[ProFootballFocus] Texans - #2 OL in 2010

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Texans34Life, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Texans34Life

Texans34Life I BLEED TEXANS!

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/13/2010-offensive-line-rankings-–-part-2/

2. Houston Texans (2009 Rank: 13th)

Run Rank 3rd, Pass Rank 4th, Penalties Rank 4th

How much did this line improve? Every one of them scored a positive grade and they were particularly strong with their run blocking (the unsung heroes in Arian Foster’s breakout campaign). If there’s a complaint it’s that both tackles are prone to getting beaten in pass protection.

Best Player: Surprising as it may seem, Chris Myers is right up there with Mangold and Birk as one of the best run blocking centers in the league.

Biggest Concern: After three years in the league, Duane Brown may be competent, but he’s not good enough to deal with the top edge rushers one-on-one.

2. 2slik4u

2slik4u All Pro

What an unbelieveable(sp) turnaround.

3. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Chris Meyers played well last year but I want to see that performance again before he's talked about as being one of the best in the league.

4. El Tejano

El Tejano Hall of Fame

Gotta resign Rashod Butler.

5. powda

powda Hall of Fame

John Benton and Rick Dennison did an outstanding job last year. It helps that Foster had such great vision.

I used to be in the crowd that wanted Meyers replaced ,but he really has up'ed his game. He's still on the light side and can get handled by bigger defensive linemen ,but he looks more technically sound. His mobility to the 2nd and 3rd level really helped break some runs last year. He was 20 yards or more past the line of scrimmage on a LOT of running plays. He played angry.

Wade Smith was sloppy as hell his first year but really cleaned it up this past year. Far fewer blown assignments and penalties.

Caldwell shared time with Brisell. He (Caldwell) had good and bad moments and the talent is there. He should be more consitent this year.

Winston and Brown can both be beat outside by speed but overall they are respectible pass blockers and better then average run blockers.

We should definetly retain Butler. We groomed him for a few years and saw a glimpse of the payoff finally this year. Gotta have a quality swing tackle.

We have the best screen pass offensive line in the NFL. They struggle against 3-4 defensive linemen at times but overall I was impressed with their performance last year. We will have a quality running game again this year due in part to them...

6. gary

gary Hall of Fame

Butler does not want to stay here.

7. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

2010 was Wade Smith's first year with the Texans.

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/roster/Wade-Smith/cf108f70-f0fe-40e1-a146-f56b34ae36c5

8. powda

powda Hall of Fame

9. drs23

drs23 Veteran

No more VIP Suite so back to the recliner
  10. powda

powda Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

Chilllllllaxxxx people. Its been a long day. I'm not able to dedicate the appropriate amount of time to my post thanks to this "job thing" I have to go to...

11. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Kubes and some Myers apologists had said he had been playing on a high ankle sprain the previous 2 years. They say last year is what he really is. I am with you. He needs another couple of seasons before I will feel comfortable.

I thought Smith was great. He was brought in as the key FA and he delivered pretty well overall. Poor preseaon but solid regular season. Well worth the money.

Disappointed with Caldwell. He has not taken the starting spot from Brisel. I thought Caldwell would be starting in his second year and not looking back. Hasn't lived up to my expectations.

Winston and solid are above average. They can hold their own against the solid to good DEs but struggle against the elite ends/OLBs like Freeny and Ware, but then again, so do the elite tackles. They are good enough to win with.

12. gary

gary Hall of Fame

I think the OL is finally good enough to win with overall but I just hope they stay good enough until the rest of the team gets better.

13. powda

powda Hall of Fame

If our defense had'nt been do dreadfull I think more people might be paying attention to how much our running game improved. At times the line was downright domminant. It was fun to watch.

14. ArlingtonTexan

What's a "job thing"? :hurryup::jk:

15. gary

gary Hall of Fame

They are all in the prime of their careers so the time is now to win.

16. False Start

False Start On # 69

I think they deserve the ranking, I didn't do too much bitchin about the O-Line last season... so that meant they were doing their job. With Arian's great season that helped a lot. :cool:

17. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

It is a very good OLine, so why don't any of them get a Pro-Bowl spot ?

18. ArlingtonTexan

I don't think individually any of them dominate the line of scrimmage, but work well together as a unit. The classic, whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

19. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

Part of it is that it has also only been a year. OL is one of those positions that people continue to vote over and over based on reputation.

Look at the AFC 2011 OL:
    OT: Jake Long, Joe Thomas, DBrick, Matt Light
    OG: Logan Mankins, Brian Waters, Kris Dielman
    C: Nick mangold, Maurkice Pouncey, Jeff Saturday, Alex Mack

OT: Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Joe Thomas, DBrick
    OG: Logan Mankins, Alan Faneca, Kris Dielman
    C: Nick mangold, Jeff Saturday, Kevin Mawae.

OT:Joe Thomas, Jason Peters, Michael Roos, Jake Long
    OG: Alan Faneca, Kris Dielman, Brian Waters
    C: Kevin Mawae, Nick Mangold, Casey Weigmann

OT:Joe Thomas, Jason Peters, Matt Light, Jonathan Ogden, Macus McNeill
    OG: Alan Faneca, Kris Dielman, Logan Mankins
    C: Jeff Saturday, Dan Koppen

OT:Matt Light, Jonathan Ogden, Macus McNeill, Willie Anderson, Tarik Glenn
    OG: Alan Faneca, Will Shields, Brian Waters
    C: Jeff Saturday, Nick Hardwick

OT:Jonathan Ogden, Willie Anderson, Willie Roaf, Tarik Glenn
    OG: Alan Faneca, Will Shields, Brian Waters
    C: Jeff Saturday, Jeff hartings

Notice how many players appear on that list multiple times? Once you are seen as an established Probowler, you generally make multiple appearances. But to get there, it generally takes time for people to notice you. You gotta play well over a couple of seasons and be on a winning team that gets attention.

Conversely, you could be a first round pick and play well. Then people will notice you right away.

20. badboy

badboy Site Contributor

I'm hoping the defense can undergo a similar improvement. Basic sound play from line and a big time player like Foster on the D (Asomugha) could really move us towards that Super Bowl thinggy.