Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Power Rankings, I disagree obviously.

southtexan

Waterboy
TheOgre said:
One of the reasons that we are not ranked higher is that we cannot beat good teams. The Jags (8-7) are the only team with a winning record that we have beaten all year. Even that will change if they lose to the Raiders. If we want respect, we need to finish off games like the ones against the Vikings, Packers, Chargers, and Colts (the home game). Those came down to the end and we blew it.

Excellent quote

TexansTrueFan said:
stupid power rankings mean little. They rank which ever team they like better higher. I'm guessing they are all saying our wins over jacksonville are all flukes ! I still feel a lack of respect here :hmmm: guess we'll have to win the superbowl before we get recognized as a contender

I used to be one howling respect us, now after seeing how little respect we get and how our team comes out and kicks butt...DISRESPECT us all you want...I want all 13 teams we paly in 2005 to trash talk us at every opportunity.

Dallas Cowboys trash talked us we sent them home hurting, Miami said we were a practice game we practiced being 1st expansion team to win Back 2 Back season openers.

Jacksonville players saying we weren't rivals to them and they looked at it as another game

Dis us and learn so what DRob isn't in pro bowl let QB's throw at him next season he will get double digit INT's. Dis our D and get pounded.

I LOVE THIS lack o respect :jumpbanan

Hervoyel

BUENO!
Dime, just my 2 cents here but...

I for one do not particularly care for Byron Leftwich. I've got nothing against him personally or anything and I'm sure he's a stand-up kind of guy. I just don't see what makes this guy a great quarterback. I see a guy with legs of stone. I see a guy who comes apart when you get to him. I don't see any innate pocket presence or ability to feel the pressure coming. He's always been (against the Texans at any rate) pretty easy to get to and pretty much lousy when he's plodding for his life.

In games against the Texans he's been innacurate and fumble prone. I've seen him drop balls when nobody was even near him. Not fumble a bad snap or botch a handoff. I mean standing there with nobody around him or plodding along outside the pocket and just flat out dropping the ball.

I read where Byron's tough. He keeps getting hit and keeps getting back up. Newsflash people, learning that your quarterback can get his head beaten in and still stay in a game is not a good thing. If your quarterback is getting pounded hard enough to have people around the NFL talking about what a tough guy he is for getting back up then you're not a team with a tough quarterback. You're a team that can't protect your quarterback. The Texans and David Carr can tell you all about that. Is it a good thing that Steve McNair can play through injuries that would send a lesser man to the sideline? Well maybe but the fact that he's been so banged up over the years that he's talking about retirement (however passing that might be) is a sign that the rep he got from being so tough isn't worth it.

Tough is good. Tough like I saw Sunday is stupid. I give Byron no points for that nor do I give the Jags any for having a "tough" QB. They've got an accurate, immobile, and easily flustered target back there. That type of QB is in the process of being run out of the NFL by speed rushing ends and linebackers as we speak.

Congrats on drafting a younger, less mobile (but mighty tough!) wannabe Dan Marino. You better learn to protect him like he's made of glass because just sitting there being able to take a lick is going to get him to where Steve McNair's mind is a lot faster than Steve got there.

I don't get all worried that Byron Leftwich is going to tear the Texans up. When McNair starts leading the Titans back on us I get nervous. When Manning comes to the line I hope we can keep him under some kind of control. When Leftwich gets ready to take the snap I actually feel better when I know it's a passing down and he's likely to throw. As poor as the Texans pass rush has been at times this season I was sure that if there was one guy the Texans could catch it would be Leftwich.

Dime

Veteran
Hervoyel said:

I for one do not particularly care for Byron Leftwich. I've got nothing against him personally or anything and I'm sure he's a stand-up kind of guy. I just don't see what makes this guy a great quarterback. I see a guy with legs of stone. I see a guy who comes apart when you get to him. I don't see any innate pocket presence or ability to feel the pressure coming. He's always been (against the Texans at any rate) pretty easy to get to and pretty much lousy when he's plodding for his life.

In games against the Texans he's been innacurate and fumble prone. I've seen him drop balls when nobody was even near him. Not fumble a bad snap or botch a handoff. I mean standing there with nobody around him or plodding along outside the pocket and just flat out dropping the ball.

I read where Byron's tough. He keeps getting hit and keeps getting back up. Newsflash people, learning that your quarterback can get his head beaten in and still stay in a game is not a good thing. If your quarterback is getting pounded hard enough to have people around the NFL talking about what a tough guy he is for getting back up then you're not a team with a tough quarterback. You're a team that can't protect your quarterback. The Texans and David Carr can tell you all about that. Is it a good thing that Steve McNair can play through injuries that would send a lesser man to the sideline? Well maybe but the fact that he's been so banged up over the years that he's talking about retirement (however passing that might be) is a sign that the rep he got from being so tough isn't worth it.

Tough is good. Tough like I saw Sunday is stupid. I give Byron no points for that nor do I give the Jags any for having a "tough" QB. They've got an accurate, immobile, and easily flustered target back there. That type of QB is in the process of being run out of the NFL by speed rushing ends and linebackers as we speak.

Congrats on drafting a younger, less mobile (but mighty tough!) wannabe Dan Marino. You better learn to protect him like he's made of glass because just sitting there being able to take a lick is going to get him to where Steve McNair's mind is a lot faster than Steve got there.

I don't get all worried that Byron Leftwich is going to tear the Texans up. When McNair starts leading the Titans back on us I get nervous. When Manning comes to the line I hope we can keep him under some kind of control. When Leftwich gets ready to take the snap I actually feel better when I know it's a passing down and he's likely to throw. As poor as the Texans pass rush has been at times this season I was sure that if there was one guy the Texans could catch it would be Leftwich.

Good comments.. the one reason I do like Leftwich is heart tho. In college, this boy (if you didnt know) was playing in a playoff game and had his knee blown out. The coaches went to get him out... he wouldnt let them till he finished the drive. Against his coaches wishes, he lead the team down the field (being carried to each play by his Oline) till he threw a touchdown. Then, he was out. Was this stupid.... yes... But it showed me someone who would fight through a injury for the love of competition and the game. Its the heart of this kid I like. In both the games against the Texans this year, you didnt see Byron.. He wasnt playing or even acting like himself. All I have to say, is love him or hate him, lets just not underestimate him...

Ibar_Harry

All Pro
Herv so much of the ESPN power rating is based on w-l record. Therefore, the Jags didn't drop much because of that. We simply were put in a larger grouping with similar records. When that happens we tend to wind up on the bottom of that group. The Bears win was not a quality win. In reality the Jags win is probably questionable by many. Right or wrong that is just the way it is. However, having said that I still say this team has as much talent as any team out there, but it has never been developed by this coaching staff. We probably have a top 15 or better team.

utahmark

markbeth
i know the rankings dont mean anything but this one is annoying. we go on the road and beat the jag's and we move from 17th down to 20th and the jags are still ranked 7 spots ahead of us. didnt we beat them both times we played them? how do you lose 3 spots after a win on the road to a team that was ranked 9 spots ahead of you? and the game wasnt even close.

BWPaint

Practice Squad
markbeth said:
i know the rankings dont mean anything but this one is annoying. we go on the road and beat the jag's and we move from 17th down to 20th and the jags are still ranked 7 spots ahead of us. didnt we beat them both times we played them? how do you lose 3 spots after a win on the road to a team that was ranked 9 spots ahead of you? and the game wasnt even close.
Personnaly I want all the media to say we stink...we are a bunch of losers...

...if you think about it, when is the last time that the press was right?
they are usually correct when they "REPORT the NEWS", but when they "Give Their Opinion", they are wrong 99% of the time!

Don't let it get you down...this will work to our benefit

Can anyone name me one time any of these "self-proclaimed experts" were right....hell this board knows more than any sports (I could never play the games, so I write about it) writer....

All the players of other teams read their columns and take it for gospel...THAT IS THE BEST THING WE CAN HAVE GOING FOR US.....just another arrow in our bow....I love it actually....

let them cut us down...it will be so much sweeter....

Hervoyel said:

This is exactly what I am talking about when I say I feel bad that we always play like **** against you guys. I doubt you've watched any Jags games but the two against you. I doubt you watched him lead us down the field against Kansas City or trade scoring drives with Peyton Manning.

You also have to remember Leftwich is a second year QB. A lot of people, both Jags fans and otherwise, seem to expect so much of him, but he's still very young and still developing. People have been spoiled by guys like Manning and Big Ben doing so well in their first or second year, and forget guys like Carr, Brees, Favre, McNair, etc took a little longer to develop.

And what QB isn't going to get flustered when the protection gets to him? Even greats like Favre still make bad decisions in the face of pressure. It's not Leftwich's fault his LT is out and the backup is absolute garbage. And before you cite his lack of mobility as the reason he's sacked, Carr, Culpepper and Vick are among the most sacked QBs in the league, despite their large mobility advantage over Leftwich. Conversely, Manning and Favre are sacked very little.

jagsfanincanada said:
A few bad games and we are overrated? What happened when you played Denver, and what happened when we played them? How bout Indy in Indy? Green Bay? Must be nice to see us twice in a year, both with our two best offensive players hurt. :rolleyes:
Denver lost the game to the Jags because they wanted Elam to kick from the center of the field. It was an unforced fumble by Quentin Griffin. That wasn't a win as much as a loss by the Broncos. It was also in Florida instead of Denver.

I could care less where ESPN has the Texans ranked. The fact of the matter is when it comes to Jacksonville the Texans have big time Scoreboard. Carr has lost only 1 game to the Jags in his brief career. Taylor started the first game but came out limp as usual. Leftwich only missed a few plays in the first matchup. He was pulled because he stunk up the joint in the rematch.

I don't remember Jacksonville giving up the 27-0 win last season against a Texans team with Ragone in his first game ever and Hollings in his first start.

On a side note, Brees threw for 3200 yards in his 2nd season, his first season as a starter, and 17 TDs. . He slipped up last season behind a bad line and Marty's QB juggling job. He didn't take longer to develop. Favre threw for 3200 yards and 18 TDs in his 2nd season, also his first as a starter. Carr was hurt much of his 2nd season so it's hard to tell where he is, but I've watched him lead the Texans back against good teams and trade scoring drives with the best in the game as well.

TexanBacker55 said:
Denver lost the game to the Jags because they wanted Elam to kick from the center of the field. It was an unforced fumble by Quentin Griffin. That wasn't a win as much as a loss by the Broncos. It was also in Florida instead of Denver.
We still held them to 6, while you got blown out.

TexanBacker55 said:
Carr has lost only 1 game to the Jags in his brief career. Taylor started the first game but came out limp as usual. Leftwich only missed a few plays in the first matchup. He was pulled because he stunk up the joint in the rematch.
As usual? Taylor is almost never injured anymore. And maybe Leftwich stunk it up because he had a concussion? I suppose you've played professional football with a concussion before? :rolleyes:

texman8 said:
Sorry, Manning and Favre play behind two of the best OLs in NFL.
Manning has had a bunch of rookies and no names starting at guard pretty much the entire year. Maybe he makes them look better than they are?

jagsfanincanada said:
We still held them to 6, while you got blown out.

As usual? Taylor is almost never injured anymore. And maybe Leftwich stunk it up because he had a concussion? I suppose you've played professional football with a concussion before? :rolleyes:
I realize he had a concussion, but he wasn't exactly doing anything before the hit. You think it was preconcussion symptoms that caused him to drop the ball???

Doug

Rookie
It's funny how all the talk is about Fred and Leftwich in this game yet I can't count how many dropped balls there were from several recievers. They all just looked scared! LOL

infantrycak said:
Well you are really going to hate CBS's power rankings then:

Link

Somehow winning against a "better" team moved the Hags down from 8 to 13 AND moved the Texans down from 17 to 20. Yeah, that makes sense.

That just goes to show that the only rankings you should rely are the NFL's ranking people at espn and cbs and others don't really pay attention to whats going on they just have to fill some space or time so they get together and drink bourbon and throw out what they think(IMO) :hairpull:

TexanBacker55 said:
I realize he had a concussion, but he wasn't exactly doing anything before the hit. You think it was preconcussion symptoms that caused him to drop the ball???
He threw 2 passes before the fumble.

TexasJedi

Veteran
We did better in Dr. Z's rankings. :)

13 19 (previously) Houston Texans (7-8)

No, the 21-0 victory over Jacksonville didn't earn them the six-position jump, although it helped. I have to keep them ahead of the Jags, whom they have beaten twice -- and Jacksonville is better than the middle-range teams that follow, so I'm kind of pinned here.

14 8 (previously) Jacksonville Jaguars (8-7)

Speak of the devil. OK, excuses abound, I know. Fred Taylor was out. Byron Leftwich was knocked goofy. But when you're a playoff-caliber team you have to respond with a serious defensive effort, and allowing Domanick (can't really believe that's spelled right) Davis a career high 150 yards doesn't qualify.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/dr_z/12/29/z.rankings/index.html

edo783

Hall of Fame
I think Dr. "Z" is a putz, but at least he recognises that we beat J-ville twice and that counts for a better ranking.

AlbinoRat said:
Did you have 7 bad games? no eight, cause you barely beat the titans. if we are talking about injuries, Denver, alot of injuries this year. Indy, Peyton Manning, nuff said. Green Bay came down to the end. And yes it is nice to see you twice a year, do you know how many people we had hurt this past week? and davis was hurt when we played you the first time
a) I have no idea what point you're trying to make with the Denver thing. Are you blaming your loss to them on your injuries, or their loss to us on their injuries?
b) Peyton Manning threw 2 tds at home to us, and lost. He threw 5 against you, and won by 35 points.
c) You lost to Green Bay, in Houston. We beat them, in Lambeau. Nuff said.
d) Our two best offensive players are hurt both times we play you, and you're whining about injuries?! Need I remind you what happened to your team when you played us last year without your RB and QB? I think they make a little more difference than a guard and a free safety. :)

AlbinoRat said:
a)yours
b)what happened the other time yall played
c)thats true, good for you
d)do you know who our free saftey was last year? Matt stevens, and im merely noting your injuries make no difference if your "a playoff contender"
e)next time i want your opinion, ill smack it out of you
Good times :)

a) It was the 2nd game of the year. Who did they have injured?
b) He threw 2 tds and we lost by 7.
c) It sure is. Too bad we sucked it up the next game :thumbdown :thud:
d) I was talking about your guard and free safety being out for this last game we just played.
e) No.

And no, no jaguars in Jacksonville. It's just alliteration.

Fiddy

All Pro
jagsfanincanada said:
And no, no jaguars in Jacksonville. It's just alliteration.
Dang. I owe my english teachers apologies. I told them that I would never hear the word alliteration outside of school...