Prospects you like

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Childress79, Jan 25, 2019.

1. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

yep saw that and immediately chuckled. Same with corners Clifton Duck and Donnie Lewis. My guy Maxx Crosby OLB did get there but is from one source listed as a 7th rounder (I hope).

2. OptimisticTexan

OptimisticTexan Hall of Fame

WR, Denzel Mims- Baylor / 6-3 @ 209 lbs / Projected 4.4 with a crazy catch radius.

Denzel Mims - Don't Forget My Name / Highlights on YouTube

Denzel Mims - NFL Draft Network

steelbtexan likes this.
  3. Childress79

Childress79 Rookie

Didn't Mims return to Baylor?

JB, steelbtexan and Lucky like this.
  4. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

JB and steelbtexan like this.
  5. OptimisticTexan

That would make sense. Mims had a heck of a write up and it just didn't make sense that he was rated as a RD7 prospect. Since he's staying for another season in Baylor, Mims draft stock could be drastically improved.

6. YoungTexanFan

YoungTexanFan Hall of Fame

It's really not looking good for either of the Iowa TE's making it to our pick in the second round. I didn't think it was so unrealistic a month ago, but I don't think we'll be able to snag either.

7. OptimisticTexan

There's another really good TE that could be there in RD4....maybe RD5. Josh Oliver out of San Jose State. He's 6-5 and weighs 253 lbs. He's got a cut frame which means the weight he's carrying is quality. I would speculate that his physique means he's already in possession of his NFL strength. Has sound hands and can handle the blocking chores in both the run and passing game. He had his best season in 2018 which has many scouts thinking he's got a nice ceiling to get even better. I'd love for the Texans to recoup a RD4 pick since I just don't think this type of athlete slips into late RD5.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
    justmy2cents and steelbtexan like this.
  8. TexansFan15

TexansFan15 Veteran

I’d love it if we were able to draft either of them, but unfortunately I agree that I don’t think we’ll get the chance. This TE class is super deep. We might be able to draft Irv Smith Jr or Isaac Nauta. Otherwise, we still might be able to get another quality guy to add in the mid rounds.

9. TexansFan15

TexansFan15 Veteran

Has anyone looked into OT Tytus Howard? I haven’t, but someone just mocked him to us in the 1st.

10. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

According to LZ's analysis, I don't think there is any way he goes in the first

link

edit: Who mocked him in the 1st?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019

11. TexansFan15

TexansFan15 Veteran

Good to know. Thanks for the info.

JB likes this.
  12. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

BTW, Drafttek has him going in the 6th to Denver... and a bit of a reach at that

13. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

Brugler: Pre-Combine NFL Draft Rankings: SEC cornerbacks lead the way in a deep class

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Lucky and JB like this.
  14. zshawn10

zshawn10 Hall of Fame

^continued

Lucky and JB like this.
  15. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

David Long is criminally underrated as a CB prospect. His analytic numbers are off the chart.

David-Long-psr-rtg.jpg

bah007, Lucky, Texansphan and 2 others like this.
  16. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

17. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

For these lists, I use the 40-yard dash times that teams have on file for the player. For some, it is a time from spring practice and for others, it is only an estimation. It will be interesting to compare the 40-yard times on file to the “official” results at the combine in Indianapolis. Cornerback is a stopwatch position and drastically different times could change the outlook on a few of these prospects.
    &&&&
    Based on estimation, OK so that's petty damn lame.
    As we know 40 times mean little for many if not most position groups. For example: # of 225 lb reps are meaningful for lineman (both offensive and defensive, particularly the latter), but 40 times I'd venture to say mean squat for offensive linemen.
    But 40 times are big,very, very big and meaningful for corners. For example if a CB estimated to be a 3rd round pick who's recorded a 4.5 40 but improves to sub 4.4 in the combine he may now be elevated to a 2nd round pick.

steelbtexan likes this.
  18. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Guess I should have read the article. The teams may have timed these guys during the spring or something. I think some college coaches let scouts come in to see practice, just can't talk to the underclassmen. Could be legit numbers. Just don't know which is real and which is a guess.

I hear you and agree pretty much on some of the testing. But, even a 40 time on an o-lineman can help a bit in scouting. Is the guy a complete athletic slug? Does he have a lingering injury? Does he just not like to stay in shape? It's a piece of the puzzle.

19. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Too often IMO the reliabilty of hand-timed 40s at the prospects school/training facilities are questionable because of conflicts of interest vs the Indy Combine and then manual hand-timed sprints are obviously of slower reactions (resulting in quicker times) than electronic equipment is.
    In all of the years that I've been a fan of the Combine & Pro-days I've rarely, hardly ever heard of a prospect having a better time at the combine vs his Pro-Day.
    OK I'll buy that because there's never an issue about having too much info on a prospect but often there is a problem with too little intel.

20. Texansphan

Texansphan Hall of Fame

I'm more interested in his shuttle and cone drills - shows how agile and good on their feet they are.

steelbtexan and JB like this.