Putzier updates/discussion

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by O.G., Mar 14, 2006.

1. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

2. I hope we sign him. I will be happy with him, Weaver, Rosenfels, Cook as add ons and hopefully Flanagan. We will have new faces on offense,defense, and the coaching staff. It's good to have a fresh start and put the 2005 season behind us. Come on draft. :redtowel:

3. Big78

Big78 Veteran

how is Jeb at blocking? i know that he is a pretty good reciever, but how's his blocking skills?

4. Coach C.

Coach C. Hall of Fame

he is a good reciever and an ok blocker. He is not going to wow you, but he will get in the way most of the time. I doubt that Jeb is not signed by the Texans unless he asks for just stupid money.

5. GP

GP Go Texans!

This guy has talent. I see him signing with us due to the Kubiak Factor.

6. Sarg01

Sarg01 Hall of Fame

Let's just hope we don't end up calling him, "The Putz".

7. el toro

el toro All Pro

Would be a decent pickup. Texans need guys who are going to fit their offense which Putzier just played in for the last however many seasons.

8. Mathis13

Mathis13 Veteran

I think we have a great combo of a great blocker in Bruener and some great hands in Putzier

9. PapaL

PapaL Loose Screw

So that would make him our best block and receiving TE. Would love a guy like V.Davis from Maryland in the draft, but Putzier would be better then anything we have right now.

10. Mathis13

Mathis13 Veteran

Well it would be so much better if we got putzier and bush :yahoo:

11. DoCRoN

DoCRoN Veteran

I read a report that Putzier fell out of favor with the Denver coaches sometime this past season. I just moved back to TX from Denver 8 months ago and only recall "good things" being said about Jeb. Anyone know the scoop here?

:confused:

12. 4Texans

4Texans Hall of Fame

I heard that on the radio this morning, so I'm curious to know just who he fell out of favor with?

13. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

Putzier is:

Fair speed
    Good Hands
    Tough after the catch
    Modest Blocker
    Hard worker
    Good Locker room guy

Bigest hit on him is he isn't a crushing blocker, but as Coach said, he will get in the way. The Broncos are/were looking for the crushing type blocker for the run game. When he catches the ball he just doesn't lose it even when smacked.

14. keyfro

keyfro Hall of Fame

putzier would be a good addition...he won't be jason witten...sigh...but he would definetly be better than any TE we currently have on roster

15. TexanExile

TexanExile A New Hope

It's a good question--I've seen that reported in a couple of places, yet this Bronco-heavy coaching staff seems intent on taking a long look at him. What's the deal?

According to Len Pasquarelli, the Broncos didn't want to pay him a $1.5 million roster bonus. But his stats don't indicate a giant drop-off from '04 to '05 (receptions about the same, no TDs last year vs. only 2 in '04, average ypc slightly down, total yards down a bit)...so I'd tend to think the "out of favor" thing must be something off-the-field or just plain wrong.

Adam Schein at Foxsports.com interviewed Putzier and said Jeb definitely wants to get back with Kubiak: here's the story but note that not much else Schein predicted for the Texans has come to pass (yet).

He'd definitely be an upgrade for what the Texans have now...but he's not worth big huge $--you know, it's not like he's Morlon Greenwood. :heh:

16. O.G.

O.G. Veteran

Here is that article from Fox:

Houston — In talking to free-agent tight end Jeb Putzier on Wednesday, he made it clear that he would love to be reunited with former Denver offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak. Putzier would be an ideal fit for David Carr and the Texans offense. Houston also needs veteran help on the offensive line. Look for names like Jon Runyan and Jason Fabini to pop up. The Texans will explore John Abraham, Julian Peterson, and the vastly underrated Ben Leber.

If we get any othe players mentioned in addition to Putzier, we will be well on our way.

17. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

Right now...I'm really hoping for Putzier. Good at blocking, good at receiving, just a solid TE. And like someone said, better than anything we have right now.

18. F-minus67

F-minus67 Hall of Fame

This doesn't have to do with Putzier, but G Bob Hallen who the texans were looking at signned with the Browns.

19. TEXANS84

TEXANS84 Moderator Staff Member

Leber would be good for me, and Abraham wants in the neighborhood of 15-17 million in guaranteed money. Something I hope Charlie wouldn't pay. :challenge

20. 66cobra

66cobra Veteran

Leber signed with the Vikes on the 1st or 2nd day of FA; I liked him too, but he ended up with the first team he visited. I just want to see Putzier end up here because that guy is like a Timex - takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. If we don't get Putzier or any other serviceable TE, I would not be surprised to see the Texans trade down to get Vernon Davis or take Fasano (Notre Dame), Thomas (Texas) or Klopfenstein (Colorado) in the 3rd or 4th round.