Prime-time games next year

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by JCTexan, Jan 16, 2012.

1. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

How many prime-time games do you think we will have next year? I will say five. Two monday night games, two sunday night games and a Thanksgiving game against the Lions. The schedule:

Home: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, Buffalo Bills, Miami Dolphins, Baltimore Ravens, Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings

Away: Indianapolis Colts, Jacksonville Jaguars, Tennessee Titans, New England Patriots, New York Jets, Denver Broncos, Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions

2. srrono

srrono Hall of Fame

We play a lot of good teams so I can see any of the games I bolded as a primetime game especially the rematch with the Ravens.

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Hall of Fame

It would be great to have a Monday night game home at Reliant. Either Baltimore or Green Bay would be ideal choices, or even both of them.

4. gtexan02

gtexan02 Working?

Touch Schedule. We play 5 playoff teams from last season. Getting the division crown makes for a difficult year.

Plus the Bills, Dolphins, Jets, and Titans who are all good. And the Bears who would have been a playoff team (likely) if Cutler and Forte had not both gone down.

5. Speedy

Speedy Yeller Dweller

Isn't there a better than average chance that the Lions game is on Thanksgiving?

6. TexanSam

TexanSam Hall of Fame

I'm gonna guess we get 3 primetime games. One Sunday night game, one Monday night, and then the Thanksgiving game against Detroit.

You never know with the NFL though. I remember last year we looked at our schedule and thought it would be difficult and it turned out to be pretty easy.

7. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

I would say it's an extremely high possibility. The only other option for it is the Colts.

8. Doppelganger

Doppelganger None

I will say 2.

The reason is because while the Texans had a great year, there is very little fan base outside of Texas. Very few people outside of Texas care about the Texans, so a national Texans game may not deliver great ratings.
    The Texans need to be matched up with a team with a national following or who get a bunch of ESPN time, such as Green bay, New England, Jets, or Lions.

My guesses:
    1. MNF against Green Bay at home.
    2. Thanksgiving Day Turkey day game against Detroit.

9. Ryan

Ryan THIS YEAR

I think that has changed a bit though. The media all seemed to be really impressed with the Texans throughout the playoff run, and they know we'll be an exciting team to watch once we get our QB back and with Foster and AJ still on a dominant level.

ChampionTexan likes this.
  10. Jackie Chiles

Jackie Chiles Hall of Fame

We will get a Sunday nighter in there somewhere.

I'm looking at our schedule and after seeing what I saw on the field yesterday and really throughout our entire season I don't see any reason we can't improve on the 10 regular season wins we got this year. Outsiders and haters point to a weak schedule this season but we weren't just beating teams, we were annihilating them. That matters. Yeah there are some tough opponents on that list but guess what? We are just plain better than most of them.

11. Ktexan68

Ktexan68 Rookie

Hell, the Jags had like 4 I think and you can't tell me they have any sort of national following either. Not to mention, they werent a play off team.

12. Javi

Javi Rookie

all have potential

13. nero THE zero

nero THE zero Hall of Fame

It's all but certain.

14. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Why can't we have them all at noon on Sunday? Oh, that's right, we want to be seen by everyone yet we can't stand it when they say bad things about us. :lol:

But, in all seriousness, I really would prefer all noon Sunday games, except for Thanksgiving and Saturday games.

15. GuerillaBlack

GuerillaBlack Hall of Fame

I think Baltimore and New England will be on Sunday Night. Green Bay on Monday Night and then Detroit on Thanksgiving. We could have a couple of more late afternoon games, which are like mini-national games. Denver or Chicago probably.

Rumor has it that the Texans are creating ticket packages for the game Thanksgiving g game. Heard it on ClutchFans.

16. JCTexan

JCTexan Hall of Fame

The tough schedule angle will only help the Texans get more prime-time games next year. I will say the five prime games (that I predicted in the OP) will be against Baltimore, Green Bay, New England, Detroit (Thanksgiving) and another against a divisional opponent (my guess would be Tennessee).

17. gwallaia

gwallaia Moderator Staff Member

It must just be me, but I prefer the noon kick-off on Sundays the best.

18. Vinnie

Vinnie with an I E

Speak for yourself, I hate weekday night games at Reliant. Between trying to get the kids a sitter at a decent time and fighting rush hour traffic, it pretty much eliminates a tailgate for us. I'll take what we can get though.

gwallaia likes this.
  19. ThaShark316

ThaShark316 #28

Texans will be a Monday night team like KC was last year.

I'll go with this:

GB - Sunday night.
    DET - Thanksgiving
    DEN - Monday night
    IND/TEN - Monday night

Add the Ravens or Pats as a 3 PM, national game.

I could see an early season DEN/HOU game on Mon. night.

20. ChampionTexan

ChampionTexan Site Contributor

I completely agree with Ryan. Heck, we had three prime time games in 2010 (Two Mondays and a Thursday) coming off of a non-playoff 9-7 season. Nationally, we're a far more interesting team going into 2012 than we were going into 2010.