QB prospects

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by mexican_texan, Sep 18, 2008.

1. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

I figure, the RBs have one.

Case Keenum is not NFL material.

2. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I saw Ball State play and I must say I was very impressed with junior Nate Davis. He's 5th in pass efficiency, right behind Chase Daniel and Christian Ponder (new FSU QB).

Career stats:

Passing Stats

YEAR TEAM CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT
    2006 BALL 150 245 61.2 1975 8.1 18 81 8 146.65
    2007 BALL 270 478 56.5 3667 7.7 30 77 6 139.13
    2008 BALL 66 88 75.0 916 10.4 9 61 3 189.37

Stats provided by ESPN

He also had 5 TDs on the ground in 2007.

What I saw in the game against Navy was a great deep ball, good pocket presence, the ability to look defenders off. He seemed to read the Navy defense pretty well but it was the Navy defense, so take it how you will.

3. rmartin65

rmartin65 I'm Score

2009 is not a good year for Senior QB's. However, if some underclassmen declare, then it gets good.

My top 10 (draft eligible):

Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
    Mark Sanchez, USC
    Matthew Stafford, Georgia
    Tim Tebow, Florida
    Cullen Harper, Clemson
    Rudy Carpenter, Arizona State
    Colt McCoy, Texas
    Hunter Cantwell, Louisville
    Curtis Painter, Purdue
    Tom Brandstater, Fresno State

4. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

im not really lookin at qb's, mainly focusing on needs of the texans. but i will say, ole miss has some really good lookin young talent. RB brandon bolden has potential to be sec freshman of the year, he looks like a senior.

back to qb's though, jevan snead looks like the real deal. i love this kid. transfer from texas, had to sit out a year, and is performing better than i expected. at this point i dont really see him being a high draft pick so i would absolutely support the texans picking him on the second day. i think he'll be a quality backup in the pros and kubiak would really help. unless brink or boyd make the roster next year, snead is a pick if im gm. he fits the offense perfectly and is a smart qb. sage will be dealt in the offseason if schaub stays healthy or at the very least will leave via FA. we'll need a backup and snead is the guy i would groom.

5. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

Sam Bradford, Oklahoma
    Mark Sanchez, USC
    Matthew Stafford, Georgia
    Tim Tebow, Florida
    Cullen Harper, Clemson
    Curtis Painter, Purdue
    Tom Brandstater, Fresno State

Not in that order but those are the QB's that look real sharp so far but in the end I see it being Stafford, Harper and Painter in the first two rounds. The jury is still out of Tebow since he is a Meyer product and well all know how his last QB turned out.

6. painekiller

painekiller Hall of Fame

I like Sanchez also, but he is looking like a 1st rounder and I am not ready to go QB in the 1st just yet.

If he where available in the 3rd, I would jump.

7. J-Russ

J-Russ Hall of Fame

Good thing you made this thread, we might actually need it by the end of the season.

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Sad but true :gun:

9. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

Stafford will be the top QB in the draft IMO.

Big, athletic kid playing well against the SEC. He's on a winning team and he has a rocket arm.

10. Bubbajwp

Bubbajwp All Flopper

Who ever we draft had better have alot of attitude.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

Give me Tim Tebow .... I know he doesnt have the best measurables but the guy just seems to find a way .

12. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

Oh man. I would be very unhappy. Not only because he is a Gator (and that is the overriding problem here) but another Urban Meyer product (see Alex Smith). Tebow is a great college football player, but the dude doesn't throw accurately consistently, and he's not going to be able to truck people like he does in college. He benefits tremendoulsy from Urban Meyer's system. Anybody see the amazing improvement in Chris Leak when Urban Meyer came in. All that misdirection and shifting really makes things alot easier on the QB.

Having said that it will be interesting to see how he develops in the NFL.

13. LonerATO

LonerATO Hall of Fame

Stafford is a beast but he does have a ton of talent around him. I kind of like Max Hall right now good arm and he is older then most players

14. YoungTexanFan

Many of the top QBs have a ton of talent around them. Arguably the top 3 QBs are from USC, Oklahoma, and Georgia...the top 3 schools in the nation.

15. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

stafford & Sanchez are the only 2 worth looking into. Sanchez can move has a rocket for an arm & comes from a good system. The same for stafford.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  16. YoungTexanFan

I like my QB's from winning programs with a pro-style offense and a strong arm. I think their ability to lead a successful team in college is undervalued at time and overvalued at time. It should just be a factor along with ability and things like release time, sacks (pocket awareness) compared to just hurries, and why kind of offense they run. Guys like Reesing and Daniel shouldn't be drafted high because they run a dink-and-dump system. I love Reesing but he isn't NFL material.

17. Mr teX

Mr teX Hall of Fame

not only that but daniels is short & reesing's arm strength is questionable. I too think that college success should be made more of a factor, but it has to be taken into account with all the other things; intangibles, arm strength etc. One things for sure...Jay Cutler probably doesn't agree with us. I had the opportunity to sit & watch him yesterday & he looks like night & day from last year, clearly a different guy & the top qb from that draft.

18. YoungTexanFan

I'm still not sold on Cutler, but that is a different issue. In defense of Reesing, he has remarkable arm strength for his size. More than adequate for the NFL, however, it's the other things that hold him back. If he or Daniel were to get a shot, it would need to be in a WCO. However, we aren't here to talk about them because I don't like any of them at the next level.

19. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

Sounds like VY. No thanks.

20. YoungTexanFan

Tebow actually has a good ball. He needs to work on accuracy on his crossing routes and becoming more of a "drop-back" passer. However, QB's are the hardest position for me to judge accurately, as is the case with many other people. There are way too many intangibles that go into determining QB success that only a FO would have access to leading up to the draft.