ProFootballFocus' Top 101 Players in the NFL

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by Playoffs, May 14, 2013.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Not sure I agree with the ordering of many of these players, but it at least is not the joke the NFL Network's list is -- and it's done by guys who watch & grade every game.

Certainly challenges conventional wisdom, but you have to go to the linked article and backtrack to the rankings to read why they ended up where the did.

ProFootballFocus' Top 101 Players in the NFL
    [​IMG]

2. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

I didn't go through the entire list, but I agree with Watt being #1. He had absolutely as much impact on the Texans' wins as any player in football had for their team. He was dominant from start to finish, and had one of the two or three best seasons from a defensive player in my lifetime.

3. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

I just can't believe Arian's not on the list. 15 rushing TDs should count for something.

4. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

lol @ Joe Flacco being no. 100 on the list. Dude had one of the best post season performances in NFL history, won the Super Bowl and earned the SB MVP, yet a couple of flashy rookies are higher on the list.

yeah, that's credible. :rake: I'm not even a Flacco fanboy

5. Playoffs

What PFF said...

A poor game is any rating below-1. In the regular season Brady & Rogers had no game ratings below -1, Manning had one, Flacco had five and Schaub four(barely missing on two others). Sanchez had eight, fwiw.

Firing Cam Cameron helped greatly.

6. Double Barrel

I understand all of that. I just disagree.

Regular season is merely a means to an end. That end is getting to the playoffs.

I put a LOT more emphasis on post season performance and outcome than PFT seems to put on it, and I'm cool with the disagreement. I do not share their perspectives on quantifying regular season stats as high as they seem to do.

I guess I should ask where is Matt Schaub since the regular season means so much to them. Dude had his third 4000+ passing season in 2012. Even won a playoff game.

No big deal. It's not my list.

7. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Its crazy how many 49ers are on that list. Damn that's a stacked team! If they don't win a Super Bowl in the next 5 years it'll be a colossal failure.

8. Fili

Fili All Pro

Matt Ryan over Tom Brady... eh

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Well... he didn't play well enough to get to the postseason. His team did. Even with the 4 play-off wins, I don't think he had a better season than Matt Schaub.

& I don't like Matt Schaub.

Flacco was bleh... in the play-offs. Really good in the Super Bowl. Nope, I don't agree with him being the Super Bowl MVP.. Jacoby Jones stole the momentum with his kickoff return for a TD & he scored on that big play... with the underthrown ball. Take those two plays away & SF wins the SuperBowl.

I get that you disagree & that's great. That's what makes discussions interesting. But I'm more "concerned" about that list when Flacco is on it & Matt Schaub isn't.

Hell, I'm more concerned that Dwayne Allen is on the list & Matt Schaub isn't.

10. Double Barrel

We could probably dissect just about every QBs post season games in a team sport. Watch NFL Films on a regular basis and you often see the margins between winning and losing are very slim at that level.

But saying Joe Flacco had "bleh" playoff performance is just out of touch, man.

Zero picks and 11 TDs in four post season wins. Dude had a fantastic post season performance by anyone's standards. It will most likely go down as his best ever. I wish we would see the same from Schaub. We could only be so lucky, y'know?

I'm far from a Flacco fan, but I am a fan of the NFL in general. I love seeing performances like that, even with a team I might dislike. But I have no problem in agreeing to disagree, especially about something so superficially trivial.

I think PFT's list is a lot of bias, both for and against. No Schaub, but Big Ben gets no. 70?? PFT seems to quantify everything with stats and percentages. But, it's their list, so doesn't bother me a bit. Just like I could not care less about Rolling Stone's Top 100 Albums of All Time or Guitar World's 100 Greatest Guitarists, it's all opinion based on some arbitrary set of rules. Take it as the opinions that these lists represent and with a grain of salt.

NitroGSXR likes this.
  11. Playoffs

Flacco was excellent in the playoffs, rated equal to Matt Ryan by PFF just ahead of Kaepernick.

And I'd give your left nut for Dwayne Allen.

12. RazorOye

RazorOye Ayo

agreed...

and I'd take the guy at number 79 over Big Ben and a lot of other QBs ranked ahead of him

13. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

After watching just how bad he was against the Texans, I have no problem seeing Joe Flacco at the bottom of a top 100.

14. eriadoc

eriadoc Texan-American

Yeah, I don't get that at all. If you have a QB that threw for over 5000 yards (for the 3rd time, no less) and 43 TDs rated #79, you kind of suck at rating players.

15. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

Had no idea Muhammad Wilkerson had that good of a year last year.

Also pretty shocking that Spiller is the second best RB in the league.

16. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Have you guys seen this?

PFF Top 101

Jj Watt is number 1,
    Andre is 9
    Duane Brown 13
    Antonio Smifff is 72

No Myers, Schaub, or Foster.

17. paycheck71

paycheck71 Hall of Fame

18. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I guess y'all did see it......

& apparently so did I.

:embarrass:

19. tru80texan

tru80texan Veteran

I think the biggest snub is Foster.

Schaub...well...we all know what happened there.:deadhorse:

Myers is a ZBS guy & it seems he is being overlooked based in it. Some may say the same about Foster, but I have my doubts that he could not be highly productive in other schemes.

20. Marshall

Marshall Not pretty, but ALIVE!

If Arian Foster isn't on the list, it is suspect at best and ridiculous to me.

thunderkyss likes this.