Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Put the pink soap away for good: Kubiak extended until 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
I said it on the other board(Mailman saw it ;))

Texans owner Bob McNair is working on a multiyear contract extension for coach Gary Kubiak that could be completed as early as next week.

Kubiak has one year left on the five-year, $10-million contract he signed to become the Texans coach in 2006. Kubiak's new deal is expected to extend through the 2013 season and perhaps longer, according to McNair.

“We've been working on our assistant coaches, and we don't have all of them signed, but I think we've pretty much got them resolved, and everybody will be signed through 2012,” McNair said Monday. “Now we're in the process of working on Gary's extension, and I think probably by next week, we'll have his finalized.

“His will run at least one year longer than (2012), maybe more.”
Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith, who joined the Texans in 2006 and signed a four-year extension in 2008, have put together a team that's coming off its best season. The Texans won their last four games and finished 9-7. They missed making the playoffs for the first time on the last day of the season.

“I think Gary's done a good job,” McNair said. “I look at our results, and I look at what some other coaches have done, and I evaluated his performance against others. We have a great foundation in place.”

McNair wasn't going to let Kubiak work under a one-year contract.

“I think continuity's extremely important in building a strong team,” he said.
“It can impact free agency.

“It's important when you hire (assistant) coaches. Our new coaches (offensive coordinator Rick Dennison and quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp), who are outstanding, were getting contracts beyond Gary's, and I told him to let them know it wasn't an issue.

“I think we're on the right path. I think we have to keep building on the foundation we have.”

The Texans are going to hire a new strength and rehabilitation coach. Ray Wright, who was elevated last year when Dan Riley was fired, also was fired after the season.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl...(chron.com+-+Top+Stories)&utm_content=Twitter

Time to put all that coaching talk aside. At the same time, please hear me out. I understand not wanting your coach to work under basically a 1 year deal where he is a lame duck, but on the other side, what has warranted an extension? 1 winning season? Maybe a 2nd this upcoming year? Ahh it is what it is.

Kubiak got the extension but he will still be fired next season if he doesn't improve and get this team in the playoffs. And you can bet the soap will show up on these boards quick if the Texans get off to a crappy start. No excuses next year and if the Texans make the playoffs next year with the brutal schedule they have then Kubiak will deserve to stick around. The extension was merely to keep potential free agents from getting scared off and give the coaching staff some confidence going into next season.

Reactions: J_R
I don't think this means he has as much job security as an extension may imply. Believe me, if the team went 5-11 next year he'd be fired and we'd be paying 2 head coaches for years. This, to me, is more for what McNair said, posturing in free agency and giving assistants security. We couldn't have gotten Dennison if Kubiak's situation wasn't addressed. We wouldn't be able to sign free agents to multi-year deals in free agency if they kept asking "will the HC be here in the future?"

Yes Kubiak is being given a vote of confidence but its not a blind endorsement of his career as an HC. Really, no HC in this league has job security. Everyone is on a one year deal.

That is the first I had heard about Ray Wright getting fired. I guess they didn't care for him too much to fire him after 1 year.

Good points Bckey and M5K. I'll admit, I jumped since I saw extension, and was thinking, what?! But both valid points you both brought up

The Kubiaks and their coach know he only has one more year left to prove other wise.

That is the first I had heard about Ray Wright getting fired. I guess they didn't care for him too much to fire him after 1 year.

Yeah this is the first I have heard about that. Wonder if they have someone in mind. I can't wait for all the feel good fluff pieces on whoever it is.:cool: Boy, our players sure sounded like they loved Ray's new regimen. Third times a charm.

Rex Ryan handing a game ball to their S&C coach after week one couldn't have helped his chances.

Yeah, it's kind of strange. I suspect that he may have mis-handled something, because I didn't see anything that said "Fire that guy". In fact, they seemed to have better health overall than in most of the previous years.

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH.

"Today, I feel that I am the luckiest man on the face of the earth"

"Except for my kid being born, this is the greatest day in the history of my life... and I just want to say one thing to my wife, who's at home. Yo Adrian, I did it! I did it!"

Sorry. I couldn't come up with anything original to express the shear joy I'm feeling right now, so I thought I'd leave it to Lou Gehrig and Rocky Balboa.

Really, this isn't a surprise and still doesn't take the pressure off this next year. If he loses, he is gone and they eat a couple of years. If he wins, they have him locked in.

If Kubes is getting an extension until 2013, he probably has to go Capers in order to get the axe next year. Unlike players coaches money is normally guaranteed in the NFL. If I saw a one or two year thing, then, I would accept that Kubiak is playoffs or bust, but I am not buying that McNair is going to just pay good ole Gary four years of pay for 1 year of work w/o it being obvious that he made a huge mistake. (See extending Carr).

Holy ****.

My first season ticket payment is due in a few weeks. McNair wants more of my cash for this mediocre coach?

*******k him. If they want to look at a successful coach in four years, give Sean Payton a call.

HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEHEH.

"Today, I feel that I am the luckiest man on the face of the earth"

"Except for my kid being born, this is the greatest day in the history of my life... and I just want to say one thing to my wife, who's at home. Yo Adrian, I did it! I did it!"

Sorry. I couldn't come up with anything original to express the shear joy I'm feeling right now, so I thought I'd leave it to Lou Gehrig and Rocky Balboa.

Don't get too smug now. At the end of the day, your boy Kubiak will likely lead his team to 8-8 next year.

Extension or not, a shitty coach is a shitty coach.

Is there anyway we can keep him for next season, see how he does THEN extend him? I have a bad feeling that once he gets his extension he will fall flat on his ass and we might end up 6-10 or something....hope this doesn't happen.

What I think of Kubes = :splits: + :scarygirl: + :pissed:

Is there anyway we can keep him for next season, see how he does THEN extend him? I have a bad feeling that once he gets his extension he will fall flat on his ass and we might end up 6-10 or something....hope this doesn't happen.

That's exactly what's going to happen. He's going to get complacent, sit on his butt, ignore the division games, bring us to 7-9, and say "It's all on me."

So what was Kubiak supposed to say to Dennison? Come coach for a year with me in Houston, move your family and risk your coaching reputation on a lame duck year with me? The only way to attract coaches AND keep the ones on your own staff is to offer security. On paper this will provide that security. But then again anything on paper can be changed or ripped up (although you still have to pay the contract).

So what was Kubiak supposed to say to Dennison? Come coach for a year with me in Houston, move your family and risk your coaching reputation on a lame duck year with me? The only way to attract coaches AND keep the ones on your own staff is to offer security. On paper this will provide that security. But then again anything on paper can be changed or ripped up (although you still have to pay the contract).

Won't he be risking his coaching reputation with Kubiak anyway? You are kidding if you don't think Dennison and Knapp don't realize that they could be canned next year right along with Gary. Everyone in the NFL - everyone - knows that the problem in Houston is the head coach.

It's not like Dennison is suddenly all "Oh, Gary got an extension! I'm set for a long time."

Won't he be risking his coaching reputation with Kubiak anyway? You are kidding if you don't think Dennison and Knapp don't realize that they could be canned next year right along with Gary. Everyone in the NFL - everyone - knows that the problem in Houston is the head coach.

It's not like Dennison is suddenly all "Oh, Gary got an extension! I'm set for a long time."

I think its more like "Oh, Gary got an extension so it'll be that much more difficult for Bob McNair to fire him" which in the NFL is worth something. I agree they could be canned next year and everyone knows coaching is the problem here, I'm sure Dennison thinks if he can become a part of the solution (improving the running game, improving closing games offensively) it'll better posture him for head coaching gigs, which Kubiak said is something Dennison is thinking about and aspires to.

I think a lot of this has to do with this. At least I hope so. With Mcnair though, you just never know how complacent this guy could really be. Arlington Texan is right about the fact that with a longer 4 year deal the chances of him being here longer are higher because of the pay off if Gary was axed in one year. That doesn't mean that it couldn't happen, but it just makes the chances of Gary's stay longer possibly if he were to fail again. It might not be a "no excuses" or a "playoff or bust" attitude from Mcnair next season with Gary. If those reasons that you mentioned aren't the main causes for this, then this is unbelievable.

Meh. If anything, perhaps this'll help in free agency. Players like the continuity and will go where they play, get paid, and have some stability in who hired them. (Not necessarily in that order)

If Kubes is getting an extension until 2013, he probably has to go Capers in order to get the axe next year. Unlike players coaches money is normally guaranteed in the NFL. If I saw a one or two year thing, then, I would accept that Kubiak is playoffs or bust, but I am not buying that McNair is going to just pay good ole Gary four years of pay for 1 year of work w/o it being obvious that he made a huge mistake. (See extending Carr).

If we don't make the play-off's, Bob will eat the rest of the contract and move on. No way Kubiak stays without a play-off trip.

If we don't make the play-off's, Bob will eat the rest of the contract and move on. No way Kubiak stays without a play-off trip.

That's not exactly true. If enough legitimate excuses pile up (injuries to key players, ect.) over the year he'll be here even if he doesn't make the playoffs.

Dear Bob McNair,

I'd like to submit my resume for employment with the Houston Texans. I can be a top legal advisor for you...on some days. On other days I might just knock off and play golf or spend 10 out of 11 hours playing Tetris or WGT. But believe me, whenever it is deadline time and I really need to step up, I will. I'll show you how good I am. Then when the next year starts I might have some good things to add regarding how we can avoid some costly situations regarding sponsorships, etc....or I might just let them pass where we will get in trouble. But in the end I promise I'll decide to get it done.

Thank You For Your Time

HF

That's not exactly true. If enough legitimate excuses pile up (injuries to key players, ect.) over the year he'll be here even if he doesn't make the playoffs.

The scary part Thorn is that excuses can pile up no matter what kind of season it is. I was listening to some talk this morning and I just don't get why he couldn't have made it through 2012. I agree with others that even if he tanks, McNair might keep with the program. That is poor management. Especially since one year might be an off year.

Also, why are some people so hell bent on making this a "Pink Soap" vs "Kubes" thing. It is really a legitimate issue that should be discussed because how many years McNair gives Kubiak shows where Bob's head is at, no matter what side you take. Celebrating your side, despite the implications, just seems ridiculous since the team hasn't accomplished anything yet. To me this kind of reeks of Carr in that it doesn't seem well thought out. Bob is just going with someone he likes again.

That might be what you want, but an extension to 2013 does not scream playoffs or bust, it says I am happy with the direction of the organization. The assistants are under contract until 2012. Jerry Jones extended Wade Phillips only 2011. That's a situation where perform this year and we will reevaluate, we have an owner who values stabilty and patience.

Although I have never met him, it would be impossible for to say Kubiak is a bad guy. Moreover, he is from Houston and has put together an offense that can move the ball. With the CBA uncertainty, this seems like a logical move to me.

To me this kind of reeks of Carr in that it doesn't seem well thought out. Bob is just going with someone he likes again.

See thing is not everyone thinks Kubiak is doing a poor job and it appears Bob is one of them. And this isn't like HWWNBN who was getting worse when they extended him.

That's exactly what's going to happen. He's going to get complacent, sit on his butt, ignore the division games, bring us to 7-9, and say "It's all on me."

Would you be willing to share that crystal ball with the rest of us?

Not trying to be rude, or even advocate for keeping Kubiak, but we really don't know what's going to happen next year. We do know that about 4 losses can be strongly attributed to 2 players who share the same last name, and that if this is not addressed in some way, Kubiak has some serious 'splaining to do, but where do you justify 7-9? Kubiak has had one losing season. One. Is this team over-achieving? Not a chance. Is that on the coach? Yes. But I am still of the ilk that believes this team is not as good as people believe it is.

To win in football you have to win in the trenches. Guess what...we can't do that. Therefore, we are not as good as most other teams in the league. Once we can dominate at least one side of the line, then I'll start considering us capable of the playoffs. Until then we've got all the glitz and glamour of a nice passing game with none of the nitty-gritty. It's like bringing a kid to a math competition who's amazing at doing multiplication in his head, but can't handle fractions or even addition.

I just don't really see where the talent is in the non-glamorous positions. We've got most of our skill positions set (save DBs), but no real workhorses.

I fail to understand how he's going to get "complacent" and lead us to 7-9. Perhaps if he tries to get flashy in the draft and take even more skill positions, but if he goes hard after getting better line-play on both sides, I see the potential for us to break that threshold. Has Kubiak proved he's a great coach? Not at all. But year 5 is the year that a coach has absolutely no excuses. Let's let them play the game and then we can criticize how he coached in those games.

See thing is not everyone thinks Kubiak is doing a poor job and it appears Bob is one of them. And this isn't like HWWNBN who was getting worse when they extended him.

He isn't doing a "poor" job. But as an owner I think you need to assess mistakes from the past and then look at what you can do to avoid that again. I think the simple act of extending him would have done the job. He could have cut a year and gotten the same result. Instead, I fear, if Kubiak has any trouble next year it looks like Bob might chalk it up to 5 years of learning. I'm not being negative about it but if you look at both sides of the fence, the schedule, etc you can still lock him up and then move forward. Even with a lockout you would still have time to talk shop after a good year.

He isn't doing a "poor" job. But as an owner I think you need to assess mistakes from the past and then look at what you can do to avoid that again. I think the simple act of extending him would have done the job. He could have cut a year and gotten the same result. Instead, I fear, if Kubiak has any trouble next year it looks like Bob might chalk it up to 5 years of learning. I'm not being negative about it but if you look at both sides of the fence, the schedule, etc you can still lock him up and then move forward. Even with a lockout you would still have time to talk shop after a good year.

My main point was this isn't a situation of just liking Kubiak as it arguably was with HWWNBN. There really isn't an argument the Texans were not better this year than last so the argument has been over whether they are better enough. HWWNBN was extended after a season in which he had regressed.

Personally, I don't think the extension means much of anything. If we have a bad year, he's gone. If we have a so-so year, he might be gone. If we're in the playoff hunt on the last day of the season, he's coming back.

I think that's the same situation he would have been in even without the extension. Not having the extension didn't seem to make it harder to get assistants. I'm not sure it would have made it that much harder to get FAs. It's not like we've ever gone balls out to get FAs in the past.

I fail to understand how he's going to get "complacent" and lead us to 7-9. Perhaps if he tries to get flashy in the draft and take even more skill positions, but if he goes hard after getting better line-play on both sides, I see the potential for us to break that threshold. Has Kubiak proved he's a great coach? Not at all. But year 5 is the year that a coach has absolutely no excuses. Let's let them play the game and then we can criticize how he coached in those games.

Because there is faction that have already made up their minds that Kubiak is a "mediocre" coach who will never take it to the next level, and have now got the red ass that McNair doesn't see it that way, and are now throwing the David Carr thing at him.

Sour grapes. The pink soapers didn't get it their way. Can't wait until they come back later and say "Well, um . . um . . I'll eat crow now".

:rolleyes:

Because there is faction that have already made up their minds that Kubiak is a "mediocre" coach who will never take it to the next level, and have now got the red ass that McNair doesn't see it that way, and are now throwing the David Carr thing at him.

Sour grapes. The pink soapers didn't get it their way. Can't wait until they come back later and say "Well, um . . um . . I'll eat crow now".

:rolleyes:

Again, why take it here? Sounds childish. There are legitimate concerns with a long term contract vs a couple of years. There is no "getting your way here." Getting people's way means the team is winning. Everyone is happy. Plus no one has gotten any way. Everyone knew he was getting an extension. He still can be fired anytime if not performing. It is a matter of how many years. Thus the discussion. Just like McNair I'm not sure some people here learn from the Carr and Sage debates. Two debates where I'll gladly trot out my side on to see who got their way..lol

My main point was this isn't a situation of just liking Kubiak as it arguably was with HWWNBN. There really isn't an argument the Texans were not better this year than last so the argument has been over whether they are better enough. HWWNBN was extended after a season in which he had regressed.

Agree. They were better. I just have issue with the length and thought he would be more cautious after DC since a payout occurs if bad things happen.

Again, why take it here? Sounds childish. There are legitimate concerns with a long term contract vs a couple of years. There is no "getting your way here." Getting people's way means the team is winning. Everyone is happy. Plus no one has gotten any way. Everyone knew he was getting an extension. He still can be fired anytime if not performing. It is a matter of how many years. Thus the discussion. Just like McNair I'm not sure some people here learn from the Carr and Sage debates. Two debates where I'll gladly trot out my side on to see who got their way..lol

That won't stop a seemingly normal every day person from turning into a sperglord once sitting comfortably behind their screen and keyboard discussing the "latest thing that gets their blood boiling". I've said before that I wasn't in favor of an extension because I'm still rather unsure about him as a coach. I think it's very possible he can succeed but I don't believe anything he's done (record wise) yet can qualify as "Resounding success". Getting new assistants and coordinators did not prove to be a problem without an extension so why do it now when there's nothing beating us in the face to do so?

But I also realize that coaching salaries are a mere pittance in comparison to player salaries so extending a coach and then firing him next year is not that out there like it was with David Carr.

Well, when Houstonspartan jumps on this thread and begins to predict "another 7-9 season"... even though there hasn't been one of those under Kubiak, it does give the impression that the guy isn't exactly hoping for the team's success. After all, we were 9-7 this season. The off-season hasn't even started yet. Surely a fan can be cautiously optimistic at this point and still voice his trepidation for the coach. But, not him, I guess.

Getting new assistants and coordinators did not prove to be a problem without an extension so why do it now when there's nothing beating us in the face to do so?

We don't know that. For all we know Smith and McNair signed Dennison in part representing they were working on extending Kubiak. Odds are this extension has been in the works for a while.

We don't know that. For all we know Smith and McNair signed Dennison in part representing they were working on extending Kubiak. Odds are this extension has been in the works for a while.

It may be true and then again it may not. Dennison might feel that there will be no football in 2011 and figures he might as well put himself in more of a spotlight role than what he had in Denver.

I can't just assume that no extension would have been a huge roadblock in getting assistants here just because.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back