Pre-Season Sack Responsibility

Discussion in 'Texans Talk' started by infantrycak, Aug 20, 2006.

1. infantrycak

infantrycak Mod. Staff Member

Every year there is a lot of dicussion about who is responsible for sacks so maybe we can keep a running discussion on each one. Hopefully there won't be many to discuss.

Pre-season Sack 1--Texans @ Rams--1st qtr 14:16

I'd put this one squarely on Lundy failing to pick up the blitzing LB.

2. Carr Bombed

Carr Bombed Hall of Fame

I agree, I saw a replay of the entire 1st quarter and the Oline was doing a good job, Lundy just didn't pick up the blitz.

3. AFD1717

AFD1717 Veteran

That's not unusual for a rookie RB.

4. RiotCommander

RiotCommander All Pro

Lundy cannot block anyone period. I'm just thankful that Morency was quickly put in to shore up that problem. He did an outstanding job stopping anyone coming in.

5. infantrycak

Little early to be making that determination. Blocking is something most RB's have to work on once they hit the NFL and is coachable. They need to get him cut blocking the way Morency was repeatedly.

6. RiotCommander

RiotCommander All Pro

Guess I should have said "was not able to block anyone". The only time I noticed him stopping anyone was that time he got called for holding. I will have to wait to watch the game again to see if I missed any. :)

7. Brandyon

Brandyon Rookie

I agree. Though not picking up is a common rookie mistake. He just needs some time. Morency looked outstanding though

8. TexansTailg8r

TexansTailg8r Veteran

I would imagine that Kubes will have a film session with him. He'll show better effort next game. :lightbulb:

9. Double Barrel

Double Barrel Modified Simian

Even for pre-season games, the fact that we've only seen one sack is encouraging. :thumbup

10. Jwwillis

Jwwillis All Pro

True, but there are things Carr may have done to avoid the sack. It looked as if he could have stepped up in the pocket instead running into the defender. We have seen him do this before. Of couse this is easier said than done with the speed in the NFL.

11. Jwwillis

Jwwillis All Pro

209 sacks in 5yrs....Things are fixed in pre-season BEFORE the sky falls.

12. Runner

Runner Hubcap Diamond Staff Member

As Sports Illustrated would say, signs the apocalypse is upon us.

13. Hervoyel

Hervoyel The Right Track

True, and last season Morency looked not much better than Lundy does now so clearly it can be taught.

Also I think the Texans as a team (and we as fans of that team) tend to be a little over sensative to sacks. It's understandable considering our brief history but one sack in two games is outstanding. I distinctly saw the jitters kick into high gear when Carr took that sack. I got that feeling in the pit of my stomach when it happened. Carr calmed down and kept on going which is what he needs to do. Everybody is going to get sacked and he's going to have to learn that a couple of sacks aren't the end of the world and don't mean (anymore) that 7 or 8 more are coming that day.

edo783 likes this.
  14. the wonger need food

the wonger need food Hall of Fame

I'd put this one on Carr for not stepping up. IMO, he ran himself into this sack.

15. infantrycak

I saw this comment in your other thread and went back to watch it a couple more times figuring you would restate it here. Lundy got run back right in front of Carr--there was no step up into the pocket available. He tried to get to the side working against the rusher's momentum but didn't get far enough in time. There was zero running into the sack. There will undoubtedly be times when Carr is at fault, but this one isn't an example unless you are of the mindset that the price of gas is his fault also.

There was no step forward available--Lundy and the Defender came so far in they were directly in front of Carr. Carr has failed to step up before, but this time it wasn't available.

michaelm and Hervoyel like this.
  16. mamoo

mamoo Rookie

When I talked to Lundy, he said the most important thing for any running back is to be able to pick up the blitz. So he knows and will learn from his mistake.

17. NoBullTexan

NoBullTexan Veteran

Now, if and when Dominick Davis gets back, lets hope he has picked up on the way Morency is blocking, and takes it to heart. Or was it the buffoons we used to call coaches last year unable to coach that one little aspect of the game? Guess so. Results speak for themselves.

What beats me is we should all be hoping that Carr is the QB to finally take us over the top in the won-loss column. If we are waiting on Sage or another QB to do it, it is going to be a long wait, IMO.

18. Hulk75

Hulk75 Hall of Fame

Lundy. Lets not label him yet as a guy that cant block, I just dont think he was asked to do it a lot in NCAA.

19. edo783

edo783 Site Contributor

I would give you some rep for the post CAK, but it says I have to waite. Interesting how some see things that didn't actually happen.

20. done88

done88 Veteran

I replayed that is slow motion a few times. Carr went back too far. There was clearly a pocket and if Carr had stepped into it then Lundy's block would have been fine. Instear Carr kept going back, Lundy attacked the inside leg of the defender who went outsid and made Lundy look bad. David is going to have to learn to trust the line as much as the runningbacks. Later in the game I saw him step into the pocket a couple of times. Hopefully some of Kubiack's yelling sank in on him.

hollywood_texan likes this.