ProFootballFocus' 2013 Defensive Player Of the Year is...

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Playoffs, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Playoffs

Playoffs Subscribed Contributor

Analysis Notebook: DPOY Special

Sam Monson | January 1, 2014

read the full article here: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/01/01/analysis-notebook-dpoy-special/

I agree. An amazing season worthy of the award many aren't even considering him for. :logo:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico Pro BS'er

I agree JJ is the most dominant defensive player, but I think Richard Sherman wins the award.

3. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Made up awards aside, J.J.Watt is the reason O'Brien should have no problem luring a top DC to Houston.

4. rolyat93

rolyat93 Veteran

Ray Horton please!:d:

5. TheMatrix31

TheMatrix31 Hall of Fame

Well duh, of course it's JJ Watt. Just cuz the team sucked doesn't mean JJ Watt didn't have another unfathomably great year.

6. Scooter

Scooter Funky

had we any semblance of an outside rush, JJ's number's would be just as eye popping as last year's. instead it was again he and antonio doing 90% of the work, but this year teams were prepared and threw the house at watt (and he STILL made his plays). honestly this defense is a bottom 1/3rd unit without those two players, mostly because of epically bad linebacker play (and ed reed blowing up the lockerroom and back half). it's a bit mind boggling that you can have such a once in a lifetime player, along with a very very good side kick, and nobody around them can make a play.

this is why i'd like to see us move to a 4-3. get another guy inside to steal some of the blocks away from watt. he has more than enough burst to get around the edge, and his bull rush as well as inside moves are lethal anywhere. somebody's going to pay the ninja even at his age, but if they dont i'd see if i could bring him back to play DT beside watt and draft a pass rusher for the other side.

at this pace, it will be a crime against humanity if Watt doesnt win the league MVP award.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  7. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

People can knock Wade all the want, but I doubt that Watt is who he is today without Wade ? The next DC might be a 4-3 guy who moves Watt inside and leaves him there, whereas Wade had Watt rushing the passer from all over the place to include the edge even though he was playing in a 3-4 scheme as a down lineman.

8. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I doubt Wade is the only DC that can use Watt's talents.

And it doesn't matter if Watt is the best defensive player ever if the scheme of the defense is stale.

9. Scooter

Scooter Funky

honestly i believe wade's system holds watt back. because of his position, watt is subject to the scheme and weak players outside. all too often JJ sets up a move that conflicts with the players around him. you see it as watt starts inside and moves outside only to be in the same spot as reed, and becomes double/triple teamed by reed's blocker - as reed does absolutely nothing. someone saw the same and this is why we saw watt outside more often in our nickel packages.

this is why i'd like to see watt moved to a 4-3 defensive end. he'd be given much more space to penetrate and disrupt, without teammates and scheme being a hindrance.

of course that being said, wade is a heck of a teacher and has helped watt develop his skill and technique. i dont think that has any bearing on watt's future however.

10. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

You're still mad 'cause I said snakes were stupid aren't you DB ? I can tell.

Double Barrel likes this.
  11. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

That's silly ! He was the DPOY last year & an all-Pro, and the least he'll be this year is an all-Pro. Watt owes his success and fame to Wade more than anybody else besides himself of course.
    Watt's best position is as a strongside 4-3 DE which is essentially what he's been for Wade who runs a 3-4 in name only.
    Another coach coming in here may bury Watt on the inside of a traditional 4-3, and Watt will dislike that more than anybody.

12. DBCooper

DBCooper Outlaw

I forgot that was you, lol

13. IlliniJen

IlliniJen Hall of Fame

You heard it here first. JJ is JJ because of Wade.

Insert millions of facepalms here.

disaacks3 likes this.
  14. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

"Watt owes his success and fame to Wade more than anybody else besides himself of course."

15. WolverineFan

WolverineFan Hall of Fame

That would be awesome. Cannot believe the Browns are basically forcing him out after the job he did this year.

16. Playoffs

JJ's offseason...

17. Playoffs

One-on-One With J.J. Watt- Part 1

There was one goal... to get better.

There's a lot of optimism, there's a lot of energy and excitement about what we're doing now.