Props to Smith & staff for UDFA finds.

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Corrosion, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

I posted this in another thread (practice squad discussion) but I believe it merits its own thread.

The job Rick Smith and the scouts have done in the past few years finding UDFA's is pretty damn astounding as better than one in five players on the current roster are UDFA's , 11 of 53.

They've also had some pretty good picks at the top of the draft with Watt , Cushing , Jackson among others , the high profile , big $$ players.

Its their ability to find guy's no one else wants and plug them in their system getting solid returns that has allowed them to manage the cap situation and keep the core of this team in tact.

They really deserve a tip of the cap for finding four more UDFA's who made the roster this season , five if you consider Keenum who spent last season on the PS.

2. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Yep.

Rick Smith looks smarter every day. [​IMG]

3. BullBlitz

BullBlitz Section 331

Foster was a real discovery. Dobbins and Jamison are no more than average rotation players. That's 3. Toss out the long snapper and the rest have yet to prove that they belong in the NFL.

Three UDFAs out of 53 isn't unusual.

4. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Dobbins was already removed because he's not an UDFA.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Four of them are rookies so no duh, just like #1 in the draft they are unproven. Lots of rotation players are draft picks. Going on your 5th year like Jamison or 3rd year like Braman is already a successful career and they have clearly convinced an NFL HC they belong in the NFL. Throwing out Weeks is just silly. Fact is it is a spot being filled without a draft pick.

6. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

Mixed bad on this year's crop for me. Good job of recognizing guys with some trait worth signing, but if the OLBs that were drafted had performed better (or stayed healthy) , Jefferson and maybe even tuggle would not be on the final 53. Same with CB. Roc Carmichael, another mid-round pick, really just had not done the job.

7. Texanmike02

Texanmike02 Site Contributor

What?

Mike

8. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

He cant count past three .... :roast:

9. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

If the Texans were as deep as some make them out to be, then there should be no way 4 UDFA's should make the final 53.

I dont really believe this, I'm just doing my best TK impression. LOL

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

But on the other hand, what does it say if Undrafted rookies make the 53-man squad but some of your Draft picks don't ? For example, Undrafted OLB Willie Jefferson makes the team but 4th round pick OLB Travardo Williams doesn't. And don't mention the phony-baloney IR status of TW, that's a fraud.
    I dunno, but maybe somebody wasted a 4th round pick ?

11. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

What it says is the draft is a crap shoot, nothing more, nothing less

ObsiWan likes this.
  12. Rey

Rey Guest

I'm not really impressed. And yeah I'd throw weeks out since no one drafts designated long snappers. I'd be more impressed if the texans drafted a player that could long snap and contribute somewhere else.

As far as the rest of the udfa's...a lot of it is throwing **** against the wall and hoping it sticks. If you fail somewhere in the draft or free agency or simply neglect a position draft wise, then udfa's are going to make your team.

This year, an udfa was going to make the team as the fifth corner. That's because draft pick Carmichael sucked. The two draft picks at olb sucked. That opened the door for udfa's there.

I think they deserve some credit, but some of these guys choose the texans because they look at the roster and see they have a good shot to stick. Texans make a lot of calls to udfa guys. Some choose them some have other offers and go elsewhere.

I'm more inclined to give them credit for late draft picks that pan out. In those cases they identified a guy and drafted him vs an udfa where you aren't guaranteed to get a guy and you have to fill out your camp roster anyways so you're calling a bunch of guys anyways.

13. cuppacoffee

cuppacoffee Resident Grouch

It could be worse. He is still on the team.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...tyler-wilson-fourth-round-184531227--nfl.html

:coffee:

14. LikeMike

LikeMike Hall of Fame

I don`t really think people believe the Texans are a very deep team. They have a lot of strength in their starters, but when you look past them - HB, QB and maybe WR are alright, the rest is pretty uneven. Our O-line, TE, D-Line, LBs, Ss and perhaps CB backups are suspect to me.

But I don`t care where someone is drafted - if they can contribute I want them on my team. And kudos to Rick Smith for finding guys like Wood every year.

15. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

The way I look at it is that you need some of these UDFAs to pan out to compensate for the misses.

It's the thing that keeps the Patriots going for a long while now, besides Brady, of course. Due to the hard salary cap, you cannot keep all the good players that you develop; Some go to the wayside via injuries; others are pure misses or don't quite work out.

Look at Belichik's record with the Pats; he has had several busts that he has been compensating for with lower draft picks and UDFAs.

Look at the Ravens; they must be the team that has been having the most compensatory picks for the past decade or so, and they also had to rely on several UDFAs and castoffs.

16. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Williams made the team... He is on IR. Argue with that if you would like, but remember your argument every time you see randy bullock kickoff out of the end zone. He was stashed on IR last season and will turn around our kick coverage unit this year.

17. powda

powda Hall of Fame

Sounds like some of you guys hate smith so much that you want charley casserly back. Geez, i'll pass. He's not ozzie newsome but how many people are? If smith were fired today I think he'd be first in line for any future gm openings. I like the guy and i'm glad we have him.

18. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

By the way, the texans ability to improve the team depth without crippling the salary cap is predicated on finding success in late rounds and Udfa. Many of those will be two or three year projects, requiring patience. The texans will have multiple extra compensatory picks next year after losing: Casey, barwin, ball, forsett, quin all to qualifying deals.

Good teams, run well, will have 9 to 11 picks most years and will only have 5 or six roster spots available to be filled. Notice how many 3rd and 4th round picks haven't made the team for New England, Pittsburgh, etc...

19. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

Groin injuries are no joke, I know that from own personal experience back in the day when I was living my very modest athletic "career". And Bullock had a groin "tear". Ouch ! I could imagine that being downright debilitating for a kicker. On the other hand I never heard a definitive explanation about the kind of
    injury TW had ? In other words, it was BS plain & simple.

20. Texecutioner

Texecutioner Hall of Fame

I don't see what has been so great about the UDFA finds. Foster is the only big time player out of these. Teams all over the NFL have players like this on their rosters. The draft is a crap shoot any ways. All teams every year will have players that don't pan out even in the first round or two. That's why free agents at fair prices have always been the better way to go in my eyes if you feel like the player isn't a contract type of player that will dog it as soon as he signs a new contract. I hate Smith's philosophy of mainly wanting to only build through the draft. It has hurt the team in many other seasons. When he has reached out to get other free agents like he did two off seasons ago the Texans had their biggest improvement ever.

Where I will give Smith and management props as far as drafting goes is their first round picks over the last 5 years. They have been pretty damn good picks especially if Jackson continues to improve like he did last season. Brown, Cushing, Jackson, Watt, Mercilous is a pretty good list of guys over the years. We'll see what happens with Mercilious, but the team needs to put his ass out there for a while and see what he can do. When he got to play last season I liked what I saw. We'll see how Hopkins does this season.