Preseason game 2:New Orleans @ Houston

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by Wolf, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

2. Wolf

Wolf 100% Texan

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9951350/Saints-look-forward-to-work-vs.-Texans

3. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

It seems like defenses have won out here after one week of preseason around the NFL...lotta low scoring games but this one will be anything but that. I expect us to absolutely toy with the Saints defense - first, second and third teams. I can see 500 total yards and a 30+points easily.

The big test will be for our defense, NO aint KC.

4. brakos82

brakos82 Hall of Fame

As in... the Saints are actually worth a damn?

5. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

Haha to say the least

6. ObsiWan

ObsiWan Site Contributor

You're kiddin' right?
    The Saints had the numero uno offense in the league last year, mostly on the strength of Drew Brees' arm. The only guy they lost was Deuce McAllister.

7. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

The Saints are a much better team than KC, this will be good for us. I'm looking forward to it.

8. m5kwatts

m5kwatts Hall of Fame

I'm also looking forward to a RETRACTABLE ROOF and no slippery field and ridiculous conditions like KC for a friggin preseason game. I'm guessing our injury report after this game won't read like a grocery list for a family of 10.

9. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

Awesome comment from "jlangkam"

I don't normally get into the Mario/Reggie thing anymore because it's really, really, really played out and besides it's a lot more fun to pick on Vince since he went to a division opponent. Still I know that I want my team looking for decoys at the top of round one in the draft. Can someone who truly follows the Saints fill me in on even one game that Reggie "dominated"? I genuinely don't recall hearing about it. On more than one occasion I've seen the sports media take a fairly garden variety performance of his and act like he dominated the game but I've never once heard tell of him taking over a game and making the defense his *****. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I just don't recall hearing about it or seeing it.

Still comments like this remind me that the three way can of worms that was the top of round one in 2006 and the fallout that followed is played out in three cities (well, at least two), not just ours.

10. b0ng

b0ng Ooops

As far as I know Reggie Bush is the first guy to get picked in the top 5 and get outplayed by the guy picked in the 7th round of the same draft class.

11. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

The closest I've heard of RB "dominating" a game was a couple in which he had some good punt returns and decent receiving yards. IMO, the guy could be a game changer if they utilized him better, ala Michael Westbrook. Heas has NEVER made an NFL defense his ***** or anything else. I can't imagine what an offensive guy like Payton is thinking by not finding ways to get RB the ball in the open field.

12. buddyboy

buddyboy All Pro

Later on that same guy complains more about how Reggie has been "under the microscope" and that's why the critics hate him so much. For me, I think that Mario has been under MORE scrutiny than Reggie. He's had to battle through the instantaneous belief that he was going to be the biggest mistake in football history. Critics would have LOVED for Mario to tank and prove them all right, and it took two 10+ sack seasons to change their minds.

He also talks about the impact of Reggie as a decoy being greater than the impact of Mario. No way. I guarantee that offenses account for Mario with either a chip block from a RB, an extra TE blocker, sending the RB to the other side. And even when Mario doesn't register a tackle, sack, or TFL, he impacts games by causing pressure and drawing blockers.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2009
  13. barrett

barrett Hall of Fame

if i'm not mistaken his yards from scrimmage are pretty good.

14. whiskeyrbl

whiskeyrbl Guest

15. DocBar

DocBar Hall of Fame

16. Thorn

Thorn Dirty Old Man

Reggie "Bust" Bush

End of story.

Sorry for New Orleans, because I have nothing against them. I would wish the Saints better luck than to get stuck with Bush, I really would. But it's unfortunate they have Bush who will never amount to as much in the NFL as our 3rd round pick Slaton will.

17. TimeKiller

TimeKiller Guest

This giant tree, standing 10,000 ft. high but not
    uhhhhhhhh

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

18. dalemurphy

dalemurphy Hall of Fame

The Bush-obsessed media threw a party at the end of '06 because Bush broke the record for rookie "all-purpose yards", which includes kickoff and punt returning, as well as yards from scrimmage. What is funny about that is that MJ Drew shattered that same record that same season as a rookie and nobody even mentioned it.

19. jlam

jlam Veteran

Ok well now we're getting into revisionist history. Jones-Drew got ass-loads of praise and credit for breaking that record and most people thought he should have been rookie of the year, which I and most rational Saints fans I know agreed with. He had the best year and was the better player (probably still is). Bush also has never returned a kickoff in his NFL career and really was only a part time punt returner his rookie season as he really wasn't all that good at it yet.

Not promoting anybody, just setting the facts straight.

Anywho, I'm really looking forward to hopefully going to the practice tomorrow morning. Should be a fun week. A poster earlier mentioned that he expected at least 30+ points and 500 total yards. I have a lot of respect for the potential that the Houston offense has, but I would be very dissappointed if that happened. We still have a lot of work to do on defense for sure, but signs are pointing toward our new D-Coord having us leave our old "read and react" defense behind and instead having us be the ones to dictate play. It'll be a defense that's more aggressive and swarming than the one you guys saw last preseason and in the '07 regular season (jesus that was awful). Not to mention we just cut Jason David (praise the lard) and Josh Bullocks has been gone for a while.

Not to say that we're going to be throwing out exotic schemes or anything, because that's not gonna happen. Just that the overall mentality should be less "cautious" than it used to be. "Bend but don't break" wasn't doing a lot of good when you give up the most 20+ and 40+ yard plays in the league. I think I might consider that "breaking".

20. HOU-TEX

HOU-TEX Ah, Football!

Having watched most of y'alls first game on replay I agree with you, unfortunately. They do seem a bit more agressive than in the past. That said, I have no doubt at all that our offense will move the ball with ease. Like always, it's what we do with it inside the 20 and not turning it over.