Pro Bowl too risky?

Discussion in 'The National Football League' started by A-B, Feb 11, 2007.

1. A-B

A-B Guest

I just saw the Brees highlight on ESPN. He is now going to spend atleast the 1st 2 months of the off-season recovering from a dislocated elbow. We as Texans fans know how much we missed Mathis this season from an injury he received in last years Pro-Bowl. Do yall think the Pro-Bowl is really necessary? I like the recognition that players get on the individual level, but we lost an important player for the season and Brees has an injury that could've been avoided the same as Mathis had they not been in the Pro-Bowl.

2. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

I did'nt see it .... which arm did he hurt ?

3. Honoring Earl 34

Honoring Earl 34 Hey Koolaid

That just sounds painful .

4. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

Would you prefer they play flag-football??

Thats why they play it at the end of the year. Injuries are part of the game. There's no blitzing, so that means its 5 o-lineman vs 4 d-lineman the whole game. Would'nt be surprised if the NFL banned sacks in the pro-bowl from now on....

5. Trap_Star

Trap_Star SiteContributor

I thought Mathis fell off his bike or something like that....

6. powerfuldragon

powerfuldragon g'mornin to you

yeah i also thought that mathis went and roethlisbergered himself.

7. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

How could they have found out exactly where he hurt his foot months after it had happened? It's not like there would be any evidence to that conclusion.

8. the flash

the flash Rookie

There is no need for one since there is nothing that comes out of it. What is the point? Would you be okay if Andre would have gotten hurt and been out the rest of the next season because he played in the Pro Bowl? Im sorry but I would rather him skip the game and avoid injury so that he can have another great season next year. (Maybe we should send Carr to the Pro Bowl):stirpot:

9. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

I think the motorcycle accident just messed up his hands and had to be bandaged for awhile. That stuff didn't really keep him out.

As for the Pro Bowl, none of the players are forced to participate. If someone thinks its too risky I'm sure theres a long line of people behind them that would love to go in their place.

10. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

validation for my previously stated "Abolish The Pro Bowl" stance.

it's a meaningless game, played at 50%-75% effort. surely they don't need the extra 25K for losers and 40K to the winners???

11. ledzeppelin229

He decided to jump from the bike and go concrete surfing on his hands. Nothing really significant but I'm sure it took off a few layers of skin that had to be bandaged for a long time.

12. awtysst

awtysst Draft Guru

Personally i don't like the probowl and dotn watch it. I would rather see individual skills being tested. Like the lineman challange and punting and fg accuracy, QB throwing accuracy and things like that.

13. the flash

the flash Rookie

Another problem with the game is that some of players are giving a lot more than others which gets players hurt. For example, Brian Moorman, the Bills punter, got creamed by Sean Taylor when he ran for the first down. Im not saying that the guys shouldn't play 100% and that I didnt enjoy the hit, but that is a bit much. That could've been a major injury or concusion. No more Pro Bowls. (At least for the Texans)

14. bah007

bah007 Hall of Fame

Nobody is forced to participate.

Tom Brady was playing golf yesterday.

It's an honor to be named as one of the best players at your position in the NFL.

Honestly, I think less players get hurt in the Pro Bowl than in each pre-season game.

15. ledzeppelin229

I agree, since I think while the guys are working hard, other than Sean Taylor roiding out on Brian Moorman, most of the guys are playing pretty clean and trying not to do things that will get themselves or others hurt. Brees injury was just a random accident.

Which kind of brings me back to an above point...I know everyone likes the big hits, but is it really necessary, in a game that doesn't count, to try and kill the punter on a fake punt? I know he was fine and jumped back up, so that incident is a non-issue, but in the future?

16. The Pencil Neck

The Pencil Neck Subscribed Contributor

It looked nasty. I just saw a replay and you can see the bulge where the bone dislocated.

17. run-david-run

run-david-run Hall of Fame

Only differance is that these are the starts, which means it gets more press. In all honesty, its probably less dangerous then all the practices teams have before the season.

18. Silver Oak

Silver Oak Hall of Fame

Couldn't they just receive the award and distinction without having to play a meaningless game?

19. Dr. Toro

Dr. Toro All Pro

The problem as I see it with the Pro Bowl is that the best way to stay healthy is to play like you normally would on any Sunday. The moment you relax and try to turn a punt fake up the field is when you get killed by the next guy who can't "flip the switch off". Not to defend Taylor, but there were a number of big hits in that game aside from Moorman. A running back got absolutely swallowed by a DT, quarterbacks were getting sacked left and right, and Chad Johnson got lit up by Adrian Wilson. I'm sure there were more big hits... you're playing a football game with all the biggest, nastiest defensive players and offenses that think it's the NBA All-Star game. So we've got this dilemma with conflicting instincts to just take it easy and to play like you usually do.

Travis Minor almost lost a leg because of a stupid touch football game on sand, that I think isn't played anymore for that reason. They need to continue to examine ways to make the game safer, I don't see why liberal time rules like a running clock or 10 minute quarters aren't considered. I think getting rid of kickoffs and trying to work some of the returners in on offense would be a decent way to manage the risk as well. If they don't find better ways to ensure the safety, it will just turn into the NBA slam dunk contest, with 2nd tier players over time.

20. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

Why does Drew Brees have that big scratch on his face?