Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Pretty disappointing draft

We're just fans looking for something to do . I'm talking about the guys who write or have their own website . Those guys give out a bunch of information .

I heard someone quoting Roger Godell about 600 million in signing bonuses paid out to rookies . I think they said half wouldn't make through the term of their contract . That 300 million gone with the wind .

I heard that as well - He was refering to the $50 million (or more) in guaranteed money that will likely be paid to Sam Bradford and how it negatively affects the team with the top pick. Picking first is suppose to help that team but the money involved really hurts them cap wise. Cant trade the pick for its value , Have to pay huge money to the top group -

They also referenced the NBA rookie scale.

Mock draft guy is just bracket guy with out college basketball.

Those who complain about the Texans Draft are the same people who complain to the Texans when they leave the roof open in 60 degree weather

A lot of pre-draft comments on Gerhart was that he could not do well in our system and that is just not true; even Smith acknowledged TG and Tate were rated similarly and the draft room was divided.

There may have been a lot of pre draft comments about Gerhart not doing well in our system, but not from me. That isn't what I said, or alluded to.
I said I thought Tate would do better, but that doesn't mean that I thought Gerhart would necessarily do bad.
That's not really my point, though. I was basically disagreeing with your assertion that the staff looked stupid by way of the trades they made.
I totally disagree. I mean even you are saying that the FO had the two players rated very closely, and that Tate was #3 on your own board. I just don't see where the team making trades that resulted in better draft position overall, and got them the player they wanted can be viewed as something that makes them look stupid.
I'm not trying to attack you or anything, it's just that my personal feeling is that your judgement is being clouded by your attachment to Gerhart as a pick.

We know for a fact that two separate scouting departments for NFL teams had Wilson rated lower as a corner. Two NFL teams who have a much better idea of what player fits their particular defensive scheme. It's really not even that hard to imagine the Patriots having Jackson rated higher. He was coached by Saban who worked under Bellicheck and BB has certainly shown an affinity for players developed by his former coaches. Not to mention they traded out of 22 after Jackson was gone. Again, that doesn't necessarily mean that he was rated higher on the Patriots board, but the simple fact that two NFL teams passed on Wilson (one of which has a pretty solid drafting record) seems to indicate that perhaps your rankings weren't as accurate as you hoped they would be. Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I'd rather see how these guys perform on the field for the Texans before lambasting a pick or the scouting department.

This needs to be said again. Parcells,Ireland,Bilechek,pioli, and those guys normally always hit the farms of guys they used to work with. When groh was with virginia, throw him in the mix. Also the iowa coach belongs in there too. The steelers,titans,and falcons all needed corners and passed on wilson. As soon as jackson was drafted, the patriots traded out of their pick. Thats says something considering they took mccourty later on. I'm not saying its the end all, be all, but we will see.

Badboy, what makes you think jackson can't run? His top end is good, his speed is good and he has good football speed. Reeves has great catchup speed, but if you don't get beat, you don't need it with technique.

I felt sorry for my friends who are big Toby Gerhart fans, imagine its your guy & he's there for the picking, then the Texans move out (excellent move IMO) I just never had the sense (even though they say they where split on taking Toby) that he was bound to be a Texan.

Well for me, my first and foremost issue with the draft was not who they selected, but what they selected. After the first couple rounds, I don't know one prospect from another, unless they come from one of three schools. So if the Texans have one guy valued higher than another, OK fine. But when they have their seventh TE valued higher than a FS, I take issue with that, no matter how good the TE might turn out to be. When they have the same type of DE that hasn't been working out rated higher than the type of DT that most folks seem to think they need, then I take issue with that. Etc., etc., etc.

As for Gerhart, I'm a big fan, and I wanted him on this team badly. But Tate was my second choice. So my only issue with the Tate selection was the FUBAR of the trade-down/trade-up. Tate+extra 3rd rounder > Gerhart all day. But Tate+an extra 5th rounder? That's a bit more iffy, given the percentages of 5th rounders making NFL rosters. Not to mention, it felt like they were trying to pull off their best Casserley riverboat gambler impression. It just came across like amateur hour in the war room. But whatever.

I'm pulling for all the guys they selected to work out, but even if they do, it doesn't fill a couple holes that they could have tried to address.

I heard someone quoting Roger Godell about 600 million in signing bonuses paid out to rookies . I think they said half wouldn't make through the term of their contract . That 300 million gone with the wind .
If they said half the rookies wouldn't make it through the terms of their contract, sure. That's why it's called Not For Long. If they said half the $600 million would be dead money, I have to say horse hockey. The majority of the high $$$ rookie contracts go to players who play to the end of the contract, or are extended.

I've got some serious questions that have been bugging me. I'd love it if anyone can answer them.

First of all, people always talk about how the best teams in the NFL stick to their draft board and draft with a BPA type strategy. If this were true, how do you explain teams like the Patriots and Colts clearly drafting for their needs in the top rounds? Furthermore, if this is the strategy the Texans are theoretically following (that's the excuse/reason we get for the 4-7 round picks), why is it we went CB, RB, DT in the first three rounds, clearly need picks and not BPA picks?

Second question is also about BPA drafting. How exactly is drafting a BPA that comes in an extremely deep position helping the team? I understand the concept of BPA, you get good football players and it just helps your team in the long run. So, what if Graham Garrett is the next Antonio Gates? How will we even find this out? How is the kid going to get any playing time? The only conceivable way he helps our team is by starting instead of Owen Daniels, which obviously is a bit of a ridiculous notion and even if he were the next Gates, that is barely an upgrade over Daniels who is a pro bowler himself.

I just don't agree with the logic of BPA. The drafting strategy should be BPA at need positions. Not BPA in general. I have the same gripe with Earl Mitchell. Dude is a 3 technique. We have Amobi Okoye. Yeah, Amobi Okoye kind of sucks, but he is better than what we have at 1 technique. At best, Earl Mitchell completely replaces Okoye as starting 3-tech and we still have a gaping hole at 1-tech.

So what would I have done? I'm not a scout, I don't know who the good players were. But this is what my draft would have looked like position wise:

1. CB
2. RB
3. DT (1-tech)
4a. FS
4b. C
5. CB
6a. DT
6b. WLB
7. WR

IMO, you look for STARTERS in the draft.

If you want special teamers, you pick them up as UDFA. Drafting a player intended to be a backup in the 4th is ridiculous to me.

I'm mostly just rambling because I'm bored. I'm pretty happy with most of our draft. I just don't like the TE, KR, or G pick because I think pure BPA is a flawed strategy. I'm frustrated with the LB pick because we should have targeted a pure cover WLB and I'm frustrated with our strategy at DT which I think has failed so far. And mostly, I like whining about stuff occasionally because it's the off season.

I've got some serious questions that have been bugging me. I'd love it if anyone can answer them.

First of all, people always talk about how the best teams in the NFL stick to their draft board and draft with a BPA type strategy. If this were true, how do you explain teams like the Patriots and Colts clearly drafting for their needs in the top rounds? Furthermore, if this is the strategy the Texans are theoretically following (that's the excuse/reason we get for the 4-7 round picks), why is it we went CB, RB, DT in the first three rounds, clearly need picks and not BPA picks?

Second question is also about BPA drafting. How exactly is drafting a BPA that comes in an extremely deep position helping the team? I understand the concept of BPA, you get good football players and it just helps your team in the long run. So, what if Graham Garrett is the next Antonio Gates? How will we even find this out? How is the kid going to get any playing time? The only conceivable way he helps our team is by starting instead of Owen Daniels, which obviously is a bit of a ridiculous notion and even if he were the next Gates, that is barely an upgrade over Daniels who is a pro bowler himself.

I just don't agree with the logic of BPA. The drafting strategy should be BPA at need positions. Not BPA in general. I have the same gripe with Earl Mitchell. Dude is a 3 technique. We have Amobi Okoye. Yeah, Amobi Okoye kind of sucks, but he is better than what we have at 1 technique. At best, Earl Mitchell completely replaces Okoye as starting 3-tech and we still have a gaping hole at 1-tech.

So what would I have done? I'm not a scout, I don't know who the good players were. But this is what my draft would have looked like position wise:

1. CB
2. RB
3. DT (1-tech)
4a. FS
4b. C
5. CB
6a. DT
6b. WLB
7. WR

If you want special teamers, you pick them up as UDFA. Drafting a player intended to be a backup in the 4th is ridiculous to me.

I'm mostly just rambling because I'm bored. I'm pretty happy with most of our draft. I just don't like the TE, KR, or G pick because I think pure BPA is a flawed strategy. I'm frustrated with the LB pick because we should have targeted a pure cover WLB and I'm frustrated with our strategy at DT which I think has failed so far. And mostly, I like whining about stuff occasionally because it's the off season.

If you're team is looking desperately for a starter at 5-7, you're team is in deep trouble.

1. CB
2. RB
3. DT (1-tech)
4a. FS
4b. C
5. CB
6a. DT
6b. WLB
7. WR

I can't answer all your questions, but i have some insight. The true indicator is how you rate a player.There are some teams that don't even have guys on their board and other have them rated highly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. That said, you really want that bpa availible to also be at or close to a need position. If you were looking at the ravens team, it was easy to say corner was a bigger need than rush lb or de. If they had stayed there, they couldve drafted wilson, but they moved down because kindle was falling. kindle wasn't a real need especially after just paying suggs, but he was the highest rated player on their board and they took him. The same can be said for indy with Saffold sitting there, but hughes had a higher draft grade. You mentioned graham as an example. What if daniels is slow to come back from injury or goes down again and this kid ave the same production as daniels did as a rookie? Then daniels still wants to be paid like he was pre injury? What do the team do? They do what all organizations do and move on.

Teams should always, for the most part ,take their highest rated player on their board. If its close, then you take the need pick. Baltimore did this last year drafting the tackle and now with gaither's injury, they can get a 1st or 2nd for gither even if they drafted him in the 4th of a supplemental draft. Stay true and everything works out well.

Mock draft guy is just bracket guy with out college basketball.

Those who complain about the Texans Draft are the same people who complain to the Texans when they leave the roof open in 60 degree weather

until every angle from every corner is exposed nobody gets out of here alive, you of all people should realize that :fingergun:

To the Thread Starter....you are entitled to your opinion but I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about. I can tell you are a Gerhart fan but I would have been afraid to draft a lightskinned RB too...no offense. We won't know for a few years how this draft turned out.

To the Thread Starter....you are entitled to your opinion but I don't think you have a clue what you are talking about. I can tell you are a Gerhart fan but I would have been afraid to draft a lightskinned RB too...no offense. We won't know for a few years how this draft turned out.

Wait... are you for real? Damn, that is blatant racism. Just as if someone said "I would not draft Young, I would be too afraid to draft a dark skinned QB". It is one thing to dislike a player for his skills. For example "I would be too afraid to draft Young because his throwing motion is awful, and he cant read defenses to save his life".

About Gerhart vs. Tate, we will see who has a better career. Tate will get most of the chances early on, as he will be the starter while Gerhart is a backup to AP.

Draft analysis and grades are pretty useless at this point in time.

How good/bad a player is at the NFL level is unknown. You can search the web and find dozens player analysis that supports your thought on a pick, and dozens of player analysis that supports the opposite.

I just seem to remember a few years ago all the rage about a DE as a first pick when the "next coming of Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and the best thing since sliced bread" was not picked first. Since then the team that did pick up the next Barry Sanders has had - how many RB's?

I just leave the picking of the picks to the experts - the real experts, then go and read up on them and watch what highlights I can or read the reports someone here posts after watching the actual games.

I also though WTF when they picked some TE's, but after some though do see the need for some with most of our TE's hurt. Esp with OD as this is his 3rd (?) knee surgery. Who knows how he will come back and if it becomes a similar case as Dunta I can see him being traded or let go.

Getting backup or special teams players seems to be a nice place to be. If one of our LB's gets hurt there is some depth to fill in when necessary. A speedy little guy to handle KR is just plain fun. And the TE they drafted to be a WR just reminds me of AJ to some extent while watching some video.

How any of these guys will work out at the NFL level no one knows. We have to wait and see. But after reading up on them all, I am ready for the football season to start. Too bad it is several months away.

<snip>

How any of these guys will work out at the NFL level no one knows. We have to wait and see. But after reading up on them all, I am ready for the football season to start. Too bad it is several months away.

Quote of the day.

Rep for the post Grams.

How good/bad a player is at the NFL level is unknown. You can search the web and find dozens player analysis that supports your thought on a pick, and dozens of player analysis that supports the opposite.

I just seem to remember a few years ago all the rage about a DE as a first pick when the "next coming of Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and the best thing since sliced bread" was not picked first. Since then the team that did pick up the next Barry Sanders has had - how many RB's?

I just leave the picking of the picks to the experts - the real experts, then go and read up on them and watch what highlights I can or read the reports someone here posts after watching the actual games.

I also though WTF when they picked some TE's, but after some though do see the need for some with most of our TE's hurt. Esp with OD as this is his 3rd (?) knee surgery. Who knows how he will come back and if it becomes a similar case as Dunta I can see him being traded or let go.

Getting backup or special teams players seems to be a nice place to be. If one of our LB's gets hurt there is some depth to fill in when necessary. A speedy little guy to handle KR is just plain fun. And the TE they drafted to be a WR just reminds me of AJ to some extent while watching some video.

The front office has been bitten before by not being cautious with injuries. They get killed when they don't plan ahead for injuries, and killed when they do plan ahead for injuries.

I only saw a couple of games of TG. Yes he got alot of yards but he also got stacked up alot on goal to go chances and 3rd and 1s by guys smaller than him. I thought that he hasn't gotten popped good enough yet to see what he could do after he took a hit and if he would keep playing at that level. Ben Tate showed me those things and i think that is why I like him more but TG was right behind him.

I was there when we drafted thinking "Ben Tate or Toby Gerhart, Ben Tate or Toby Gerhart".
Not doubting what you saw but
Ben Tate 2009 TDs 10 Career 24
TGerhart 2009 TDs 27 Career 43

No...
It is NOT.
This is a rite of Spring!
Arguing about who we did or didn't draft is as much a part of football as tailgating or wearing your team's jersey or laughing at Mel Kiper's hair.
it's what we do.
leave us alone.
:clap: It is funny that some people complain yet still show up to grumble. They remind me of the guy who hangs out at the beach but grumbles about the girls in the bikinis.

You know what I saw every time I watched footage of Toby Gerhart? I saw over and over again hitting holes that were already 4-5 yards downfield, running through defenders that were either backpedaling or just barely getting off their blocks. I don't think I saw a single run where he had to actually make it through a hole at the line of scrimmage. His OL was too good. Now I'm only talking about highlight reels here, but from what I've seen his production was in large part due to an OL that completely dominated at that level. But how many times in the NFL do you see the whole defense get blown back and initial holes opening 4 yards downfield?

You know what I saw every time I watched footage of Toby Gerhart? I saw over and over again hitting holes that were already 4-5 yards downfield, running through defenders that were either backpedaling or just barely getting off their blocks. I don't think I saw a single run where he had to actually make it through a hole at the line of scrimmage. His OL was too good. Now I'm only talking about highlight reels here, but from what I've seen his production was in large part due to an OL that completely dominated at that level. But how many times in the NFL do you see the whole defense get blown back and initial holes opening 4 yards downfield?

Have you ever watched the Browns play? :splits:

There may have been a lot of pre draft comments about Gerhart not doing well in our system, but not from me. That isn't what I said, or alluded to.
I said I thought Tate would do better, but that doesn't mean that I thought Gerhart would necessarily do bad.
That's not really my point, though. I was basically disagreeing with your assertion that the staff looked stupid by way of the trades they made.
I totally disagree. I mean even you are saying that the FO had the two players rated very closely, and that Tate was #3 on your own board. I just don't see where the team making trades that resulted in better draft position overall, and got them the player they wanted can be viewed as something that makes them look stupid.
I'm not trying to attack you or anything, it's just that my personal feeling is that your judgement is being clouded by your attachment to Gerhart as a pick.
It was noted in the paper and on TV (last night on NFL Total Access) that Texans made a trade down with Vikings and got an extra 3rd then moved quickly to rebound back into the same round Now that did bother me because I like TG and he was right there. That was not the stupid part because I did not think Minnesota would draft him with the power back already on the roster. Fooled me too. The stupid part was not realizing that two teams now ahead of Texans after the trade down wanted backs just like Tate. The "panic" referred to by some in the media then ensued with Texans trading back up to go get Tate. Someone should have thought (and maybe did and were over ridden) there are two premium back left (Tate and TG) & and least two teams (three counting Vikings as we quickly found out) that wanted backs (Browns selected Hardesty and Seattle selecting Golden Tate).

You might think my attachment to any player clouds my judgement but I think I have tried to support each of my players with documented info that one may agree or disagree with. I think Rmartin65 and Beerlover will testify to this as during all of our mock preparation, I did change some of my guys for theirs but only after much debate and info from them to support each position.

It was noted in the paper and on TV (last night on NFL Total Access) that Texans made a trade down with Vikings and got an extra 3rd then moved quickly to rebound back into the same round Now that did bother me because I like TG and he was right there. That was not the stupid part because I did not think Minnesota would draft him with the power back already on the roster. Fooled me too. The stupid part was not realizing that two teams now ahead of Texans after the trade down wanted backs just like Tate. The "panic" referred to by some in the media then ensued with Texans trading back up to go get Tate. Someone should have thought (and maybe did and were over ridden) there are two premium back left (Tate and TG) & and least two teams (three counting Vikings as we quickly found out) that wanted backs (Browns selected Hardesty and Seattle selecting Golden Tate).
You might think my attachment to any player clouds my judgement but I think I have tried to support each of my players with documented info that one may agree or disagree with. I think Rmartin65 and Beerlover will testify to this as during all of our mock preparation, I did change some of my guys for theirs but only after much debate and info from them to support each position.

I thought Golden Tate was a WR from ND?

This needs to be said again. Parcells,Ireland,Bilechek,pioli, and those guys normally always hit the farms of guys they used to work with. When groh was with virginia, throw him in the mix. Also the iowa coach belongs in there too. The steelers,titans,and falcons all needed corners and passed on wilson. As soon as jackson was drafted, the patriots traded out of their pick. Thats says something considering they took mccourty later on. I'm not saying its the end all, be all, but we will see.

Badboy, what makes you think jackson can't run? His top end is good, his speed is good and he has good football speed. Reeves has great catchup speed, but if you don't get beat, you don't need it with technique.
Did you think Atlanta would draft a first round CB after signing Dunta to a huge FA contract? Most mocks I saw for Pittsburgh had them going Oline (and they did) and I doubt many were surprised that Tennessee drafted a Dlineman.

Concerning your question on Jackson's running ability, I have explained that on earlier post. More to do with his mental change over from "uh oh, I guessed wrong to go catch him".

Did you think Atlanta would draft a first round CB after signing Dunta to a huge FA contract? Most mocks I saw for Pittsburgh had them going Oline (and they did) and I doubt many were surprised that Tennessee drafted a Dlineman.

Concerning your question on Jackson's running ability, I have explained that on earlier post. More to do with his mental change over from "uh oh, I guessed wrong to go catch him".
I wonder where did you see this?

In what game?

I saw a couple of plays when he's behind the WR, but there were help in the middle. I've seen the Tides play this way many times to try for an INT if the QB happens to throw it short.

Other than that, I don't see him get beat to even say that he was guessing wrong and have to go chase the receiver.
Even if I missed one, it would be only just one play.

Maybe you saw something from last year?

I am the Thread Starter and I appreciate you allowing me my opinion. I do support my opinion with info. Without you giving any facts to support your opinion that I am clueless, you seem to me to be the type to just accept everything the Texans do without question. Attack me if you will but at least have the courage to say why.

Your statement of you are "afraid to draft a lightskinned RB too" makes you look pretty stupid and again you offer nothing to support such a ridiculous statement. You actually think the Texans did not choose Gerhart because he is white? Wow.

I thought Golden Tate was a WR from ND?
yes, he is and the guy and woman discussing it last night laughed at how it appeared. They discussed that Seattle wanted Tate and Texans thought it was our guy rather than the WR. Their point was did Seattle really want RB Tate and selected WR Tate 2 spots later as BPA or did Seattle start a rumor about wanting a "Tate". That might explain the "panic" comments about Houston moving back up into the second round.

We've been doing it to Owen Daniels (Daniel Owens) and now we are doing it to Garrett Graham!!!!!

Steve Slayton is laughing.

You forgot Kevin WalterS.

Maybe this team just goes after player that have two first names or two last names instead of a normal name. :D

this thread is Worthless

Badboy and I haven't gotten along about alot of stuff but I'm not sure why he is being ripped about his opinion on this stuff. I think it is awesome that he took the time to scout these guys and really put alot of effort into his mocks. That is more than most who do a cursory glance and just go with it. As I said earlier I have read alot of opinions that had Wilson higher. Just because a couple of teams had Jackson higher doesn't mean they're right. Just like Badboy might not be right. We will never know until down the road but it takes alot of effort to do the research and takes alot of effort to write a post like the OP, which goes through the process and the picks. So I commend him on that and think he and Beer and others did a great job.

Last edited:
1.Badboy: Kyle Wilson 5'10" 194 4.43 bump & run and cover guy that can close with a burst.

2.Badboy: Toby Gerhart 6' 231 4.5s He is sitting right there! Dennison said both were rated even and if we could have gotten Tate and kept the 3rd, brilliant. But we didn't. So much for TG versus Jonathan Dwyer.

3.Badboy: Moeaki6'3" 245 great receiver, needs to work on blocking. An OD clone if you will.

4.Badboy: #118 Owusu-Ansah 6'207 4.41 CB/FS/KR This was my FS and back up corner. BTW, Ed Campo of Dallas is saying he is the FS.http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/04/24/2140336/dallas-cowboys-draft-pick-from.html
Ansah also averaged 30 yards as a senior on kick returns.

4b. Garrett Graham similar to OD but in my draft we have better TE with Moeaki. I have no 4th as I did not trade.

5. Badboy: Rashad Jones 6'1"214 4.51 I was stunned he was here and he had a 3-4 th round range. Can play SS to back Pollard or FS. Fast, hard hitter.

6a Badboy: David Gettis WR 6'3" 217 pro day 40 4.39 and does not have to convert from TE. 52 receptions 3 TDs. Big guy in Red Zone who could make one of current WRs obsolete. Had him on one of my earliest mocks. *Note Jonathan Dwyer was still available and I almost went with him as I wanted one more back in TC.
6b Trindon Holliday: I almost fell out of my chair, RMartin65 pick this guy from way back when and we put him on our final mock.
Badboy:To be honest due to his small size I really looked hard for another player but this kid should be great. I hope he keeps his Blue Cross/Blue SHield premium paid up.

7.Badboy: Jeff Owen DT 6'1" 304 4.94 40. 65 and Beerlover researched the heck out of this guy and he is super strong and Pepto's (stops) the runs. We had him as high as 4th and would have been a steal. I'll put him against Mitchell especially comparing where each was selected.

Looks like a nice draft. I would have been happy with it, if that's the way the Texans went, but they didn't, so it sucks...... :splits: Just playing.

I was hoping we'd do something and get Taylor Mays in the third. After the Texans picked a DT... I was like, "OK, I can see that too.

& I say Taylor Mays, because I've heard the name floating around here, and he was still available in the third. I don't know any of these kids. If the majority of fans (and analysts) are happy, I'm happy.

For me, the difference between your draft, and the Texans is on the DT. If Jeff Owen & Mitchell have comparable seasons/careers then I want you on the Texans scouting staff.

If not... I'd still want you there, so you can explain to them how rational people think.

It's not that I don't like our draft.. but I'm still scratching my head.

Looks like a nice draft. I would have been happy with it, if that's the way the Texans went, but they didn't, so it sucks...... :splits: Just playing.

I was hoping we'd do something and get Taylor Mays in the third. After the Texans picked a DT... I was like, "OK, I can see that too.

& I say Taylor Mays, because I've heard the name floating around here, and he was still available in the third. I don't know any of these kids. If the majority of fans (and analysts) are happy, I'm happy.

For me, the difference between your draft, and the Texans is on the DT. If Jeff Owen & Mitchell have comparable seasons/careers then I want you on the Texans scouting staff.

If not... I'd still want you there, so you can explain to them how rational people think.

Mays was taken 50th by the Niners. He didn't make it to our 2nd round pick.

Seattle addressed their RB need via trades picking up LenDale White (cost only moving down in 6th rd. a few spots) & swapped a 5th for 7th to get Leon Washington. Guess that was their adjustment to Texans trading up ahead of them to get Tate. good value but still think I'd prefer Tate.

Thanks, TK. As you may recall at the beginning of the last college season, I had posted positive comments about Taylor Mays. In fact, I was so excited one of the posters had to remind me that I gave him a different first name. Unfortunately two things happened after my thread 1. Mays decided to not come out early 2) he had a not so great year that caused detractors to really dig deep into his game tape. He eventually fell off my first round board but thought he could have gone to either Oakland or more reasonably to Dallas. I do see him more as a strong safety type. On the DT, my MocK Mate BeerLover identified Mitchell as a good candidate & thinks he could be a real good player for us.

yes, he is and the guy and woman discussing it last night laughed at how it appeared. They discussed that Seattle wanted Tate and Texans thought it was our guy rather than the WR. Their point was did Seattle really want RB Tate and selected WR Tate 2 spots later as BPA or did Seattle start a rumor about wanting a "Tate". That might explain the "panic" comments about Houston moving back up into the second round.

What makes you think Houston panicked? They traded back 11 spots for a 3rd, then traded ahead of the next group of teams that needed a RB for a 5th. That doesn't sound like panic, it sounds like smart drafting IMO.

What makes you think Houston panicked? They traded back 11 spots for a 3rd, then traded ahead of the next group of teams that needed a RB for a 5th. That doesn't sound like panic, it sounds like smart drafting IMO.
Guys on ESPN and NFL Total Access voiced that opinion and not positive but one of the beat writers for Houston paper did also, if I remember correctly.

Guys on ESPN and NFL Total Access voiced that opinion and not positive but one of the beat writers for Houston paper did also, if I remember correctly.

I remember them saying that they traded down because they had the two ( Gerhart and Tate ) rated even . IMO ... they wanted Tate and I'm betting the Vikings told the Texans they wanted Gerhart . They make the trade and then traded up for Tate . Who was Taken right after Tate ?

I remember them saying that they traded down because they had the two ( Gerhart and Tate ) rated even . IMO ... they wanted Tate and I'm betting the Vikings told the Texans they wanted Gerhart . They make the trade and then traded up for Tate . Who was Taken right after Tate ?

Hardesty.

And that's just some smooth working of the draft as far as I'm concerned. No panic whatsoever but maybe a few sweaty palms until it got done.

Two: McKnight in the 4th, Conner (FB) in the 5th.

So... if your point is that there was a sharp drop-off in perceived talent after Tate and Hardesty... it looks like it.

I thought the RBs in this draft were A and B in several categories .

scat back .. A . Spiller B. Best

Speed/size A. Matthews , Tate ... B. Hardesty

Power Back A. Gerhart ... no B .

I thought the Texans wanted the bolded and really weren't interested in Hardesty . So if they didn't get Tate , then they would have looked silly .

Back