... probably not firing Kubiak

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by texanchris, Dec 16, 2010.

1. texanchris

texanchris Veteran

2. Section516

Section516 Warrior

McNair was asked if all the positive remarks from other owners would have an effect on Texans coach Gary Kubiak's future with the team.

"I think what it does, it's sort of an affirmation that we're on the right track," McNair said. "Clearly, we have to do better, because what we've done wasn't good enough. But (it affirms) that we're on the right track, and I've felt that way all along.

"We'll review everything at the end of the year, and will we make some changes? I'm sure we will make some -- we'll see some things that need to be improved. But we're very, very close to having the kind of team I think that we can all be proud of, and we just have to keep working hard and push it over the top. I think we're close."

The Texans have set an NFL record this season by becoming the first team in league history to come back from a deficit of at least 14 points to take the lead or tie, only to end up losing, in four games.

Each of those four losses has come during a 1-6 skid that has dropped the Texans' record from 4-2 to 5-8, which has all but ended their hopes of making the playoffs for the first time in team history.

"It's a killer," McNair said. "I hurt more than anybody. To see that we're so close to being where we want to be and then to be denied is just very disheartening. But you know, it's like life. I mean, does everything work out in your life? I doubt it. You don't quit, do you? No, you just suck it up and go on. And that's what you have to do. That's one reason this game is such a great reflection of life. It's what we face every day. And our fans, I feel their frustration and what have you. I get letters. I write them all back and tell them, 'Hey, I'm just as frustrated as you are.' But nobody wants to win more than I do, or Gary. I'll tell you that."

3. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Well, there it is.

Thanks, Bob. No more season tickets for me. I'm done. Flat-screen tv's are too cheap for all of this.

I give up.

Lucky likes this.
  4. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

I'm too slow

5. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

If we go back to Suckville next year, I think I will sit the season out. Just freaking unbelievable. Yeah Mr. McNair maybe the Texans will make it to the playoff before you kick the bucket with your lukewarm coach. Then again maybe not. Beam me up Scotty. Energize!

6. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Wouldn't surprise me if Kubiak is retained.

7. Pantherstang84

Pantherstang84 @rolisrgti06

Need about 68,998 more to follow suit or it will be pointless. Your Houston Texans: Lukewarm since 2006.

8. JB

JB Old Curmudgeon

For all who decide you are not going to renew your season tickets, do you have PSL's? Will you lose your PSL if you don't renew?

9. Rey

Rey Guest

Welp...There it is....

10. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

Why not flood the guy with letters. Where do you write him?

11. Rey

Rey Guest

I must say, I am not terribly, terribly upset....

I have said all along that I think Kubiak can be a good head coach...I just thought his time here had passed....

Hopefully, we make some changes as far as defensive coaches go, and hopefully Kubiak has no input to that at all...

12. gafftop

gafftop Hall of Fame

Looking back at post done in October of last year.

"All said I still think it is a coin flip on whether I think it would be better to get rid of him and start over. The rest of the season will decide this. I have not given up on him, but he surely has not won me over this season. I was pro Kubiak at beginning of season but now I am ambivalent. Big questions
    1) Inability to get team ready to play. Both beginning of season against Jets and it seems at the beginning of each game. Can he motivate?
    2) Are the players tired of his style? Have they bought into his idea for the team? Are the players tired of Smith? Are they really giving 100%. I know some players are , but you really need all the players to give their all, especially when you are almost there like the Texans are.
    3) Overall game plans and play selection on offense.
    4) Evaluation and usage of the players, strengths and weaknesses of the team as a whole and getting the best outcome you can get based on them.
    But really who wants to hear any more. I'm DONE. "

Not a damn thing has changed. I don't think Kubiak gets it.

13. houstonspartan

houstonspartan Hall of Fame

Yes, I have a PSL. Yes, I will lose it.

No, I don't care. I'm tired.

14. Hookem Horns

Hookem Horns That Server Guy Staff Member

[​IMG]

15. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

Fans are really really going to groan a lot this year if, Bush isn't fired and a hotshot (read: Not an Internal Promotion) DC isn't hired. I can't imagine what opening day would look like (knock on wood) if Bush is the DC again this year.

16. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Told y'all in that cowher thread...Kubiak ain't going nowhere.

17. IDEXAN

IDEXAN Hall of Fame

""I think what it does, it's sort of an affirmation that we're on the right track," McNair said."
    &&
    "We're on the right track," McNair said. Huh ? "Right track" ? What "right track" ? I don't see a "right track" ? Anybody see a "right track" ?

18. TexansSeminole

TexansSeminole Hall of Fame

I'll probably lose the majority of my interest in this team if we keep Kubiak and continue what we have been doing. I'll still watch the team, but I can't keep following a team on a daily basis that refuses to help themselves and continues down a path of mediocrity.

I don't think McNair understands that fan support comes and goes. He may be blinded by the ticket sales, but I promise you if he keeps this up people will migrate away from the team. While I will still watch the games, there are many people who will quit watching altogether.

19. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Dallas Frog

This is the sad part about his statements

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/a...practice/22ecbd97-0394-46bc-863b-49f0af6d4d59

Basically impressed and happy because of a great failed comeback. What a joke. That is the mentality with him and the team. Cheering for .500. Celebrating 9-7. Impressed with a comeback that is a loss. For a guy who really wants to pull for this team it is pure frustration.

20. Corrosion

Corrosion Idealist

For everyone who gives up their PSL's and season tickets ..... there will be a couple dozen waiting to purchase them.

You guy's need to look at the positives , no they may not be in the WL column but I agree with McNair , this team is real close to being real good for an extended stretch.
    They do everything well accept stop the pass (and win) , once they solve that they will fulfill those expectations.

Dont throw the baby out with the bath water.

Cjeremy635 likes this.