ProFootballFocus, ReFocused -- Cinncinnati@Houston

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Playoffs, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

ReFo: Bengals @ Texans, AFC Wild Card
    Khaled Elsayed | 2013/01/06

read more: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/06/refo-bengals-texans-afc-wild-card/

2. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

That's my favorite Line of the whole article. "Houston getting back to doing what they do well - run the ball & put the QB under pressure."

That's Houston Texans football. That's Gary-ball. That's our only shot to win next week, our only shot to win it all.

We did not play well enough to beat the Patriots. But that game was a statement game, "We're Back!!"

3. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Agreed. I just wish Tate would suddenly come back to his effective style he had last year. If Tate could pound the ball like last year, it would be hard to beat the Texans.

4. noxiousdog

noxiousdog All Pro

I think Tate has really poor vision. When the holes were big enough to drive trucks through, he had no choice but to find them. This year? Not so much.

You'll notice that they don't run as much inside with Tate. It's almost all tosses and sweeps giving him no options of where to run.

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think Tate's been hurt all year. Even when they said he was healthy.... he wasn't & isn't.

6. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

If Tate's going to continue to be a non-factor, I wouldn't mind seeing a few touches going to Forsett.

Hard to get Foster out of the lineup, though.

7. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

The Texans missed (eight) tackles. Wow that scares me.

8. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

You can say it's a good sign, but once we start finishing in the RZ, we will then truly be back. Especially if we start causing defensive turnovers again.

9. TejasTom

TejasTom Heisenwatt

The Texans’ quarterback looked tentative at best and was rarely prepared to challenge the Bengals’ secondary with anything meaningful. Only three times did he throw the ball over 10 yards in the air...

Pitiful.

10. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

This is a mid October 2012 piece from ADVANCEDNFLSTATS.COM that could explain why we can have a great RB, but still struggle to look like a winning team......or, for that matter, consistently win against higher competition, without having a passing game that is not reliable beyond 10 yards.

11. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

His graphs don't support either of his assertions.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Well.... they show you are less likely to pick up a first down if you cant gain a yard.

13. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Our pass/run ratio on first down this year in the first half is 138/113

The Pats is at 146/110

The Broncos is at 124/130

So basically, the Broncos are in deep shzzz. :toropalm:

14. Fred

Fred All Pro

So in 2000 teams that ran the on 3rd down picked up the 1st down more than 60% of the time? I call BS on that data point.

15. Fred

Fred All Pro

On second thought this could be possible. If Kubiak was not calling plays that year, maybe the entire league only ran the ball 8 times on third and 10, and due to the susprise factor 5 of the runs went for a first down. But throw in about 50 Kubiak draw plays and I think the percentage drops.

16. CloakNNNdagger

You have to go deeper into the numbers to explain why the patterns may not follow success.......like the efficiency of the QB. Like a QB that has a problem in general throwing completed passes past the 10 yd mark.

Brady 34 TDs 8 INTs
    Peyton 37 TDs 11 INTs

Schaub 22 TDs 12 INTs

17. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Doc... you know this is not a problem Schaub has had throughout his career. Some are making it sound like he is David Carr or something.

Schaub's numbers beyond 10 yards are as good as anyone in the league & has been throughout his career.

The only reason Schaub hasn't had the winning numbers those guys have had is the same reason Andre hasn't.

18. CloakNNNdagger

He is NOT David Carr. It is a problem that he's had this year.

I'm going to post this piece on 2012 QB performances that just came out by FOOTBALLOUTSIDERS. And pay special attention to DYAR (defense-adjusted yards above replacement) and DVOA (defensive-adjusted value over average). And look at where Brady and Peyton sit vs Schaub.

19. 76Texan

76Texan Hall of Fame

Doc, I was not trying to compare QBs; that was why I used team names.

According to Brian Burke, his theory is that running on first down is bad strategy.

I show that the Texans passed more on first down in the first half than the Broncos so that theory implies that the Texans followed the good strategy and not the other way around.

20. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I think that chart says exactly what I've been saying about Matt Schaub for a few years now. They have him middle of the pack in total value & on a per play basis.

I'd like to see what Peyton's numbers looked like when the Edge was tearing it up in Indy. Partly because Matt hasn't been asked to do so much the last couple of years.

& I get that.

But every now & then, I'd like to see that 2009 Matt Schaub. That guy was ranked 6th by FO. Behind Brady, Rivers, Manning,Brees, & Favre.

Ahead of Romo, Roethlisberger, Rogers, Manning, & Warner.