Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pro Bowl Players

LiveForTheGame

Waterboy
I think the Texans have more players that have a chance to make it to the Pro Bowl this year than in the past...maybe not as starters but at least make it. Who could go?

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
Walker & Glenn--they have been there and IMO they are not too old to go again.
Sharper
Payne
Stanley--outside chance if he keeps pegging them inside the 20
AJ--400 more yards and he would be the 4th most productive wr last year--longshot but not impossible.

Not going to make it IMO:
Carr--expect a lot of improvement but don't see him beating out Manning, McNair or Brady.
DD--If Tomlinson can rush for 1645 yards and catch 100 passes for another 725 yards and not make it, DD has a huge up hill battle.

LiveForTheGame

Waterboy
Yeah...I agree with what you said. Carr is good, but he isn't great, and there are some great quarterbacks, like you said, that he'd have to beat out. I don't think AJ is a long shot but it'll be tough for him to go.

infantrycak

Hall of Fame
For a little more perspective on the odds for AJ and DD:

There are 4 WR slots and 3 RB slots.

Last year AJ was the 6th most productive WR in the AFC--200 more yards would have put him into 4th (that really does look achievable), 300 more into 3rd and 400 more into 1st. The pro-bowl WR's appear to have been selected purely on yardage.

DD was the 11th most productive RB in the AFC--to break into the top 3 DD would have needed another 561 yards. The RB's selected were the 1st, 3rd and 5th on yardage. Holmes at 5 did set a new record for TD's. Taylor at 4th on yardage had two less TD's than DD. Still don't understand how Portis had less rushing yardage, less than half the receiving yards, only one more TD and still beat Tomlinson other than play-off team vs. horrible team. Anyway, even 2000 combined yards won't guarantee DD a pro-bowl berth.

keyfro

Veteran
IMO the afc is loaded with great runningbacks...Davis would have to have just a fantastic season in order to get voted in...recievers are another thing...i could see andre going...with manning and mcnair it'll be hard for carr to get a chance...glenn, walker, sharper, and maybe coleman if he's moved to FS...if he puts up another 7 int season as a FS i would say he's earned a spot on the pro bowl...and i don't want to see our punter going to the pro bowl...that'll mean we're punting too much

BigTex

Noob
That's right Sharper IMHO should have gone to the probowl last year. Seemed to me he had a good enough season to make it there what a rip :banana:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
It's not just the numbers, but the teams record that carries a lot of clout. Even then, it's about winning consistantly. Even with very good years, expect guys like Carr, AJ, & DD to miss a Pro Bowl early in their careers when their numbers suggest they should make it.

Ravens_52

Practice Squad
I hope Sharper has a good year and makes it to the Pro Bowl, i'd also like to see AJ there as well.

ledzeppelin229

Hall of Fame
One thing that will help is when we get a little more exposure on national tv and more attention from espn etc. The fact is people and the rest of the league just don't see much of the Texans yet and it will take some more popularity to beat out the fan favorites that annually make it.

TexanExile

A New Hope
Amen to that. So many times I find myself trying to convince sports fans on the East Coast to watch them....the sports bars down here that run NFL Sunday Ticket will ALWAYS pull the Texans game off their screens to add extra screens for "marquee" games. And even after the Dolphins got thwacked by the Texans, nobody in the local media had a CLUE who Domanick Davis was at ANY point in the season! National exposure will help tremendously.

Fiddy

All Pro
ledzeppelin269 said:
One thing that will help is when we get a little more exposure on national tv and more attention from espn etc. The fact is people and the rest of the league just don't see much of the Texans yet and it will take some more popularity to beat out the fan favorites that annually make it.
Like the fact they went to commercial everytime we picked. :mad:

rittenhouserobz said:
I think Sharper, Walker, Glenn, and Coleman on defense.
AJ on offense.
Stanley on ST.
I can see AJ, Stanley, and Sharper, but Walker and Glenn are two years removed from their last probowls.

LiveForTheGame

Waterboy
I don't think we have to have national coverage for our guys to get noticed. Isn't that what Sportcenter and the other sporting news shows are for...to show the highlights and good plays made during the games. National coverage would help, but if our guys make plays- they'll get noticed.

Stanley doesn't get the huge average needed to get elected to the Pro Bowl. Even though net average should be more important (which takes into accounts touchbacks and return yardage), the guys that get to the Pro Bowl are the ones who kick it deep.

El Tejano

Hall of Fame
I agree that I never want to see Stanley in the Pro Bowl because that means our offense is punting and I quite frankly would like to see our 3rd down conversions improved this year.

SBTexans08

Rookie
ledzeppelin269 said:

I stress this a lot as well. Maybe after this season we can get as much coverage as the other high profile teams around the league. Let's just hope that when that happens our players don't get arrogant, which I doubt.

Everyone seems to underestimate us now even if they do say we have a lot of potential. I think they just say that...this year they'll find out it's true! Hehe, I can't wait till the season starts to see how shocked the football world will be with the Texans this year!! :hyper:

Fiddy

All Pro
BornOrange said:
Stanley doesn't get the huge average needed to get elected to the Pro Bowl. Even though net average should be more important (which takes into accounts touchbacks and return yardage), the guys that get to the Pro Bowl are the ones who kick it deep.
Hentrich doesnt have a great leg either and he went. The reason I think he went is because he threw a couple of nice passes during the season (didnt he throw a TD) and also doubled as the kicker when their kicker got hurt.

TheOgre

All Pro
I think Glenn, Coleman, Sharper, Walker, and Stanley have a chance. A.J. could too, but I think he will be double-teamed a lot this year. I think Sharper has a great chance. It seems like a year after a guy is overlooked, they make it.

Blake

MMQB
If any Texans are going to be pro-bowlers, its going to be Davis, or a member of the secondary. Like Glenn, or Coleman. I doubt we even have a member go to the pro-bowl. Its a popularity game, and the Texans arent that popular.

SBTexans08

Rookie
DC_ROCK said:
If any Texans are going to be pro-bowlers, its going to be Davis, or a member of the secondary. Like Glenn, or Coleman. I doubt we even have a member go to the pro-bowl. Its a popularity game, and the Texans arent that popular.

That will change half way down the season or after. They'll be the talk of the town come next season!

Fiddy

All Pro
DC_ROCK said:
If any Texans are going to be pro-bowlers, its going to be Davis, or a member of the secondary.
Do we have another Davis that I dont know about????

Tomlinson
Jamal Lewis
Travis Henry/Willis McGahee
Ricky Williams
Corey Dillion
Priest Holmes
Fred Taylor

If DD has any chance of making the pro bowl, he better get that 2000 yards. And he better be happy that Portis got traded to the NFC.

scourge

Digression King
I'm going with Sharper, Robinson, and either R. Smith or Walker on defense
maybe AJ on offense...

the only reason I mention Robinson is that because he is a rookie he will have a ton of balls thrown his way and I'd like to think he'll be picking off more than a few... :jumpbanan

keyfro

Veteran
man i hope your right...that would be awesome if robinson was a rookie pro bowler...that would also show that we have earned the respect of the NFL with one of our rookies going to hawaii...having some of the prime time games on espn will help this season...we face green bay on espn and that should be like a mnf game to our guys...i have the most respect for farve but i'm hoping we pick every pass he throws off and return it for a TD

Doom Capers

Waterboy
If Stanley would have went to the pro bowl it would have been last year. Sharpers time has come and I think AJ deserves it too. his 2nd year and he is owning when Carr can get him the ball before being sacked.

Deadball

Practice Squad
LiveForTheGame said:
I think the Texans have more players that have a chance to make it to the Pro Bowl this year than in the past...maybe not as starters but at least make it. Who could go?
Like this means anything? You folks are just nutty. You've got the worst freaking team in the league (OK, maybe that's overstatement) and you're here today, after a miserable performance at home, talking about the Pro Bowl? Why don't we send Senor Cheerios? And someone actually thinks Carr's name should be brought up in a thread about the Pro Bowl? Lemme tell you, Carr's about the 20th best QB in the league, so he has a ways to go.

Deadball said:
Like this means anything? You folks are just nutty. You've got the worst freaking team in the league (OK, maybe that's overstatement) and you're here today, after a miserable performance at home, talking about the Pro Bowl? Why don't we send Senor Cheerios? And someone actually thinks Carr's name should be brought up in a thread about the Pro Bowl? Lemme tell you, Carr's about the 20th best QB in the league, so he has a ways to go.

HAHA since our team is SO bad why ya wasting ya time on such a BAD teams message board :loser and sorry buddy all this talk was EARLIER in the season cant ya see the dates posted :loser