Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Preseason... Game 1... Kansas City Chiefs!!!

It's boring in some ways, but I do still watch. Like seeing the new additions, rookies, and players on the rebound from the rehab list.

If we could wrap #4 in bubble wrap before these games, that would be good.

Seeing how we basically get zero coverage from training camp under O'Brien's regime.. I'm always eagerly waiting and highly excited to watch the preseason games. This year more than others.

I want to see the revamped offensive line in action, especially against another team's Dline.

I want to see how the TE position looks, because I honestly feel every spot on the depth chart is up for grabs from starter on down.

I want to see how our running backs look and see if we can get a ground game going (ties back in with offensive line)..

And I want to see what our depth looks like, especially on defense. Weaver calls this Dline from top to bottom the best group he's ever coached.. I want to see how deep we go at Linebacker and how good we are at the top. I also want to see how this revamped secondary looks, especially the safeties.

Is it boring..yes, if you're going into it holding it to the expectations of a regular football game..but strictly from evaluation purposes, it's not boring at all. This is the time of the year where we get to unwrap our new Christmas gifts that were purchased in April and see if they suck or not.

We'll actaully get real player evaluations out of these games and not just a giant Marc Vandermeer and John Harris circle jerk.

Last edited:
Feared to be an ACL, but it was not. Most likely a meniscus tear that will be trimmed and not repaired. That's how Clowney's journey began.

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

Chiefs’ safety Daniel Sorensen will undergo knee surgery and “will miss the first part of the (regular) season”, according to a source. Sorensen was having a strong camp but now will miss the remainder of the preseason and then some.

7:53 PM - Aug 7, 2018

I wish the game weren't on a weekday so I could play the Spencer Tillman drinking game.

Take 1 shot for "Smoke through a keyhole."
Take 2 shots for "An apple and a road map."

That's already enough to give me a nasty hangover at work the next morning. Feel free to add to the list since I must've blocked the others from memory.

I wish the game weren't on a weekday so I could play the Spencer Tillman drinking game.

That's already enough to give me a nasty hangover at work the next morning. Feel free to add to the list since I must've blocked the others from memory.

"Slow to, fast through" iirc.

Last edited:

Whatever you do, don’t try a drinking game involving Spencer’s use of “problematic”. Someone could die in the 1st half.

Just 1 more day until the first preseason game.
My points of interest are the O-line and tight ends mainly, but I have other things I'd like to see.
It's looking like the o-line just might be a much better group then last year by a long shot. The additions of Senio Kelemete, Seantrel Henderson and Jach Fulton are a huge improvement over last year.
I'm particularly interested in Jordan Thomas at tight end. The guy, from all accounts in training camp, could end up being a beast and a great draft pick. He catches everything thrown in his area code and his blocking has improved a great deal. To the point that he will be able to use his giant stature in both the passing and running game.
The running game is a potential problem area. Hopefully, the offensive line was improved enough to open up holes for Lamar Miller to get through. Looking forward to Foreman coming back. Hopefully he'll be a healthy version of himself. I'm looking forward to seeing how Pope contends in the running back group.
I really hope Joe Webb beats out Brandon Weeden as the back up. I really want to see how Webb performs. Hope it's a very good performance for the quarterback group.
Finally, Special teams. How special, or disastrous, will they be this year. We need allot of improvement in this area. We have great kickers, it's just the coverage teams and blocking for the return teams. Let's hope for special and not disastrous.

Last edited:
So we've got:
  • Problematic.
  • Smoke through a keyhole.
  • Apple and a road map.
That's a good start, but I'm sure we can think of more.

I think Tillman reads the forums and recycles his phrases just to troll us. No one could think the same lines are always clever year after year... Right?

... Right?

So we've got:
  • Problematic.
  • Apple and a road map.
That's a good start, but I'm sure we can think of more.
Carr Bombed above mentioned, "Slow to, fast through". Or is it "Fast to, slow through"? Or both? I can't remember? Not to worry, Spencer will give us his greatest hits tomorrow, along with Joel Meyers butchering players' names all night long. With a handful of Houston "Oilers" to boot.

There is supposed to be more optimism going into this year than last year because we now know what the Texans are capable of if healthy.

It's that "if healthy" thing that keeps coming back to bite us every single ******* year of our miserable existence as Texan fans that mitigates that optimism.

Just so we're up to speed:
  • Problematic.
  • Apple and a road map.
  • Slow to, fast through.
One shot per should leave you just short of needing your stomach pumped.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/201...whitney-mercilus-not-play-kansas-city-chiefs/

Houston Texans outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus will have to wait another week or more to make his preseason debut.

According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, the 28-year-old has a soft tissue injury, which has kept him out of practice the past few days. Subsequently, he will not play against the Kansas City Chiefs Thursday night at Arrowhead Stadium.

Dang it man. Lets not start this crap football gods. Give us a break. Geeezz

Last edited:
Another Chiefs DB bites the dust. Daniel Sorensen injured his knee during training camp and is expected to miss the first few weeks of the season.

https://texanswire.usatoday.com/201...whitney-mercilus-not-play-kansas-city-chiefs/

Houston Texans outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus will have to wait another week or more to make his preseason debut.

According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, the 28-year-old has a soft tissue injury, which has kept him out of practice the past few days. Subsequently, he will not play against the Kansas City Chiefs Thursday night at Arrowhead Stadium.

Dang it man. Lets not start this crap football gods. Give us a break. Geeezz

Compared to most other teams, we've been pretty fortunate until now. Of course, most of our players coming back from injury are seeing little play, and practices from what I've heard have not been particularly grueling. After last year, looks like their may be over caution going into this season.

Last edited:
Will they re-air the rerun of the Texans at Chiefs game tomorrow night? I'll be too busy watching the Astros vs. Mariners game while the Texans game is live.

Will they re-air the rerun of the Texans at Chiefs game tomorrow night? I'll be too busy watching the Astros vs. Mariners game while the Texans game is live.

It'll probably be on youtube by the time the Astros game is over and most likely NFL network also. Myself, I will probably watch the first quarter (or however long Watson plays before switching over to the 'stros

Last edited:
Just 1 more day until the first preseason game.
My points of interest are the O-line and tight ends mainly, but I have other things I'd like to see.
It's looking like the o-line just might be a much better group then last year by a long shot. The additions of Senio Kelemete, Seantrel Henderson and Jach Fulton are a huge improvement over last year.
I'm particularly interested in Jordan Thomas at tight end. The guy, from all accounts in training camp, could end up being a beast and a great draft pick. He catches everything thrown in his area code and his blocking has improved a great deal. To the point that he will be able to use his giant stature in both the passing and running game.
The running game is a potential problem area. Hopefully, the offensive line was improved enough to open up holes for Lamar Miller to get through. Looking forward to Foreman coming back. Hopefully he'll be a healthy version of himself. I'm looking forward to seeing how Pope contends in the running back group.
I really hope Joe Webb beats out Brandon Weeden as the back up. I really want to see how Webb performs. Hope it's a very good performance for the quarterback group.
Finally, Special teams. How special, or disastrous, will they be this year. We need allot of improvement in this area. We have great kickers, it's just the coverage teams and blocking for the return teams. Let's hope for special and not disastrous.
We hope those FA offensive linemen will all live up to expectations, but I'm betting at least one will be a disappointment. I remember how Allen turned out. I'll be watching their performance with baited breath.
At RB I have a horrible feeling that Foreman's career is effectively over.

I'll do what i normally do..watch the 1st 2-3 series to see what the starters are looking like, then start working in the office for the rest of the game. Have 0 desire to watch fringe guys like Travis Labhart and Angelo Blackson look like studs for 4 games only to get cut in 4 weeks.

I'll do what i normally do..watch the 1st 2-3 series to see what the starters are looking like, then start working in the office for the rest of the game. Have 0 desire to watch fringe guys like Travis Labhart and Angelo Blackson look like studs for 4 games only to get cut in 4 weeks.

What about the Dylan Cole's of the world? A lot of those players playing after the first couple of series are what is going to round out our depth and some will become future starters.

What about the Dylan Cole's of the world? A lot of those players playing after the first couple of series are what is going to round out our depth and some will become future starters.

I realize that.... you just can't really get a sense of how good these guys are playing against other fringe guys in the preseason. Call it the LeStar Jean effect. Add to that the Spencer Tillman idiot...errr idiom effect, the bland playcalling and there's just not enough interest there to warrant watching any more than 1 qtr of the game....except PS game 3 that is. Ii completely check out on PS game 4.

I realize that.... you just can't really get a sense of how good these guys are playing against other fringe guys in the preseason. Call it the LeStar Jean effect. Add to that the Spencer Tillman idiot...errr idiom effect, the bland playcalling and there's just not enough interest there to warrant watching any more than 1 qtr of the game....except PS game 3 that is. Ii completely check out on PS game 4.

It's like going to a Single A baseball game. The outcome don't matter to me. I expect nothing less that a football charade. I just wanna half a$$ watch the game, enjoy a beer or 5, practice my 2nd guessing the coach, play calling and putting down whatever the talking heads in the booth are spewing. I'm a bit rusty, it's preseason, so I have a few weeks to get my game up to a competitive level.
:tv: :drunk: :boxing: :cjeremy635: :koolaid:

If all else fails, it's karaoke night at my bar. It's a win-win! :bag:

It's the Texans on TV, of course I'll be watching. And stoned as hell. How long it keeps my shortened attention span is another question. But there's no way I'll be missing that 1st quarter at least. I'll watch long enough to see what happens with Watson and how different the offense looks when the next guy is QB.

This has seemed like an awfully long offseason this year.

I generally watch the first half of preseason games - (except the 4th that I don't usually watch at all) then have the game on while doing something else - just in case something cool happens and I can rewind and watch.

I'll watch the whole game, every snap even if it's a preseason/exhibition game. I usually only watch Texans games in the preseason and I will record the game and
then watch most of it a second time. Like many people I'm most of all interested in waching the OLine tonight.

This has seemed like an awfully long offseason this year.

I generally watch the first half of preseason games - (except the 4th that I don't usually watch at all) then have the game on while doing something else - just in case something cool happens and I can rewind and watch.

The offseason hasn't been too bad for me, I've been riding the wave of the Rockets (although Paul's injury was a huge downer) and the Astros. Now when both of those teams sucked...THAT was a LONG offseason.

None of the guys that were out there early are playing.

They went through conditioning drills and are out for tonight.

Looking at mostly backups and rookies for the duration of this one.

Still some intriguing guys playing.

None of the guys that were out there early are playing.

They went through conditioning drills and are out for tonight.

Looking at mostly backups and rookies for the duration of this one.

Still some intriguing guys playing.

Why wouldn't Fuller, Reader, McKinney, or Hopkins play?

Are we just going to bubble wrap everyone until the season starts?

Back