Press Conference

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by autch14, Mar 5, 2007.

1. autch14

autch14 Rookie

Does anyone have a link to the press confrence?

2. Navy_Chris

Navy_Chris All Pro

click on the Live Press Conference at 1pm link in the Bull Pen.

3. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Here it is (interesting bits to me highlighted):

Link to Ahman Green and Rick Smith Presser

Mixing the power game with the zone blocking. Ick. I don't know how well that goes given that every time they power block they basically are saying, you know what we are fixing to do, but we can do it anyway. You don't have the beef up front to be doing that. The Denver ZBS is supposed to look from a defenders standpoint the same every play--run or pass.

Yeah, Sherman knows more about this than I do, but it sure does sound different than what Shanny the Younger was talking about blockingwise last summer in the coaching camp I attended.

4. Texans_Chick

Texans_Chick Utopian Dreamer

Link to Dre talking to press

Andre after one of the games this season talked about how he loved Houston as his home. It's nice to see him back up his words with this action.

5. ledzeppelin229

ledzeppelin229 Hall of Fame

Definitely sounds like some uncertainty. I think we might just see some legit competition this year at QB between the attempted moves and the lack of unconditional commitment to Carr.

6. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

I like Green's attitude, and it's a big plus that he wanted to come to Houston.

And AJ, what can I say, dude is a Texan in his heart. I think both of these guys will be huge part of our offense, and will help take some of the pressure off of our QB (whoever that may be come September).

Hopefully we'll see some o-line acquisitions soon, too. That'll be another huge piece of the puzzle that must be addressed.

7. Ole Miss Texan

Ole Miss Texan Hall of Fame

Green's one of my new favorite texans now!

8. hollywood_texan

hollywood_texan Hall of Fame

I hope you guys are right about Green.

$23 million over 4 years for a 30 year-old back is a gutsy call.

9. aj.

aj. Hall of Fame

Forget the 23 million and forget the 4 years (except for s/b proration purposes).

Focus on the guaranteed money (which is far less than 23 million) and when/how it hits.

This is a good deal if Green can stay healthy for two seasons.

10. Ole Miss Texan

Does anybody know how we're going to be paying him? Salary/bonus per year...how much each year?

Peter King on monday morning QB on si.com wrote that he thought we were paying a 30 year old back too much...that it would be $8 million for 2007. Is there any truth to this? He also said Rhodes and TJ ducket would have been better choices.

I wish we wouldn't get hounded for every single move we ever make! only time will cure that i guess.. i love the signing of green.

11. Lucky

Lucky Moderator

Winning will be the cure. Until this team wins, everything they do will be questioned.

12. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Salem Poor

Dominic Rhodes... would have been a better choice??

Well hell yeah, for $6million guaranteed you damn right that would have been a better choice.

13. Ole Miss Texan

That's what I was thinking...I don't think that King realizes that the other two maay cost more or that Green was the best fit for our team in this situation.

winning is all it'll take ...cheers to that...it won't be too much longer.

14. mexican_texan

mexican_texan Furry Tractors

Green has more talent in his beard than Rhodes has in his whole right leg. I'm just saying.

15. Imatexanfan

Imatexanfan Hall of Fame

Overall on the Green signing, I'm less concerned with age and more concerned with wear and tear from some big carry seasons in his prime, especially 2003. That year, he picked up 355 carries for Sherman in the regular season, 403 overall. In terms of the overall carries, that's 25th most brutal total in a season and looking at the list above him does not promise a lot of future success.

I did a lot of research on the effects of big carry seasons like that near the end of last year and let's just say the effects aren't pretty. It's definitely an accelerator on the RB aging process. I think the best we can hope for is one somewhat solid season (around the caliber of last year hopefully better), maybe another if we go to an RB-by-committee. :shades:

16. Ole Miss Texan

I'm one for signing Dayne. If we have both those guys I really think we HAVE to mix our RB's up....'by committee'. we could use them as long as they stay healthy so we should do everything we can to help them do that.

17. Grid

Grid Hall of Fame

Dre is my hero.