ProfootballFocus Grades the Texans Offensive Players

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by CloakNNNdagger, Dec 7, 2013.

1. CloakNNNdagger

CloakNNNdagger Site Contributor

Some very interesting numbers, indeed.

TexansFTW, Exascor and WolverineFan like this.
  2. Exascor

Exascor Hall of Fame

It's sad because fans could see most of this. Why Kubiak couldn't see that Harris should have been full time starter I'll never know.

The only shocker for me is Graham. I thought he was solid but a step down from Dreeson and 3 steps down from Daniels. You can't see pass routes well on TV and I just don't pay a lot of attention to our TEs in run blocking - they are just like our WRs there IMO. Pass blocking is something I've never felt any of our TEs did well so I blamed that on the Kubiak system. They never seem to chip before releasing.

Nice find Doc.

3. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

Where's Brooks ?

4. ArlingtonTexan

ArlingtonTexan Moderator Staff Member

5. CloakNNNdagger

He has had 41 recpetions out of 81 targets (50.5% catch rate). He has dropped 3 passes (2 in critical passing situations). He has logged 4.4 YAC and fumbled twice, allowed 1 QB sack and 4 QB hurries. He managed only one commendable stat........a high rating in the middle deep area of the field.

6. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Yeah, this is a lot of what we all already see. I give Hopkins and Keenum some slack due to rookie/first-time-starter status but the thing with Newton we've all known forever. The RT situation with Newton is very reminiscent of the position under Capers regime where they kept throwing guys out there who just couldn't do it over and over again.

Graham is a big disappointment. He's a big drop off from Daniels and Dreeson. Very inconsistent. It is strange how Kubiak always placed such a premium on blocking in his WR's but then stocked up in TE's who can't block worth a damn.

7. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I think we're getting a better view outside the fish bowl and now it makes sense .

8. aussie_texan

aussie_texan Hall of Fame

i have been calling for an upgrade at TE for a while now. been preaching it over in the college football section saying we need to draft a TE within the first 3 rounds.
    Its not an obvious need but there are some legitimate play makers coming out in the draft and we need to take one to solidify this offence for many years.

offensively its QB, RT, LG and TE has our needs

9. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Link?

10. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

Major rep for this post.

I've been calling for Harris to start over Newton for a long time. His run blocking is not as impactful (both good and bad) but his pass protection is so much better. This is yet another case of Kubiak sticking with "his guy" to try and prove the world wrong. Take the ego out of it and just play the best players.

11. redwhiteblue

redwhiteblue Veteran

kubiak said he didn't want to play harris at RT because if he got hurt they would have no back up for duane brown

12. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

Personally, Harris always worried me when he was in there because Harris has had so many injuries over the years. I really thought his career was over after that back thing.

13. Playoffs

Yeah, but he had no RT.... :fingergun:

14. CloakNNNdagger

15. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Do PFF's rankings really mean anything if they have Brooks listed as a Tackle? I would say their analysis is accurate though. He'll get better in pass pro as his technique improves and he gets better talent next to him.

16. Scooter

Scooter Funky

i dont like this one. a lot of the sacks and pressure up the middle need to go to myers. i focused on him a bit more this last game and several times he'd be sitting alone in the middle and then shift the line AWAY from the blitz. his line calls are a part of the reason teams are able to blitz up the middle so effectively - he'll double team away from the blitz and leave a guard against 2 rushers.

likewise in the run game, it's easy for an offensive linemen to look good running when they get to go after linebackers. myers rarely has any solo plays against defensive linemen that i notice, usually chipping at most and moving to the second level.

i could look like an all-pro if all i had to do was put a hand on defenders that my guards have already occupied.

17. Brisco_County

Brisco_County Texans worthy

Great post, Scooter.

And great find, CnD. I'm fully convinced that McNair (and Smith by proxy) intends to draft Jake Matthews. Not only does it address our biggest need, but bringing the Matthews family back to Houston further legitimizes the club among fans. You can't discount the marketing value of a draft pick sometimes. It's true that you don't take an RT that high, but they'll move him to LT in a year or two.

18. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

If he was all that interested in bringing the Matthews family back he would have promoted Bruce to OL coach. Instead he is up in TN.

A year or two is way too soon on Brown.

19. Playoffs

This is not content from ProFootballFocus.

Someone took their ratings and the added their own text to it. Hence the mistakes.

PFF is a little more professional than what's posted above. [​IMG]

20. Texn4life

Texn4life Hall of Fame

Gotcha........ I thought that was a little strange.