ProFootballFocus, ReFocused -- Buffalo@Houston

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Playoffs, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

ReFo: Bills @ Texans, Week 9

2. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

Arian Foster gained 111 yards on the ground, despite not breaking any tackles, with only 26 of his rushing yards coming after initial contact

I have been noticing Foster seems to go down (or concede the tackle) automatically this years compared to years past running style. Never really see him pumping his knees or making a second effort. Plus he runs out of bounds ever chance he gets. I know he is caring a huge work load possibly 400 carries this year. Do you think with the new contract he has began to think of his longevity.

3. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

My opinion is Arian focuses on slipping "big" hits to protect his body so he can live to play next week & into the playoffs. I think it's a skill that maximizes his usefulness to the team.

4. Dutchrudder

Dutchrudder COOL BEANS!

I think it might have to do with fumbles. Here are his rushing stats over the years:

2010: 16 games, 327 carries, 1616 yards, 4.9 ypc, 16 TDs, 89 First downs, 3 fumbles, 2 fumbles lost
    2011: 13 games, 278 carries, 1,224 yards, 4.4 ypc, 10 TDs, 58 First Downs, 4 Fumbles, 2 Fumbles Lost (he had 1 fumble lost on a reception too)
    2012: 8 games, 192 carries, 770 yards, 4.0 ypc, 10 TDs, 42 First Downs, 0 Fumbles

The Texans have been exceptional this year with regard to turnovers, +6 so far this year. Foster had a history of fumbling the ball in college at Tennessee, and he did have a few over the past few years, but this change in style or strategy (however you want to look at it) appears to benefit the team more than those few extra yards he may get. Call me crazy if you wish, but I think this is part of Kubiak's strategy to maintain ball control throughout the game, and keep Arian's confidence up.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12497/arian-foster

5. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

If it ain't broke don't fix it. I see what your saying and agree if it's a strategy it is working.

6. DexmanC

DexmanC Hall of Fame

I concur. I never saw Barry Sanders take any crushing hits, and Marvin Harrison
    was notorious for getting his yards and getting down/out of bounds. Arian
    knows he's gonna be the bellcow, and he's smart to protect himself AND
    help the team win.

7. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Subscribed Contributor

He also had the flu last Sunday.

8. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

I don't know if he is thinking about that specifically. I have posted this before and they are physically different RB's but watch how Emmitt slips and slides contact and then often runs through it. Link

Something I have talked to Vinny about on several occasions - watch, Emmitt almost constantly carried the ball in his left hand. His right hand was fighting off contact, balancing or coming in at the last second being a second hand on the ball. Foster will never be Barry Sanders. He just isn't that RB. He could learn some things from Emmitt although he won't be exactly him either.

9. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

I know I'm probably jinxing it....... but you probably know what I'm thinking.

Don't want to say it, not till Monday anyway.

10. BigBull17

BigBull17 Hall of Fame

I think its more this than content over being paid.

11. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

Foster had the flu. I'm sure that contributed to his average performance.

I think the issue this year relates to the offensive line changes... I'm not blaming the offensive line, because it is clear that Foster has sometimes been late with his cutback or made a misread on a cut that ended up limit the play's potential. I think he is still getting on the same page with those guys on the right side... knowing what to expect from them and getting the timing down. Remember, our rushing offensive is all about timing and expectations. Foster is still learning how Jones and Newton read and react to each situation. I think it will continue to improve with repititions.