Put together a trade scenario game

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texanmike02, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

OK. We know what the big news of the day is and I hate it but lets play GM. Do you see a team that has a need for draft picks (or maybe this is the time that you deal tate?)

For example: So you have a team like KC (in need of some fairly major parts to be added through the draft) and you have a stellar player on their roster who is aging (30 years old) is there any chance that if the worst comes to pass that we float the idea of a 2nd (or a 2nd this year and a 3rd next year) or something and try to get that guy from them? A first? A first in 2014? Tate plus a 2nd?

Mike

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

I think a big problem would be getting a veteran like that to fit in our cap at this point.

3. Texanmike02

Yeah, that will be a problem but I'm sure there's a way to make it work somehow.

I wouldn't normally suggest it but I keep thinking about Tate. We know he's gone in two years. Even if you want to trade what you think the value for Tate would be at the end of the season (a Second?) and try to help a team in need of draft picks or a team like GB/Seattle that has a young player behind a LB that you like... and then move tate at the end of the year to reclaim recoup your draft pick...Just thinking about it. We have done a great job of acquiring quality depth at several positions and it seems like we might be able to cash one of those chips in. If this were just another starter I would say roll with it but this is one of the guys that makes it all go.

Mike

4. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

We got a starting LB in James for nothing, shouldn't take much to get one to play next to him. :cow:

5. Rey

Rey Guest

I guess "you get what you pay for" is true after all.

6. Rey

Rey Guest

Maybe we can trade some picks to Philly for Demeco.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke Hall of Fame

The Chiefs aren't going anywhere and Derrick Johnson is coming up on 30 and could use lots of picks, doubt he'd fit our cap.

Karlos Dansby, MIA? D'Qwell Jackson, CLE?

8. awc713

awc713 Rookie

derrick johnson from the chiefs??

9. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Edit Patrick Willis' position to QB, then trade him for a 7th round pick, cut him, then resign him to vet minimum, and edit his position back to ILB.

It works in Madden. :kitten:

In all seriousness, I just don't see our FO making a big splash to cover one injury, I see the same thing I've seen in other moves we've made, we have a mix of vets who understand the position and guys we've drafted years ago and groomed into what we want. I think they'll try and find value off the street to make up the numbers, and they'll have already done their homework on who fits and who doesn't, and they'll move from there.

I like Dobbins, I think Sharpton has done alright covering for Meco and has a year and a half in Wade's system if he's fit enough to go. Alexander wouldn't still be around if they weren't confident he had something about him either.

Looking forward to getting Braman back too, I know he's an outside guy, but he gives us options to move some guys around situationally.

We also play 3 Safeties pretty well and can incorporate even more of that instead of the 3-4/5-2 going 3-3 with the extra Safety in the box which actually offers a lot more flexibility in terms of the looks we're throwing teams pre-snap.

Whilst I'm not claiming it isn't a massive loss, I think Wade has the guys behind extremely well prepared and I'm sure the playbook is pretty fluid to take advantage of the skill-sets of different personnel.

When DeMeco went down we had a massive problem because our DC tried to make the personnel fit the playbook, under Wade, I feel the playbook changes to fit the personnel, its a huge difference.

buddyboy likes this.
  10. Texanmike02

I'm going to go back and look but I wonder if any team that took a LB in Tate's class has guys stuck behind a starter (kind of like tate). That would be ideal as we would be close enough on salary to make it work.

Mike

11. Errant Hothy

Errant Hothy Hypermediocrity

LZ's trade options

http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootba...e-texans-options-for-replacing-brian-cushing/

12. NastyNate

NastyNate I go kerplunk

I say we trade Joe Marciano for a paperback version of "Special Teams for dummies".

13. wildroot

wildroot Veteran

14. Scooter

Scooter Funky

this may sound pretty ignorant, but are there any young players out there worth a first round (or multiple picks) that their teams might accept the offer? the 49'ers have been mentioned for their backup - what about bowman? would they be willing to part with him since they have someone else already able to step in?

the draft being such a crap shoot i've never really had a problem trading picks for players. we're at a point now that we're barely even playing our picks, it seems to me that it would be wise to try and make the most of our current opportunity.

15. amazing80

amazing80 Site Contributor

You would have to find a bad team, like Carolina and Jon Beason or Dan Connor in Dallas....not sure either is worth a 1st, but find a starter on a bad team or a quality backup on a team who has other needs.....

16. Scooter

Scooter Funky

beason was actually my first thought, but i wrote it off since carolina needed him. i completely forgot about kuechly though, who's being discussed as taking the MLB spot away from beason. in that scenario, similar to 49ers having someone ready to come in, the panthers fit almost all the criteria of a potential trade partner. the only hurdle would be his contract, he signed a big one in 2011.

17. Texan_Bill

Texan_Bill Subscribed Contributor

18. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Not saying I would do this trade,

But Brooks for Dan Connor seems like a trade that could be made. Not sure about the $$$$.

19. amazing80

:vincepalm:

20. amazing80

:vincepalm: why the hell would we give up another starter to gain one? then we would have a hole at olb, lets not anoint Mercilus as good as Reed quite yet. He has barely seen live action thus far. We need an ILB without losing another starter on defense. And we do this by trading draft picks.