Proposed 2012 NFL Rule Changes

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by majestrate, Mar 22, 2012.

1. majestrate

majestrate All Pro

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7720081/nfl-owners-vote-replay-injury-list-rule-changes

So far, looks like:

• Eliminate referees from instant replay reviews
    • Expand what the booth official rules on
    • Allow a player to return during season from IR
    • Expanding the postseason overtime rule to the regular season
    • Making a horse-collar tackle on a QB inside the pocket a 15 yd penalty (currently no penalty)
    • Expansion of defenseless player rules to protect defensive players against crackback blocks to the head, or being blocked by an opponent headfirst (currently only protected by low crackback blocks)
    • Moving the trade deadline from after the 6th week of games to after the 8th week of games
    • Allowing teams to have 90 players on the offseason and training camp rosters, before the first cut; counting unsigned draft choices
    What is a crackback block? -- http://football.about.com/cs/football101/g/gl_crackback.htm

2. Rey

Rey Guest

Those are some pretty intriguing proposals...

3. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I like all of the proposals except the Over time rule, that one was dumb to begin with. Here's the simple solution to NFL overtime, first team to score a touchdown wins. That's it. No FGs, no extra points, no confusing possession rules, just TD. It would be awesome to watch teams in the Red Zone on 4th down go for it. Goalline stands in overtime would be epic. FGs are lame, this league is built on touchdowns.

I have said for a long time that IR needs to be changed to an MLB DL type of listing, where the team regains a roster spot, but the player must be out a designated period of time. 8 weeks kind of makes sense, but I do hope they put a caveat in there about them being able to return early for the playoffs if they are placed on IR within the last 7 weeks of the season.

4. Texaninlild

Texaninlild Hall of Fame

I prefer the playoff OT rule to the long standing one.

5. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Your rule would be fine with me but I like the playoff overtime rule they instituted better than the old one.

6. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

I'm fine with all of them, especially the four below.

Allow a player to return during season from IR

Expanding the postseason overtime rule to the regular season

Moving the trade deadline from after the 6th week of games to after the 8th week of games

Allowing teams to have 90 players on the offseason and training camp rosters, before the first cut; counting unsigned draft choices

7. GP

GP Go Texans!

Not a fan of the ticky-tack proposal below:

Expansion of defenseless player rules to protect defensive players against crackback blocks to the head, or being blocked by an opponent headfirst (currently only protected by low crackback blocks)

I mean, the game is going to slow down sooooo much. Every ref will be trying to look for any sign of an illegal block. They're already looking for so much in the first place, this just adds another thing for them to knee-jerk on.

8. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Agree here, not exactly the same thing but the number of Special Teams plays getting called back last season was so frustrating, I know some of it was down to our team committing too many block in the back fouls but its way too strict.

As I see it, these guys all get paid really well, get padded really well, with excellent medical care. They've been paid through university (whether they chose to take advantage of the education available to them or not) and have chosen to be out there taking their chances.

I don't mind some anti-concussion rules and things of that nature, but when we start giving the zebras all these different reasons to throw flags it gradually ruins the game. Hell, I've only been watching NFL for 8 seasons and the game has changed noticeably in that time so it must be horrible for older guys who've been watching since black and white.

As for the overtime rules, good move, IR rules are also good, allows the teams a bit of freedom to deal with injuries.

9. Scooter

Scooter Funky

this one would've been added years ago but fans were having too much fun watching hines ward earhole bigger defenders. they had to wait until he retired.

10. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

How big is the IR list then? Would anyone ever get get cut? I think this rule would be abused, with guys going on IR for a hangnail. Maybe a special IR list where one player at a time can be reserved?

11. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

My OT rule would be both teams get at least one possession. That's all.

That's a bit of misunderstanding. Full discloser, I'm the dad of a player on scholarship, but that also gives me a little insight. These kids fulfill scholarships by working their butts off 11 months out of the year. Workouts are not voluntary (spring training just kicked in last Monday), and their summers are almost non-existent.

Free education you say? Well, consider the billions brought to these universities by college football, and universities are clearly turning a profit on the work of these athletes. "Free" is defined as "without cost or payment". But they have to WORK to keep those scholarships, and they have to EARN them accordingly.

Academic scholarships certainly have none of the demands put on them that athletic scholarships require. Add to this the long term health implications of playing college ball to the mix, as well.

Not ranting on you, welsh texan, but rather jumping off on your point. :)

12. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

QB horse collar should stay the same. Pass rushers while engaged with blockers all the time reach out with one hand and grab QB shoulder pads from behind. This will give Qbs another advantage. How much more help does the Offense need?
    Cant hit QB in head or at Knees cant grab by collar. What is left area from thigh to pecs?

13. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Agreed, the reason for the rule is prevent injury and when your in a stationary position in the pocket, how much of an injury risk is there? Has to be very little, if any.

14. steelbtexan

steelbtexan Hall of Fame

Hate the expanded horse collar/crackback rules.

More of Goodell changing the way the game is played for the worse.

15. Rey

Rey Guest

I know we use hyperbole and we use words loosely, but qbs aren't really stationary in the pocket. Even the least mobile qbs slide and move around and try to avoid pressure.

16. Rey

Rey Guest

I don't like the rule by itself, but since the roughing penalties are so skewed towered the defense I actually like this as balancing things out.

17. Fili

Fili All Pro

Only if the IR rule changed in '11...:trophy:

18. jaayteetx

jaayteetx Hall of Fame

Yes, you are correct but a DT tugging at a qb's shoulder pads while said qb is "sliding and moving" still does not bring the injury risk up, imo. Those injuries occur when your in sprint moving forward and someone tugs you down from behind. I mean, really, can anyone ever recall a qb getting hurt on something similiar to what they are proposing to eliminate?

19. Fred

Fred All Pro

No. JJ Watt hit Dan O in the thighs and got a 15 yard penalty when Dan O managed to duck his head down far enough that their helmets lightly grazed.

I think the D Coordinators need to start teaching pass rushers to only hit the passing arm. Would cause a lot of fumbles. If he secures the ball, keep yanking on his arm until you get him on the ground. But do not touch his head/torso/legs. Probably lots of QBs with ripped tendons or broken bones in their passing arms, but it is the only way to tackle them without getting a penalty.

Or quit screwing around and go ahead and put pink tutus on all the QBs. The defenders can't touch the QB, but they get a sack if they can pull some sequins off the skirt fringe.

20. welsh texan

welsh texan Lest we forget

Interesting to get the perspective, DB, thanks. Obviously university sports over here is a completely different animal, turning out for the soccer team at uni was more about the drinking session afterwards, with no crowd in attendance and no scholarship available.

I still think that the league is a little too focused on watering down the sport right now, and that given the reason of protecting players from injury, they do have a heck of a lot of reward, all things told, for being out there and the education is just a small facet of it.

Good luck to your son btw, lets hope to see him trotting out at Reliant in battle red at some point in the future!

Double Barrel likes this.