonder if BOB likes Glennon...

Case Keenum is better than T.J. Yates, IMO. I'd like to have Fitzpatrick or Keenum starting Week 1 of the 2014 season. The rookie quarterback we draft, especially if it's in round two or three (not first overall), can sit and learn the playbook. There shouldn't be a heavy desire or need to rush him at all unless he was drafted number one overall, aka Johnny Manziel. I'd rather have Jadeveon Clowney #1 though. I'll be disappointed if we take Khalil Mack but I can butter up myself into liking him if he's as big a beast as people say.

I will love the Mack's pick. If there is not franchise QBs in the draft, don't gamble on a QB with a lower grade. Pick the best player available, Khalil Mack should be the one. Sorry Clowney fans, he probably should have worked harder. I am really concerned about Clowney's work ethnic.

I'd say that's right in a year where we really have no clear cut starter to begin the season and a new HC with an all new system. You never know what can happen and it's better to have 3 QB's with you from the start that learn your system early on than to try to sign one mid-season and bring up to speed in case of an emergency.

I honestly think it will be Fitz/Keenum/Rookie, and the starter will be decided in camp. I think any 3 of those have a legit shot at starting. Yates will find his way to the Ravens.

Yates is one Texan that I highly suspect Harbaugh would say, "No thanks, we don't want him" too.

Back