Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Predictions for Yates first start

euro-Texan

Rookie
I think Kubiak knows what will happen if we don't try to throw the ball. I think he can remember back to last Sunday that is. I was at the game and commended to the person behind me at the end of the first, "I told you Leinart would figure it out." only to be told, "Okay, Is Leinart #13?" So I will choose to remember only the small portion of the first half in which TJ played to base my opinion. That, and a depleted Falcons secondary.

TJ Yates - 18 - 29 - 245yds - 2 TD (Foster and AJ) - 0 INT + 1 fumbled snap.

It's my opinion and I'm sticking with it!

I have a gut feeling that Rackers will be busy. I have a feeling that Kubes will give Yates a decent amount of "leash" between the 20s but will go conservative in the "red zone" to protect the three points. For that reason I don't expect a TD pass (hope I'm VERY wrong), but I think his stats will be adequate (around 60% completions in 20-25 passes with 0 or 1 INT).

Even if Kubiak goes conservative in the redzone, there is always the chance of 1) a long score before they reach the redzone, or 2) a guy who makes a play and breaks a tackle on a screen or short pass that could still give him a td pass.

I think Yates will be ok, the kid seemed to challenge deep a decent amount at NC and is athletic enough to be moved around on bootlegs to get him comfortable in open space for some good play action. I figure he is good for 1 td (figure he gets a chance to throw one, since most close in attempts should be rushing) and probably make a rookie mistake for 1 int. I figure his yardage will be in the 175-200 area.

The way I see it, I would love to have him throw a fair bit. With Atlanta struggling with their pass D and then losing their best corner, it is worth it for him to test it. Even if he makes a mistake and throws an INT or two, as long as he makes more plays than he gives away, I am ok with letting the D try to cover up for the mistakes.

Hopefully Yates is a lot more confident than Leinart was, so I hope we don't see those annoying 3 yard checkdowns. Kubes needs to let the boy fling it and get Andre involved.

I predict that Bill will have a beer, go to a strip club, have another beer, get a lap dance, have another beer...then go home & shower so that he and Joe can go watch Yates start on Sunday...then have another beer.

I think Kubiak knows what will happen if we don't try to throw the ball. I think he can remember back to last Sunday that is.

I think he'll go waaaaaaaay back to when Matt Schaub QB'd this team & went 11-15 against Tampa Bay in a win, 14-23 vs Cleveland, 18-23 vs Tennessee, & still score 30 points.

TJ will probably throw in the low 20s for 3 TDs (off big plays from OD, Arian, & Aj)

17-31 1 TD 2 INTS
146 Yards Passing
Sacked 3 times
51.2 QB Rating

Team Rushing:
27 carries for 88 yards

We lose by 10.

Sorry, just being realistic. Obviously, I hope I'm proven wrong

17-31 1 TD 2 INTS
146 Yards Passing
Sacked 3 times
51.2 QB Rating

Team Rushing:
27 carries for 88 yards

We lose by 10.

Sorry, just being realistic. Obviously, I hope I'm proven wrong

Please tell me the difference between realistic and pessimistic. Thanks in advance.

I think you guys are going to be surprised here. Yates is an unknown and will have the element of surprise on his side. Remember Bucky Richardson in his first few games for the Oilers back in the 1990's. T.J. Yates is likely to enjoy a similar grace period before reality sets in. Hopefully that grace period can be stretched out to last at least of the regular season.

Meanwhile, the Falcons will be loading the box with 8 guys to stop the Texan's formidable running game and to force the rookie QB to throw the ball. Kubiak will have game-planned for this during the week and will have prepared Yates to take advantage of this situation.

Also, Andre Johnson will be much more in synch this week, after spending last week largely knocking off the rust from his 7-week layoff. Expect James Casey to see more action in the passing game this week, probably with at least one big gainer. The tight ends Dreesen and Daniels will catch some balls. And Arian Foster will have more receiving yards than running yards, again.

T. J. Yates - 19/30 for 245 yards, 2 TD, 1 Int.

Texans win 24-16.

I predict that Bill will have a beer, go to a strip club, have another beer, get a lap dance, have another beer...then go home & shower so that he and Joe can go watch Yates start on Sunday...then have another beer.

Fail Bill wont have a beer at the strip club , he'll have a scotch.

216yds 1td 1int sackd 3 times

I am wanting Foster & Tate to go crazy running the ball combine for 190+ against a great ATL run def

Realistic would probably be "I'm not sure what TJ Yates is capable of". Just a thought.

Best case scenario of a late round QB...Tom Brady...was 24-47 with 254 yards 0 TDs and 0 ints in his first two games. So setting Tom Brady as the bar for success by a late round QB, I wouldn't expect anymore than that. It is not being pessimistic to assume that TJ Yates won't fair even that well, its being realistic by comparing what successful QBs have done in their first starts.

Playing a pretty good defense that's a team in a must win situation and this being Yate's first start of his career??? I'm guessing it's going to be a pretty ugly game, but I"ll hope for the best.

I think its going to be pretty bad.

Folks acting like Leinart and Yates should be blazing out of the gates are setting themselves up for disappointment IMO. Not even schaub came out blazing from the get go.

Hopefully Yates proves me wrong as I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Best case scenario of a late round QB...Tom Brady...was 24-47 with 254 yards 0 TDs and 0 ints in his first two games. So setting Tom Brady as the bar for success by a late round QB, I wouldn't expect anymore than that. It is not being pessimistic to assume that TJ Yates won't fair even that well, its being realistic by comparing what successful QBs have done in their first starts.

ever heard of cam newton ???

Folks acting like Leinart and Yates should be blazing out of the gates are setting themselves up for disappointment IMO. Not even schaub came out blazing from the get go.

Schaub was unfamiliar with the style of offense that we run when he got here and also didn't really fit athletically. He's made it work since then, but it did take him some time for him to figure it out.

Yates has been in an offense much like the Texans offense for some time now. He also fits athletically with the scheme, as he throws the ball pretty accurately on the run. I expect to see some mistakes in decision making, but I don't expect to see an ugly offense out there. I have full confidence that Yates will be able to RUN the offense with good tempo and rhythm. Schaub was known for his ability to sell the play fake, but Yates was too when he was at North Carolina. It's obviously something that Kubiak coaches his QBs to do, so I am also not worried about our play action game.

All eyes are on Yates' decision making not his ability to run this offense.

When it comes to starting a 3rd string 5th round rookie QB, there isn't much of a difference LOL

Sure there is. Just ask Tom Brady how excited fans were to have him step on the field for the first time.

While I am not saying Yates is the next Brady, I am saying it is still an option that Yates will be able to lead this team just as well as Schaub has to this point.

Yates has shown poise and confidence so far and that was in a game during a 2 minute drill that he had not prepared for. I am confident he can be just as good if not better in a game he has fully prepped for as the starter.

With the luck of our team... I can see why you would be pessimistic though. :)

Edit: just saw your last post, but I am leaving mine up because I think Yates has potential at this point rather than a skill set to be nervous about.

Meanwhile, the Falcons will be loading the box with 8 guys to stop the Texan's formidable running game and to force the rookie QB to throw the ball.
I don't think a defense will consistently put 8 men in the box versus the Texans, with Andre Johnson on the field. It's been documented that Jacksonville wasn't putting 8 men in the box often last week. Plus, the Falcons are beat up at CB this week, and won't want to put their reserves on an island very often. Given the nature of the offense (play action, bootlegs), I still think Yates will get his chances. But I think he'll see more zones and zone blitzes than straight up man defenses.

Prediction? Despite the Falcons formidable run defense, the Texans will gain more yards on the ground than the air. Yates goes 9-19 (most of the incompletions being throwaways) for 130 yards, no TDs, no INTs.

T.J. "Rowdy" Yates will do just fine.

images
images

probably needs to squint more though... gives you that "I'm not fazed by anything" look

At this point in the season with our 1st and 2nd QB gone for the year- all we have is to believe that TJ is the ONE. But no one will know till the game is played. He could end up being just a good backup or he could be the next Montana or Brady.

With him being a 4 year starter in college and that college just happens to run our offense, I just have to believe (with a lot of praying and wishing and hoping thrown in) that he will be able to lead this team not only to the Division Champs, but the Conference Champs and the SB Champs. Why not?? On any given Sunday . . . . and it is the Season for Miracles.

12/19 (63%) for 102 yards; 1 TD 0 INTs

Modest, but solid stats for a rookie's first start. On a side note, I'm going to predicts that Foster and Tate combine for over 100+ yards and along with defense, we finish ahead of the Falcons 23-13

Schaub was unfamiliar with the style of offense that we run when he got here and also didn't really fit athletically. He's made it work since then, but it did take him some time for him to figure it out.

Yates has been in an offense much like the Texans offense for some time now. He also fits athletically with the scheme, as he throws the ball pretty accurately on the run. I expect to see some mistakes in decision making, but I don't expect to see an ugly offense out there. I have full confidence that Yates will be able to RUN the offense with good tempo and rhythm. Schaub was known for his ability to sell the play fake, but Yates was too when he was at North Carolina. It's obviously something that Kubiak coaches his QBs to do, so I am also not worried about our play action game.

All eyes are on Yates' decision making not his ability to run this offense.

Schaub ran the west coast offense at Virginia and with the falcons.

Maybe not the exact same scheme as this one, but the fact that he was somewhat familiar with what we do is one of the reasons we brought him in.

You can try to sell me on Yates all you want and your expectations can be sky high. That's your prerogative.

I'm really not even sure what you're saying though because decision making and ability to run the offense go hand in hand.

Look, I'm not saying Yates is going to suck. I'm just saying I'm not expecting him to be the savior. . .especially not in his first game as a starter against a pretty good team.

Now, if it happens, great. Awesome in fact. I'd be pumped. But im not expecting it.

Hmm... A 3rd string QB that was a fifth round draft-pick? I just don't know... I will say i figured Yates would be drafted a little higher after paying attention to him a bit in college, but he wasn't and here we are...

He has some good tools, and is familiar with this offense, we just have to hope he does well enough, and keep the rookie mistakes to a mininum.. i mean overall i like him as a QB, and he for sure has a helluva supporting cast around him for this role...

Good kuck, Kid!

Sent from my ryePhone 12G using Tapakeg

My thought is that Kubiak should approach this game as an opportunity for TJ to
learn as much about the Texans offense including its receivers as possible and develope his strengths whatever they might be ? IMO accomplishing those goals is almost as important as winning the game, which realistically speaking is highly unlikely. Texans fans seem to be focused on the Texans getting a high playoff seed, while Kubiak should be focused on those 2 or 3 games that are most winnable with the rookie QB so that he can in fact win the division and get into the playoffs

My thought is that Kubiak should approach this game as an opportunity for TJ to
learn as much about the Texans offense including its receivers as possible and develope his strengths whatever they might be ? IMO accomplishing those goals is almost as important as winning the game, which realistically speaking is highly unlikely. Texans fans seem to be focused on the Texans getting a high playoff seed, while Kubiak should be focused on those 2 or 3 games that are most winnable with the rookie QB so that he can in fact win the division and get into the playoffs

I don't think Yates is going to be the next Brady. I don't know that he'll be a star or even challenge Schaub or Leinart for a job next year.

However, some of us have been questioning Schaub's contribution to the team this year. He has not played up to the standard we became accustomed to.

Then Leinart came into the game & the talk was, so what, it's not like Schaub has been winning games for us.

Leinart didn't do anything special last week. He played well enough to gain a lead on the #5 defense.

All Yates has to do, is play as well as Leinart did last week & we've got a chance vs Atlanta.

That's setting the bar very low. That's putting faith in the team. This year, it's been about the team.

I predict Yates won't be throwing the ball past the end zone unless there's an elligible receiver nearby. :D

I predict there will be no mittens.

I predict TJ will show no fear.

I predict we'll see this team step it up a notch, rallying behind "the kid".

Gma said something about it in another thread, but the oline has to step up.

They will be a huge factor in how well he plays.

1st overall pick vs. 5th round pick. And Cam has lead his team to 2-9 I believe? Yeahhhhhh
With a decent D, Carolina would have a lot better record.
Remember that time when a 6th round draft pick took the entire NFL by storm, including a certain #1 overall pick? Tom Brady, Mr. 6th round pick, has pretty well owned Peyton Manning, Mr. #1 overall, over the years. You might want to go to McDonalds and get a happy meal or something. They come with neat little toys that will distract you and make you feel better. :kitten:

1st overall pick vs. 5th round pick. And Cam has lead his team to 2-9 I believe? Yeahhhhhh

This statement shows a lack of credibility when it comes to seeing things for what they truly are, thus your prediction is taken with a grain of salt.

More like Cam's team has him at 2-9... Cam has been terrific from a rookie QB standpoint. However, record aside, Cam's play has been very surprising to most anyone, excluding Panther nation.

However, I do understand and respect the notion of preparing for the worst, hoping for the best... That in itself is a birth right of any Houston Texan Fan.

Last edited:
My pipe dream vision: 20-30 for 250 yds. 1 int - 2 tds. 30+ rushing yards

I hope Houston can get 27 points on the board which is a TREMENDOUS amount to ask from a rookie in his first start against a good NFL team. Atlanta is a vertical offense. They will likely get theirs.

Kubes factor: 15-17 for 150 yds. 0 int - 1 td.

It will be a field position game where Kubes will rely heavily on special teams, Defense and clock management.

I'd almost expect Kubes to be more likely to have scripted a trick play before scripting TJ to have 25+ pass attempts.

Overall, I don't think TJ will be asked to do too much unless Houston gets down by 14 points. God forbid.

This statement shows a lack of credibility when it comes to seeing things for what they truly are, thus your prediction is taken with a grain of salt.

More like Cam's team has him at 2-9... Cam has been terrific from a rookie QB standpoint. However, record aside, Cam's play has been very surprising to most anyone, excluding Panther nation.

However, I do understand and respect the notion of preparing for the worst, hoping for the best... That in itself is a birth right of any Houston Texan Fan.

Cam has been terrific....with a 0.86 TD-INT Ratio....he turns the ball over. Then again a lot of rookie QBs do. If Yates doesn't, I'd be thrilled. I'd consider it a successful day.

With a decent D, Carolina would have a lot better record.
Remember that time when a 6th round draft pick took the entire NFL by storm, including a certain #1 overall pick? Tom Brady, Mr. 6th round pick, has pretty well owned Peyton Manning, Mr. #1 overall, over the years. You might want to go to McDonalds and get a happy meal or something. They come with neat little toys that will distract you and make you feel better. :kitten:

I've already posted about the Tom Brady argument. Maybe he will be good over time, but its still his first nfl start...

In case you guys haven't noticed I'm not expecting much. Either is most of the nation. Wish I could be drinking all of the koolaid you guys are. Hopefully today will change my mind. But I've followed this team for 10 years, and even though this team hasn't looked like those teams, as a Texan fan, you always expect the worst. I still stand by my prediction. I'd love to eat crow, though.

I've heard nothing but good things about TJ, I saw someone who was better than what I'd expect from a 5th Round rookie last week, and he seems to have a better arm than Schaub, which should open up the deep ball to AJ and Jacoby plenty.

That means I want to see him allowed to throw the deep ball. I want Kubiak to allow TJ Yates the opportunity to lose this game (or win it of course).

The tactics employed in the second half last week were the right ones for that situation, we got out of there with a win. That said, I think we are all slightly nervous because we've seen that sort of conservatism from Kubiak before and are hoping against hope that he isn't expecting to have a chance in games by doing that from the start. We couldn't even run the ball it was that obvious, never going to get a win like that.

When we drafted this guy we heard all about his 'Schaub like qualities', we heard how he'd run a copycat of our offense in college, and now we hear his arm is far superior to Schaub's. Let's hope that all that proves to be correct and we've got Tom Brady in the draft.

I just don't want him to turn into a Curtis Painter or Blaine Gabbert.

C'mon T.J. "Rowdy" Yates... keep them doggies rollin'
images

Back