Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Prediction: Mike Nolan, New D.C.

dalemurphy

Hall of Fame
Mike Nolan was fired from SF today. He was D.C. in Washington in the late 90s, also for the Jets in 2000, and for Baltimore between 2002-2004. His defenses have been pressure defenses that have almost always excelled at turnovers. With the Jets in 2000, he took over the 21st ranked defense and they improved to 10th that year.

By the way, he coached under Reeves in Denver from 1987-1992... Kubiak was in Denver as the backup QB for 5 of those seasons.

I wonder if they go get him now or wait... If they get him now, do they bring him on as a consultant/position asst. and then wait, or do they give him the job right now?

We'll see..

I think he'll be a head coach somewhere next year.

Our next defensive coordinator will be Frank Bush, if I were to bet on it.

The niners have the same amount of wins as we do and have a more realistic chance of winning their division and they still went ahead and canned their HC.

We are 2-4, little chance of going anywhere post-season(mathematically we could, but really.. comeon, playoffs?) and we can't even let go of our DC. Would we really taking a step back if we do? Are we going to kill any chance of going to the PO if we canned him? Hey, who knows, maybe we can actually finish outside of top 5 worst defense if we decided to jettison his ass out of town right now.

You do not want him.. Just look at our defense and how bad they play.. That's his doing not our DC Nolan calls the shots..

You'll be sorry trust me..

You do not want him.. Just look at our defense and how bad they play.. That's his doing not our DC Nolan calls the shots..

Trust me, we already feel sorry every monday morning after watching our current DC run his defense.

im a believer that that frank bush will probably be our def. coordinator next. is nolan's defensive "specialty" a 3-4 ? or is san fran not doing that well b/c he's more of a 4-3 guy? ive raised the question before b/c im not real sure: is our personnel still better suited for the 3-4? i feel like kubiak wants a 4-3 and he's going to get a guy that fits that mold. u cant fit a square peg in a round hole, or whatever the saying is.

im a believer that that frank bush will probably be our def. coordinator next. is nolan's defensive "specialty" a 3-4 ? or is san fran not doing that well b/c he's more of a 4-3 guy? ive raised the question before b/c im not real sure: is our personnel still better suited for the 3-4? i feel like kubiak wants a 4-3 and he's going to get a guy that fits that mold. u cant fit a square peg in a round hole, or whatever the saying is.

I don't believe he's exclusively a 3-4 guy. I think he ran both in Baltimore.

Regardless, with mario as our centerpiece, we need to be a 4-3 team.

i'm not sure i'd want him anyway. not exactly the winning mentality that we're trying to create here.

it just seems to me that our mentality as an organization is one that promotes from within. i just find it hard to believe that we'd start over on defense. just doesn't seem like something we'd do.

Disclaimer: I'm going to invoke a name that may make the substance of this post ignored.

Sometimes, a former coodinator known for running very good offensive or defensive units, when given the opportunity to be a Head Coach, fails to maintain his dominance on the side of the ball that made him famous. Afer being fired as a Head Coach and returning to being a coordinator his new unit displays the former greatness of his previous units when he was a coordinator. In otherwords, sometimes great coodinators make bad Head Coaches.

A prime example of this is Dom Capers. As head coach of the Texans, his defensive units started out strong but quickly faded until his final year in which they sucked. As a Defensive Coordinator both before and after being the Texans' Head Coach were solid units.

I don't believe he's exclusively a 3-4 guy. I think he ran both in Baltimore.

Regardless, with mario as our centerpiece, we need to be a 4-3 team.

I dunno, but many people feel that Mario ideally would be a 3-4 DE and not
4-3 DE. On the other hand I realize it would be overkill to have so much invested in a guy ("our centerpiece") who would play primarily to tie-up blocking so LBs get a shot at being the primary playmakers for the D.
And Okoye clearly would not be a fit as a 2-gapper down lineman. Of course,
he's already struggling where he's at now.

i dont like the 3-4 all the gambles with trying to figure out if a guy can convert from DE to OLB plus i don't ever want to have to reset the personnel in the front 7. we are not even close to being a 3-4 with our front 4. now i guess we could trade our entire Dline (CLE) but that would mean giving up Mario and no way would i wish for that.

I dont want anyone from this staff to be the DC. I want a proven guy with a track record.

Hasn't Ray Rhodes been a d-coordinator before? From what I understand he is within our organization and has a great track record with The Eagles. I think he runs a 4-6 defense, so how does that impact our team? I've always kind of wondered how our players would fit in that kind of scheme.

Just as viable I think the teams we're playing this week we could see a candidate for DC. Marvin Lewis.I'm not at all opposed to seeing Mike Nolan take over duties here though.

Prior to his HC gig in Cinci he did a great job with Baltimore's defense and took a talented but under achieving defense in DC to a top 10 defense.

I don't see all the calls for going back to a 3-4. It's taken us several years to get decent talent to go back to a 4-3. I think it'd be a giant waste of talent to put Mario as a 3-4 DE and we just don't have the LB talent needed right now to make that leap. Only way we'd do that is if we put ALL our effort this offseason into retooling the defense. We've got some good and decent pieces to finishing off a 4-3. I'd prefer the staff finish that off.

Ray Rhodes is medically unfit to be a full-time DC but I'd love to see him totally replace Hoke at the end of the season.

Disclaimer: I'm going to invoke a name that may make the substance of this post ignored.

Sometimes, a former coodinator known for running very good offensive or defensive units, when given the opportunity to be a Head Coach, fails to maintain his dominance on the side of the ball that made him famous. Afer being fired as a Head Coach and returning to being a coordinator his new unit displays the former greatness of his previous units when he was a coordinator. In otherwords, sometimes great coodinators make bad Head Coaches.

A prime example of this is Dom Capers. As head coach of the Texans, his defensive units started out strong but quickly faded until his final year in which they sucked. As a Defensive Coordinator both before and after being the Texans' Head Coach were solid units.

I think Dave Wannstedt will always fall into this category...pro or college.

Dom Capers defense was ok until we started shipping off our veterans that dared speak ill of Carr in the locker room (glenn and walker) and when we started drafting Travis Johnson over Derrick Johnson. Go back to the 2-14 year, it wasn't our defense that cost us that year. It was our inability to do anything on offense except turn the ball over and get sacked.

I would gladly welcome Capers back but we have already altered our personnel to better suit the 4-3 although a move to the 3-4 wouldn't be the end of the world.

Anything that gets rid of Richard Smith is A-OK in my book, anyway.

oh and Hoke is a joke. when your secondary is such an abomination, why would you promote its coach to DC? to save money? well that certainly fits into McNair's plan (see his most recent interview)

oh and Hoke is a joke. when your secondary is such an abomination, why would you promote its coach to DC? to save money? well that certainly fits into McNair's plan (see his most recent interview)

C'mon. lol. That's not fair. Mr Mcnair was speaking about remaining
economically viable after the damage caused by Hurricane Ike.
lol:fans:

Back