Problem with Vince Young?

Discussion in 'College Football & the NFL Draft' started by Texans>Colts, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Texans>Colts

Texans>Colts Veteran

i no this guy is a tremendous athlete who i respect a whole lot. I also he can run and pass the ball very well, but i have watched tapes of him and i saw he threw sidearm. I think that might b a problem in the NFL. The big D-linemen can get their hands up and knock it down at the line. Any1 think this is a problem?

2. CITY CAT

CITY CAT Veteran

David Carr throws side arm. Former league MVP Rich Gannon also through side arm. So while it is not universal, it can be successfull.

3. Caesar

Caesar Veteran

Dan Marino didn't have many problems with it.

4. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Also, VY is 6'5. Of all the problems with drafting VY, which we wont do, this is the most overrated one...

5. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Bret Favre throws side arm, under arm, back armed, et. al....

6. axman40

axman40 Hall of Fame

I once saw S. Jergensen throw a pass behind his back and complete the throw! I do not care how it gets there as long as it is complete.

:redtowel:

7. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

hell, Jake Plummer throws left-handed.

8. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

his sidearm motion restricts the power he can put behind a pass. it's one thing like favre to throw sidearm when the situation calls for it, but when he needs to rail a ball in there, he throws a perfect overhand pass. young doesn't have the zip with the sidearm

9. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

he doesn't throw sidearm

10. bigTEXan8

bigTEXan8 All Pro

You know, I never really broken down his throwing motion that way. But now that you mentiion it, I totally see what you are saying. It does restrict the amount of get-up you can throw the ball with.

11. Mr. White

Mr. White H-Town Beatdown

Anyone who watched VY this year knows he is capable of throwing long (30+ yard) bombs. Not sure how much "zip" he has on his motion really matters.

12. kastofsna

kastofsna Hall of Fame

except when he's throwing a football

[​IMG]

looks sidearm to me
    first of all, his deep passes flutter a ton. if not for the safeties always playing the run, he'd have more passes picked off. his big receivers can outplay the opposition's corners, so he just lobs the ball up there and lets his WR's make the play. secondly, that has nothing to do with arm strength. i'm talking of the throwing the darts to the sideline, or on a quick strike to the first down marker on 3rd down, etc. he's struggled a lot with that, and his throwing motion is probably to blame for that mostly

13. DaveCarr@andrejohnson.net

DaveCarr@andrejohnson.net Rookie

That is why they are thinking of lienart instead.

14. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

who is they?? Texans already have a better Lienhart. We want Vince, because he adds something to the team we don't have, which we thing will help us win games. I'm not discounting his sidearm, or ignoring it. But I believe Vince is more capable than most to work on and fix things like this. Even though, as it was pointed out, that many a QBs have had succesful careers with the problem.

15. stevo3883

stevo3883 All Pro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-its a lot like Carr's release angle

16. TexansNeedRBin05

TexansNeedRBin05 Veteran

Not sure if anyone notices but he runs just upright as you can get but he doesn't get tackled? Not sure how it works in the NCAA but I doubt it will work in the NFL. 6'5 running high=knee injury.

17. txlonghorn14

txlonghorn14 Rookie

i think he'll be able to adjust to whatever is facing him. i look at the sidearm throw as a trademark.

18. TheOgre

TheOgre Hall of Fame

As does Steve Young, Boomer Esiason (I think), Mark Brunell, and Michael Vick. You have a problem with us lefties? I put a left-handed curse upon you stevo. :eek:

19. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

Y'know it's obviously not ideal to throw 3/4 or sidearm, but sometimes unorthodox deliveries can help, especially if they are quick or are tough for defenses to anticipate/read. The thought is that he'll get some balls batted down and he'll certainly get more batted down than if he threw over the top, but he's 6'5" and does a lot of throwing on the move, so I don't see it being a huge problem. We saw how Cutler got 2 in a row batted down with his "perfect delivery" in the Senior Bowl (BTW, how can a guy be that cocky after a 6-19 performance).

It might not be much of a problem at all, Jerry Gray said in a McClain article that to stop Vince he would probably have his DE's take wider angles to the QB so as not to get Frostee Ruckerized. That means passing lanes are gonna be a little wider than on average. I'm not saying everybody is gonna do this, but it gives you an idea how his running ability makes throwing the ball a little easier for him.

20. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

I'm of the opinion that a QB can do what he wants as long as he gets the job done. Look at Bernie Kosar or some others. Everyone trys to fit balls to guys best they know how. If they are successful, then so be it. If every QB needed the perfect motion and arm strength then Ryan Leaf would have 5 SBs.